Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Was Eren originally a titan?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Counterpuncher's Avatar
    Country
    Libya
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Eren originally a titan?

From what I understood from the story so far is that Ymir was originally a titan wandering outside the walls until she ate Berik and became human again. Ymir stated that she has no memories from the time she was a titan and that Eren doesn't seem to remember either! Do you think that Eren was also a titan who was brought somehow into the Jaeger family after regaining his human form?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was Eren originally a titan?

probably not because of his flashbacks of his father injecting him with a syrum after wall Maria falls, and it is asusmed by Eren in the manga that that is where he got his powers.

I wondered too, but it seems too unfeasable with our current knowledge
    Kartoffeln sind gut

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it seems that the titan shifters begin as humans. ymir was not a titan shifter before hand.

though the big question i have is this. what makes eren different? his titan form is surprisingly powrful despite hsi immense inexperience with it, but that does not seem to entitle not only his abduction but the cancelation of theri original orders...... from waht it stated most titan shfiters unfortuantelly mentally devolve after transformation, becoming mentally like titans if likely more powerful. however it seems clear there was not a large neough gap in time between eren's last memory of his father and him surviving with mikasa. not to mention ymir herself wandered around for seventy years as a titan. yet eren..... if that injection is what changed him then that means he did not wander around.
    though it could be that the serum takes time to take hold. which would mean that his first transformation was indeed when he ruptured out of a titan's stomach..... yet then THAT conflicts with the story ymir and the other titan shifters have. true eren did not seem sapient during those moments, but he never targeted a human being once during his trasnformation, and did not try to eat the titans, just butcher them.... even when he lost his shit in his second transformtion he attacked to kill not to eat.

...this is the only manga i read that punishes me for my curiousity and wanting to continue it. cthere is so many mysteris, the few answers given so far make too much damn sense, yet the last chapter left me elgitimately afraid for mikasa.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe his father injected him with so he could remember what he did when he was a titan

http://tinyurl.com/o99llgk
    btw wtf does he mean ''their memories''

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hectorpops's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

His father said "use it" which implies usage of an ability the injection will give to him, you can't normally use memories so most likely the injection made him a shifter

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorpops View Post
    His father said "use it" which implies usage of an ability the injection will give to him, you can't normally use memories so most likely the injection made him a shifter
    Actually, it sounds more like "their memories" will help him "use [something]" he already had to begin with. Idk, that dialogue was pretty vague. You do "use" memories. If somebody injected you with something that gave you all the memories of the greatest basketball player ever, you'd suddenly know how to be badass at basketball. You'd just have to let the rest of your body catch up, what with muscle memory being what it is.

Shifting seems similar- it's more like everyone everywhere is already infected with whatever causes titanification, but there needs to be some catalyst to initiate transformation. Voluntary for shifters, involuntary for the Ape's victims.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner eton's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Berthold gives us his supposed backstory, look at the main panel:

http://i33.mangareader.net/shingeki-...in-2529477.jpg
    (chapter 13, page 16)

A silhouetted figure standing at an open window, a shadowy titan's face peering in.
    The inclusion of this panel makes me think Berthold's story was something very close to the truth,
    which is to say, he was at some point (possibly long, long ago) living in a village with Reiner
    when titans attacked.
    The human in the panel is Berthold, the storyteller.
    The decision to include this panel, rather than just remaining on Berthold's face the whole time he tells his story,
    makes me think the story is in its basic details authentic & not fraudulent.

Reiner chastises Berthold for telling this story. Why? If it was purely a lie they'd both agreed on,
    Reiner wouldn't rebuke him. Something in this story was revealing too much.
    The question then is, when & where did this happen to Berthold and Reiner?

My guess: this happened long, long ago, before humans entered the walls,
    perhaps before the 'warriors' as a race came into being.

I think Berthold & Reiner were turned into titans,
    then after however many years, something similar to what happened to Ymir happened to BAR.
    They gained the ability to return to human form, and the ability to shift.

This same sequence of events must have happened to Eren too,
    in a past he can't remember because of his 'father's' intervention.

So yes, Eren spent time as a mindless titan before something happened (he ate the right person)
    and he was human/shifter.

Eren could be from another time--he could be older than the walls,
    he could have been roaming around as a titan for many years.
    He just can't remember any of this.
    Last edited by eton; October 04, 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Candeloro's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrdn View Post
    maybe his father injected him with so he could remember what he did when he was a titan

http://tinyurl.com/o99llgk
    btw wtf does he mean ''their memories''
    Most likely Typo. When I watched that scene, it said "Use it to regain Wall Maria".

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Candeloro View Post
    Most likely Typo. When I watched that scene, it said "Use it to regain Wall Maria".
    Nope, says the same thing in the manga too. I'll dig up some translations when I feel like it, but there is definitely an emphasis on 'memories' in that sentence.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badluckartist View Post
    Nope, says the same thing in the manga too. I'll dig up some translations when I feel like it, but there is definitely an emphasis on 'memories' in that sentence.
    Original text from volume three:
    Quote Quote:
    エレン。。。鍵を。。。ずっと 肌身離さずに持っているんだ そしてこの鍵を見るたびに 思い出せ。。。
    お前地下室に行かなくてはならないことを。。。 この注射のせいで今からお前に記憶障害が起こる。。。
    だから今説明してもダメなんだ。。。 だがいつか地下室に行けば真実が分かる。。。辛く厳しいのリだが
    お前はウォール・マリアを奪還して地下室に辿り着かなければならない。。。 この「力」はその時役に立つはずだ
    使い方は彼らの記憶が教えてくれるだろう。。。
    ミカサやアルミン。。。みんなを救いたいなら お前はこの力を。。。支配しなくてはならない
    Eren... this key... always carry it with you, and whenever you see it, remember...
    that you must get to the basement at all costs... Because of this injection, you'll have memory loss...
    so there's no point in explaining it now... but if you go to the basement someday, you'll understand... though it will be a severe and difficult revelation.
    You must retake Wall Maria and make it to the basement... This "power" should be useful for that.
    Their memories will show you of course...
    Mikasa, Armin... if you want to save everyone, you must... master this power
    Last edited by kannazuki; October 04, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Counterpuncher's Avatar
    Country
    Libya
    Post Thanks / Like

This same sequence of events must have happened to Eren too,
    in a past he can't remember because of his 'father's' intervention.

So yes, Eren spent time as a mindless titan before something happened (he ate the right person)
    and he was human/shifter.

Eton, I totally agree with you there, but It didn't seem that Eren had any memory loss in his past other than the time he met his father and I couldn't help but see the semiarity between Eren face and his mother's, so I don't think he's adopted. This makes me think that the one time Eren transformed into a Titan was actually after his father injected him with that drug. I also think, that the Titan shifter Eren ate to become one was actually Grisha himself! This could explain the memory loss Eren had and the expression on Grisha's face at the time and can also solve the mistory of his disappearance since he is no longer in this world... Just an idea I wanted to share

New Reply