Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Claymore Sword

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore The Claymore Sword

I always wondered how much the warrior´s sword must weigh to cause that much damage that we seen in the manga this far.

Considering that a real claymore weighs roughly 2.7 kg, I found it hard to not be able to use it one-handed as Claire in the beginning of the manga claims. (I can swing that kind of weight without any problem and I weigh roughly the same as Clare does with toned muscle strength.)

Also, a sword that can cut through rock and the hides of awakened ones must be a lot heavier than 2.7 kg to make that kind of damage.

So what do you think? How much does it weigh?
    Last edited by Nanozom; September 13, 2013 at 04:29 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much does a Claymore´s sword weigh?

I would say that the swords weigh at least 16 lbs (around 7.3 kg), maybe more. Miria said that it is a special material not found on their island. But it has to be heavy, it isn't like a normal sword. Plus Clare and the other claymores aren't human so their bodies can do more than ours.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    I would say that the swords weigh at least 16 lbs (around 7.3 kg), maybe more. Miria said that it is a special material not found on their island. But it has to be heavy, it isn't like a normal sword. Plus Clare and the other claymores aren't human so their bodies can do more than ours.
    I worked on the assumption that it at least weighs 12 kg, (it´s possible to use but way to heavy for a human to use)
    And it backs enough punch to cut through.

But that´s just a theory.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nanozom View Post
    I worked on the assumption that it at least weighs 12 kg, (it´s possible to use but way to heavy for a human to use)
    And it backs enough punch to cut through.

But that´s just a theory.
    Was Raki not carrying it around when it was inside the statue ?
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by number12michael View Post
    Was Raki not carrying it around when it was inside the statue ?
    Wasn´t he carrying it over his back? He for sure didn´t one-hand held it.
    And twelve kilos are not that heavy when carried the way he did it, but in one hand? try to carry that weight in that way first and swing it around.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn´t he carrying it over his back? He for sure didn´t one-hand held it.
    And twelve kilos are not that heavy when carried the way he did it, but in one hand? try to carry that weight in that way first and swing it around.
    But Claymores are not humans, they have "yoma strength".
    so sure for a human it may be hard to do but for a warrior it would be effortless. so its weight is irrelevant to them. plus for all we know the sword could be made of a material that is super strong and super light?.

Slightly off topic, when Renee said "its not uncommon for humans to kill yoma" wonder why we never seen anything like that before Raki. but he was different aswell being trained by a awakened being and a former N1.

so that means a normal human who just trained on there own, can kill Yoma. And the only reason "Claymores" would be needed is to locate who the yoma was if they were in a human like form.
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by number12michael View Post
    But Claymores are not humans, they have "yoma strength".
    so sure for a human it may be hard to do but for a warrior it would be effortless. so its weight is irrelevant to them. plus for all we know the sword could be made of a material that is super strong and super light?.

Slightly off topic, when Renee said "its not uncommon for humans to kill yoma" wonder why we never seen anything like that before Raki. but he was different aswell being trained by a awakened being and a former N1.

so that means a normal human who just trained on there own, can kill Yoma. And the only reason "Claymores" would be needed is to locate who the yoma was if they were in a human like form.
    That is correct.

A claymore is created to fight awakened ones, yoma is only cannon fodder.
    That is the true purpose of the claymores and humans can kill the yoma just fine. It´s the identification that is a problem.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member colonywars's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wondered how much the warrior´s sword must weigh to cause that much damage that we seen in the manga this far.

Considering that a real claymore weighs roughly 2.7 kg, I found it hard to not be able to use it one-handed as Claire in the beginning of the manga claims. (I can swing that kind of weight without any problem and I weigh roughly the same as Clare does with toned muscle strength.)

Also, a sword that can cut through rock and the hides of awakened ones must be a lot heavier than 2.7 kg to make that kind of damage.

So what do you think? How much does it weigh?
    Hello, subject old as forum about Claymore manga :P

It took me awhile, but I found My old post about Claymore Swords here:

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...t=#post2388583

So it must be some kind of organic material, and dragon scale are perfectly for that. Also I read recently "Gate: thus JSDF fight there" manga and in chapter 18 army explains, how hard is to destroy dragon skin.

Have a good day
    Last edited by colonywars; September 13, 2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Parsing link :P

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Do note that Raki also uses a trainee's sword in chp 115, and wields it both one- and two-handed. My guess is, a Claymore's sword is a little heavier than a normal claymore; not enough that humans can't wield it one-handed, but enough to make it more difficult to keep up for long. The biggest difference IMO is that with Yoma strength, a warrior can simply put more power in their swings and cleave straight through ABs, whereas a human would simply leave a wound.
    As for humans being able to kill Yoma, I'd be more curious about how much difficulty a human would have : Raki did kill a Yoma, but more importantly, he did easily, while a normal swordman may be injured in the same situation.
    When you've reached the bottom, you can always dig yourself deeper - just use a shovel.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colonywars View Post
    Hello, subject old as forum about Claymore manga :P

It took me awhile, but I found My old post about Claymore Swords here:

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...t=#post2388583

So it must be some kind of organic material, and dragon scale are perfectly for that. Also I read recently "Gate: thus JSDF fight there" manga and in chapter 18 army explains, how hard is to destroy dragon skin.

Have a good day
    Thanks for the effort of retrieving your post from the depths of oblivion I cannot agree more on your suggestion about making a Claymore from a Dragon-kin. Very very plausible indeed.

