Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Ymir: "Enemy? If I were to say it..."

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ymir: "Enemy? If I were to say it..."

I'm guessing Ymir's answer (which is cut off by Reiner) will be revealed very soon anyway, but I'm still going to make this thread. Have been meaning to do so for a long time.

ユミル「敵?そりゃ言っちまえばせー
    Ymir "The enemy? If I were to say it, SE-"

Just to make it clear, when Ymir says "SE-" at the end, it does not necessarily mean "If I were to say it, it would be SE-"

Meaning, SE- is not necessarily the beginning of the name of the enemy. So it would be more suitable to translate this into:

Ymir "The enemy? If I were to say it, SE- [+ a whole sentence to follow]"

...and this opens up all various possibilities, making the answer more complicated to guess through literary alone. For that reason, anyone not knowing Japanese can still make an equally good guess to this scene, as long as I provide you with the vocab beginning with "SE-".

I'll give an example to an approach to guessing the word/sentence. Seifu = Government, and seems like a good guess. However the actual governing body of the community is actually the Royal Government ("Ouseifu,") so contrary to popular belief, I actually don't think this is as good a guess as other possible answers.

On the other hand, what Ymir is about to say could be a much longer sentence, something such as: 戦争が起こる (SEnsou ga okoru,) meaning "A war will start." (So the whole thing would be: "If I were to say it, a war will start.") This sounds incredibly viable, and is equally as likely as (IMO more likely than) a one-word answer.

Another example could be: 戦争から生まれた憎しみ (SEnsou kara umareta nikushimi,) which means "The hatred that's been born from this war." (The whole thing would then be: "If I were to say it, it would be the hatred that's been born from the war.") I'm emphasising with this Naruto-sounding example, but my point is, the possibilities are endless.

Another example: 精神が崩壊するぞ = SEishin ga houkaisuru zo, which literally means "(One's) mind would break down" or, if referring to Eren, it is better translated as "You will mentally breakdown, man."

Basically, it doesn't have to be a word. As long as you have the word beginning with "SE-", you can produce various guesses from it.

For all that's been said, below is a small list of words I have prioritised and compiled to help you generate some ideas:

Seifu = Government
    Sensou = War/Warfare
    Sekai = World
    Seimei = Life
    Senjyuumin = Indigenous people/Natives
    Seiryoku = Force (referring to a group of people/organisation/nation)
    Seiryoku arasoi = Power struggle
    Sen'nen = Thousand years
    Sen'nengo no xxx = XXX from a thousand years later (time-travellers lol?)
    Senzo = Ancestors
    Senshi = Warrior(s)
    Seifukusya = Conqueror(s)
    Seishin = Spirit/Mind/Soul/Mental
    Sensei = Doctor/Teacher (Doctor Grisha maybe??)
    Seimu = Affairs of state/Political affairs
    Seibu = Western part
    Seibo = Holy Mother
    Seikyoukai = Holy Church
    Seirigenshou = Psychological phenomenon
    Seibutsuheiki = Biological weapon
    Seitaiheiki = Living weapon (could be animals or any other living organisms)
    Seigikan = Sense of justice
    Seiyoujin = Westerner
    Sekusyuaruharasumento = Sexual harassment
    Seibyou = STD
    Seilaamuun = Sailor Moon

.........Let your imagination run wild

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ymir: "Enemy? If I were to say it..."

Yeah I haven't even gone on to talking about the phrase "If I were to say it," because "そりゃ言っちまえば" can also be translated into something like "In a manner of speaking." This means the latter part of the sentence can be something very ambiguous (e.g. "The enemy? In a manner of speaking, hatred." Lol, Ymir you're such a troll.)

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Yimir's refusal to release this kind of info is one of the reasons I still think of her as a rather shady character. I wonder who's side she'll ultimately end up on; will she return to the Scouting Legion or will she grab Historia (her life insurance policy apparently) and take off with R&B?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

War seems legit due to Ragnarok.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i bet it's the goverment. there's something shady about the inner wall people

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Government or Holy Church are the most promising candidates.

Or it can be something over the top like: the whole point of the wall is training ground for Titan Shifters to become warriors and prove themselves in their own society. There are hundreds of walls and cities like this all around the world with humans fighting desperate battle against Titans with Titan shifters among them to lead to their downfall and thus prove themselves as warriors.

Sounds crazy, but also very grimdark. Fit's with the setting quite well.
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Yimir's refusal to release this kind of info is one of the reasons I still think of her as a rather shady character. I wonder who's side she'll ultimately end up on; will she return to the Scouting Legion or will she grab Historia (her life insurance policy apparently) and take off with R&B?
    Ymir strikes me as a purely neutral character. She knows a shit ton about what's going on- probably more than everybody we know- but that knowledge itself seems to fuel her selfish desire to not be on the side of either Wall or Warrior. It's probably fear of whatever the true evil of the series is that's driving her decisions, and not some relatively petty events between Wall and Warrior.

She seemed content to just live aimlessly before meeting Christa. I'll bet her being in the military at all was probably only to atone for the time she spent gobbling people. Wonder what she was thinking when Bert kicked in the gate and it became obvious to her that hostile shifters were in the city.

