Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Smarter Than Average Titan?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Smarter Than Average Titan?

When Mina, Nac, and Mylius attacked that titan and were subsequently killed, it was apparently intelligent enough to swipe and Mina's zip line and slam her into a wall. At the time I didn't think anything of it but later when everyone was so surprised that the female type was able to do something like that they immediately figured it was a titan shifter to be able to display that level of intelligence.

So, what's the deal with the titan that took advantage of Mina's zip line? Was it just flailing around and got lucky? Was it a super rare deviant type that was just smart enough do do something like that? Or was Isayama just careless or hadn't decided to make the titans generally too stupid to do things like that yet? Or is there some greater significance that we don't know of?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smarter Than Average Titan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    When Mina, Nac, and Mylius attacked that titan and were subsequently killed, it was apparently intelligent enough to swipe and Mina's zip line and slam her into a wall. At the time I didn't think anything of it but later when everyone was so surprised that the female type was able to do something like that they immediately figured it was a titan shifter to be able to display that level of intelligence.

So, what's the deal with the titan that took advantage of Mina's zip line? Was it just flailing around and got lucky? Was it a super rare deviant type that was just smart enough do do something like that? Or was Isayama just careless or hadn't decided to make the titans generally too stupid to do things like that yet? Or is there some greater significance that we don't know of?
    One conclusion.

The titans that attacked Trost where transformed titans, similar to those in Connie´s village, but made from those that where sent out to "reclaim" wall Maria.
    I mean there was a very odd deviant right there that killed thomas.
    and the Moe titan... and the frog titan... too many similarities...
    speaking of the frog titan...(the one that snatched Eren´s leg) how many of it have we seen in the series?
    It´s it, the Talking titan and Ymir... no body else.
    Doesn´t anyone find that strange?
    The titans in trost seems to be a very clever and subtle foreshadowing to the titan attack lead by the ape titan later in the story.
    that´s the only explanation I have for their behavior.
    The Ape has been behind the curtains the whole time and orchestrated the titan appearances.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming it's a Deviant. Titans aren't complete derps but not intelligent by any means with the exception of Deviants. Titans by nature vary, some go on all 4's, some run fast, some can jump etc. I don't think smart Deviants are standard either (some would be more intelligent that others). I guess it realized people are attached to wires and you can pull them. Many animals can work stuff much more clever than that, and Titans do behave like babies pretty much.
    I also think normal Titans can become Deviants and can work things out as they go (hinted by the Titan learning to gradually climb), one with a lot of experience eating people will eventually learn like most animals. It could have already grabbed a line by accident and learned that you can pull people with them.

One good thing for Isayama is he doesn't have to ensure every Titan adheres to so many rules because of how much they vary.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nanozom View Post
    One conclusion.

The titans that attacked Trost where transformed titans, similar to those in Connie´s village, but made from those that where sent out to "reclaim" wall Maria.
    I mean there was a very odd deviant right there that killed thomas.
    and the Moe titan... and the frog titan... too many similarities...
    speaking of the frog titan...(the one that snatched Eren´s leg) how many of it have we seen in the series?
    It´s it, the Talking titan and Ymir... no body else.
    Doesn´t anyone find that strange?
    The titans in trost seems to be a very clever and subtle foreshadowing to the titan attack lead by the ape titan later in the story.
    that´s the only explanation I have for their behavior.
    The Ape has been behind the curtains the whole time and orchestrated the titan appearances.
    That's interesting. We know that the ape titan can empower other titans to be active at night and command them as well. I wonder if him (and possible other types like him) are capable of boosting the intelligence of nearby titans a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by epictoads View Post
    I'm assuming it's a Deviant. Titans aren't complete derps but not intelligent by any means with the exception of Deviants. Titans by nature vary, some go on all 4's, some run fast, some can jump etc. I don't think smart Deviants are standard either (some would be more intelligent that others). I guess it realized people are attached to wires and you can pull them. Many animals can work stuff much more clever than that, and Titans do behave like babies pretty much.
    I also think normal Titans can become Deviants and can work things out as they go (hinted by the Titan learning to gradually climb), one with a lot of experience eating people will eventually learn like most animals. It could have already grabbed a line by accident and learned that you can pull people with them.

One good thing for Isayama is he doesn't have to ensure every Titan adheres to so many rules because of how much they vary.
    Yeah, those are some good points. Since the titans in Trost had pretty much wiped out the vanguard by the time Erin's squad showed up maybe it had learned to pull on wires by that time.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Titans are dumb but they can learn a little. For example there was a Titan who learnt to climb trees in the FT arc.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

What everyone said about titans learning + keep in mind Annie's case was also considered special because of the speed and precision of *all* her movements.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides Annie's speed and precision, didn't Armin said that normal Titans kill people by "eating" them? Annie didn't eat any of the humans to kill them, that's what makes her different from normal titans and deviants. The Titans that wiped out Eren's group still ate them to death. XD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not really a smart thing. He was just trying to capture her. Remember, Armin said that Titans don't aim to kill them but they simply die in the process. That Titan simply tried to capture her and ended using her zip line. I'm sure Titans are at least smart enough to see that these zip lines are connected to the humans. It's like when they break down a house to get the humans inside. Titans seem to have a certain level of intelligence.
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by KingOfNight; September 26, 2013 at 07:01 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    Spoiler show
    I agree with the rest of your post, but I think this one you mention here didn't dodge the arrow lol. Rather, Sasha missed

Assuming her arrow goes at 200fps (60m/s) (it's probably less since she didn't fully draw her bow,) the arrow has 0.16 seconds before it reaches the titan (assuming distance of 10 metres.) Since the titan has always been looking left and her arrow missed in the right side of its head, Sasha probably didn't lead her target at all. So even if I assume Sasha has 100% accuracy on a static target, the 3m class titan has 0.16 seconds to move its head 0.2m (judging from the panel) out of the way, that is 1.25m/s. For a human half its size (1.5m) the relative speed would be something like moving 60cm per second (or 2 feet per second.) Pleeeenty of time and I have no idea why I just bothered with the maths.

Don't forget she's firing on the move and panicking :P

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get the math that much, but I could've sworn he pulled a ninja on her. But I guess it makes more sense that she missed.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epictoads View Post
    and Titans do behave like babies pretty much.
    Well there's a reason that titans are so primordialy terrifying- they are titanic infants. Regular babies are scary enough. Speaking of, we've never seen titans that are babies or children, have we? They're all different aged adults or too deformed to tell >_>

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yumpo View Post
    Besides Annie's speed and precision, didn't Armin said that normal Titans kill people by "eating" them? Annie didn't eat any of the humans to kill them, that's what makes her different from normal titans and deviants. The Titans that wiped out Eren's group still ate them to death. XD
    They could've been a more cutthroat group of human shifters who have no qualms about eating humans, or are too mind-controlled by the Ape titan to have any personal sapience. ARB seem to be chosen for their mission because of their abilities, not their personalities. They're all kids who, in one way or the other, have fragile personalities. I wonder what determines the difference between titans' specialties.

New Reply