Just one thing about the Dauf and Keratin point though, I'm not a biochemist, so I'm not familiar with the exact properties of Keratin (in terms of its precise parameters.) Let me pick out an example, if a Claymore as weak as Clarice can hammer her sword into the ground, enough to break the surface, could real-life Keratin with parameters tuned to Dauf's case (such as its dimensions and thickness, which is supposedly thin for flexibility) withstand a literally groundbreaking force? Also, how does Keratin fare against sharp objects as oppose to blunt objects (which I suppose has to do with the structure of the surface on a molecular scale?) I'm half aware that certain materials would resist one better than the other. In any case, if anything I would think that Awakened Beings have already fundamentally changed in terms of their body compositions. Though Keratin does have fantastic properties, I don't think they are the only thing (if they do exist in Dauf's body) that could keep Clare's blade out.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

There is also this AS thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46890

I especially recommend reading Kinematics' and graywolf202's posts.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    There is also this AS thread: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46890

I especially recommend reading Kinematics' and graywolf202's posts.
    "I run out of names"

"I was kinda worried that my design might require Claymores to dislocate their shoulders to draw their sword."

Geniuses!! And graywolf202 is too funny, man.

Very very insightful indeed. But of course, the weight problem would require revision since it is somewhat implied further into the story (at a later date than these posts): Raki is seen one-handing a trainee sword, and that Claymore swords are made of an unknown material.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    "I run out of names"

"I was kinda worried that my design might require Claymores to dislocate their shoulders to draw their sword."

Geniuses!! And graywolf202 is too funny, man.

Very very insightful indeed. But of course, the weight problem would require revision since it is somewhat implied further into the story (at a later date than these posts): Raki is seen one-handing a trainee sword, and that Claymore swords are made of an unknown material.
    Hello

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...t=#post2381365

another post of mine, and after HegemonKhan answer is another one.

Your hairs are made form keratin, and they are flexible, You can use them as rope or as material to made yarn. I know, that during II WW Germans (Nazis) made blankets from human hairs shaved from prisoners from Nazis Concentration Camps. Your fingernails also are flexible, when You let them grow they can easily bent, thus have some degree of material exhaustion durability (material fatigue). In metallurgy there is therm like that. And keratin as it self is lifeless, but the cells that produce it can regenerate and grow. Skin is also made from keratin, and there are diseases like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNIps...yer_detailpage

and those changes look exactly like Dauf after awakening. Thus alligators, snakes reptiles generally are all covered with keratin shells thus have, like snakes, almost unrestricted movement possibilities. And recently Priscilla "regenerate"Her sword out of the blue... Another reason to thing about something organically

So keratin could be the material used to produce claymore swords. And to their weight, I think that reasonable is to assume that 10 kilo (22,05 pounds) is enough
    Last edited by colonywars; September 14, 2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: C or c :P

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, it also begs a question "how much does a female Claymore weigh?" I wonder how would each female Claymore react to that question because here on Earth women do not like to answer that question ;P. And before you say that I'm off-topic let me assure you that I'm not (well, not that much at least) by bringing Irene into this. Assuming that a claymore (claymore = sword, Claymore = person) weighs around 10-15 kilos and a typical woman 50-60 kg - swinging a sword (and in all directions) with such a high speed without being thrown around due to inertia would seem impossible. So can they increase their weight like ABs? I assume they do increase their weight magically and loli-Riful doesn't weigh the same as spaghetti Riful (the word magic is crucial here since otherwise it would bring the issue of mass-energy equivalence which would make everything ridiculous).

P.S.
    I recommend to read all Aimless' and Kinematic's posts. They have always something interesting to say.
    Last edited by Goral; September 14, 2013 at 08:58 AM.

21. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    BTW, it also begs a question "how much does a female Claymore weigh?" I wonder how would each female Claymore react to that question because here on Earth women do not like to answer that question ;P. And before you say that I'm off-topic let me assure you that I'm not (well, not that much at least) by bringing Irene into this. Assuming that a claymore (claymore = sword, Claymore = person) weighs around 10-15 kilos and a typical woman 50-60 kg - swinging a sword (and in all directions) with such a high speed without being thrown around due to inertia would seem impossible. So can they increase their weight like ABs? I assume they do increase their weight magically and loli-Riful doesn't weigh the same as spaghetti Riful (the word magic is crucial here since otherwise it would bring the issue of mass-energy equivalence which would make everything ridiculous).

P.S.
    I recommend to read all Aimless' and Kinematic's posts. They have always something interesting to say.
    Long time no see Goral

Now that is an interesting point of view, how much must weight person, to use sword that weight 10kg?

I red Your post, and then I go outside, grab piece of pipe which weight about 2kg, and try to swing it. I weight 64kg. It was not easy to keep balance at full speed, but medieval knights was able to swing swords with that mass, so it is possible. But they don't do that with Irene or Teresa speed!

And I red recently this manga: http://mangafox.me/manga/sporting_salt/

There is showed nice connection between body movement, momentum of speed and inertia on example of Woman tennis player. There is also manga Holyland, where this "sport moments and body muscle work" is also nice explained. Typical tennis rocket weights around 260g max to 300g. It is 1/32 of assumed weight of claymore swords, but the body momentum will not change, only inertia will be much stronger.

Since Claymores can expand their strength so it could be also a possibility to expend their weight, but in fight between Irene and Teresa there is no sight of it. No collapsed in to the ground feet, no bend knees which must support mass expansion, and yet Teresa was able to suddenly jump off in defense maneuver, which rather could not be possible with expended mass? Or Her strength was on level, that make Her possible to do that?

Well... it is hard to write now how Irene and Teresa was able to swing that fast with swords of that weight without collapsed on the ground or turning around them self, but magic can be explanation for everything!

I will try to find 10kg piece of pipe and swing it, if I survive :P I will write what I was able to do and how fast. Experiments are the best way to explain something

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast