Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Why Captains have long and short Haori?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Captains have long and short Haori?

I don't know if this was asked before or this question may strike you as just plain stupidity but I'm just really curious, how come some captains have long and short Haori (White Coat)?

Gin and Aizen when they were captains had long haori

Byakuya and Kenpachi wore the sleeveless ones (short Haori)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Captains have long and short Haori?

Why does Byakuya's have a gold collar with fancy tassels?
    Why did Yamamoto wear his like a cape?
    Why did Soifon tie a belt around hers?
    Why does Shunsui wear that sexy pink flower coat thing over his haori?

All questions with the same answer:

FASHION!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably just character design. Kubo wanted them to stick out and be individual. I don't think any of them has it for some kind of ranking, their all captains after all.
    Meh

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, fashion or one way or another, their individual preferences.
    Take Shunsui for example, I doubt he was allowed to wear that flower robe ontop of his Captain haori just because of who he was to Yama-Jii.
    If it wasn't because Captains are not allowed to pick their own fashion, then Shunsui would not carry that flower robe either.

Now why other Captains don't wear anything else? Beats me... I suppose a logical explanation would be cultre related, since many Shinigami's, before coming Captains, underwent a strict code of following authority, and all wearing the same clothing being part of that milita code.
    At the time someone becomes a Captain, then wearing a Haori is no different from wearing normal shinigami clothing, they don't feel the need to be "different" from others.

If you think about it, this is in many ways similar to the Japanese culture, the feeling to follow whatever authority demands of you.

In the end, Captains are probably allowed more freedom to dress, but many don't since it's expected of them to be appearing formally as Captains.
    Shunsui is just more free spirited, if one may.

As far as I know, there was only one rule to not loose their Haori, and always wear it, apparently made by Yama-Jii if one had to guess considering how important he felt the Captains haori was (He lectured Shunsui, Kenpaci and Byakuya for loosing theirs in the Aizen war).

So apparently you're allowed to put something ontop of the Haori like Shunsui does, and you're probably allowed to pick short and long sleeves as well.

Then again, Shunsui may just have been just that subborn about wearing that flower robe that Yama-Jii eventually gave up and allowed the exception.
    I doubt any other Captain would be cable of going against Yama-Jii as Shunsui, considering their relationship.
    Last edited by Quantized; September 12, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KungPaoChicken's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

If there all the same, it'd look lame. Each captains got an individualized sense about them.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's largely fashion based but regarding Shunsui's pink Haori there may be more to it:

http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl...reboot_wrap_up

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Then why Yamaji so adamant in them wearing it? Isn't there more to a hoari than jus fashion?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a symbol of their role as Captain and their duty and responsibility and all that, is all Yama meant. As far as the long and short sleeves go, I agree it's just a matter of personal choice, although the general theme does seem to be that older Captains wear the long sleeved ones and the younger crowd wear the sleeveless ones, though IIRC Urahara wore long sleeves as soon as he became Captain.

But then when we find out exactly what's so special about Senjumaru Shutara's crafts, we might learn some more. The sleeveless type may be a more recent design that was made for some specific reason (I doubt it though).

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Crystal Black's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I assumed it was for experience and position according to their divisions or something.

Quote Originally Posted by vanyar View Post
    I think it's largely fashion based but regarding Shunsui's pink Haori there may be more to it:

http://bleach.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl...reboot_wrap_up
    Yes. Kubo has mentioned this in a interview somewhere.
    Smiling Devil

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Firebird0ne's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I think Byakuya and Kenpachi both choosing sleeveless is a sure sign of their mutual 'badassedness!' It also works well when they are sent out together as they have been numerous times...to retrieve Hitsugaya's team from the living world, to assist in the fight with Yammy, to watch over Ichigo when he fought the Fullbringers. Yes, definitely, they want to look stylish making their entrances. (*giggles madly)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Black View Post
    I assumed it was for experience and position according to their divisions or something.

Yes. Kubo has mentioned this in a interview somewhere.
    Actually, it could be division-based. Gin and Rose both had short sleeves, same with Tousen and Kensei. Aizen and Shinji both had long sleeves, etc. They have their own colour linings as well, IIRC. Zaraki's is sleevless unlike when Unohana had it, but I think that's supposed to be because of it getting torn up as the Kenpachis killed eachother and took it from the deceased predecesor. Actually, I don't know why Zaraki's is torn up since he supposedly got it replaced after losing the original fighting Nnoitra. Maybe he ripped it himself? Gotta maintain that style, lol.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought tousen had the long sleves and kensei had short ones. Looking back at the recent byakuya fights he even added a neck thing to it. I would think it is ultimately a matter of personal preference. Doing a quick google search it does not seem like haori in themselves implied seniority or anything like that, they were to begin with accessories to kimono which added formality to the whole thing. So basically the haori in this context is merely a indication of one being a captain however since a haori is by definition a fashion thing the captains have the freedom to choose ones they see fit.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I stand corrected, you're right. It was the black kimono which was sleeveless for both Kensei and Tousen.

New Reply