It seems like she's only on her own side, ultimately. Which is pretty admirable, in a way. But now it seems like she's romantically attached to Christa, so she's probably her only real ally.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
    Government or Holy Church are the most promising candidates.

Or it can be something over the top like: the whole point of the wall is training ground for Titan Shifters to become warriors and prove themselves in their own society. There are hundreds of walls and cities like this all around the world with humans fighting desperate battle against Titans with Titan shifters among them to lead to their downfall and thus prove themselves as warriors.

Sounds crazy, but also very grimdark. Fit's with the setting quite well.
    Prove themselves for what, though? It sounds cool but it doesn't actually solve any mystery. "Training ground" would just be the means to another end of the plot thread.

It seems more like the Walls are apart of some grand evil that the inhabitants have no idea of, and RBA's group was meant to cripple the plans of whatever that is. Like maybe it's some sort of experiment on a huge scale, and the humans are (practically) big, unwitting guinea pigs. The ape seemed surprised at 3DMG, but not impressed with it's capabilities: almost as if he was expecting a lesser technology.

Reiner/Bert seem like they genuinely feel righteousness for what they're doing, despite it involving mass murder. And the conversation Annie had with Captain Bowlcut about righteousness also made me feel this way. They're doing the right thing, it's just the absolute stretching of the concept "lesser of two evils".

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badluckartist View Post
    Prove themselves for what, though?
    Did you seriously asked this? Tell me what would be the reason for someone to prove to be a warrior in some society in the 1'st place?

As I explained this would solve the mystery - cities exist so that titans shifters could prove themselves worthy of becoming something greater in the hierarchy of their own society. Something like 'destroy this settlement of Mankind and you will get this status in our society, fail and we will kill you'. It's like trial by fire, with is cool idea but I must admit far-fetched.

But from what I have understood from them, by not being able to finish what they started they will not become warriors and as a punishment they will probably be killed. Ymir probably failed when he saved Christa by turning into Titan before everyone and to avoid death he must bring her to her superiors unless she want's to die.

There is something quite sinister with entire setting, and I have a felling it will be something similar to Claymore ( big organization controlling everything from far away land and everyone are in fact part of something quite sinister ).
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badluckartist View Post
    Ymir strikes me as a purely neutral character. She knows a shit ton about what's going on- probably more than everybody we know- but that knowledge itself seems to fuel her selfish desire to not be on the side of either Wall or Warrior. It's probably fear of whatever the true evil of the series is that's driving her decisions, and not some relatively petty events between Wall and Warrior.

She seemed content to just live aimlessly before meeting Christa. I'll bet her being in the military at all was probably only to atone for the time she spent gobbling people. Wonder what she was thinking when Bert kicked in the gate and it became obvious to her that hostile shifters were in the city.

It seems like she's only on her own side, ultimately. Which is pretty admirable, in a way. But now it seems like she's romantically attached to Christa, so she's probably her only real ally.
    I think that's a pretty dead-on description of Yimir for the most part. She definitely fits the "True Neutral" archetype very well from the old character alignment thing. The only thing I disagree with is her motivation for joining the military. I don't think Yimir is the type to feel the need for atonement, at least not at this point in her character development. I think the only reason she joined was to track down Krista, after she hear the nobles talking about her so that she could use her as sort of a "life insurance policy" or bargaining chip against those who apparently want her dead. But now that Yimir's developed strong feelings for Krista, I wonder what she's going to do now...

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ymir's neutrality is definitely a very important aspect to consider. This has been baffling me:
    So somehow, Ymir feels fine and free to give away the identity of the real enemy (let's just say it is what she's gonna say in the first place) to Eren, in front of Reiner and Bert. But apparently, once Reiner persuades her (1) this world has no future, (2) save Christa with RB not with Eren, Ymir becomes obstinate when Eren pushes on in this matter, even though Eren's helpless and kidnapped anyway.

Reiner has been reluctant in giving information from the beginning, he either tells Ymir to "leave it to your imagination," or reinforces her knowledge by saying "You should already know that." He's keeping strategic information from Ymir, that's understandable, as for things Ymir already know, Reiner is simply keeping Eren out of the loop. But why? What could Eren do with the information? Is that just a matter of in case Eren gets taken away from them? (which is actually what happened, for now.) Obviously, it matters to Eren, otherwise Reiner wouldn't purposely withhold critical information from him. But it matters in the way that Eren should not gain knowledge on whatever that is. In any case, by considering this, we still cannot tell whether Reiner is protecting the identity of the enemy for the sake of their group, i.e. they are part of the true enemy, or Reiner's doing so for the sake that information might get leaked from Eren into dangerous hands, i.e. there is a chance Reiner is not part of the true enemy.

Reiner keeping information from Eren is totally reasonable. But the way this has been done sounds as if, by knowing the true identity, Eren can obstruct Reiner's plan. If I assume the "world" in "this world has no future" is the place where Christa's at right now, then I can say with a tiny bit more certainty that Reiner deems humanity within the wall should fall, and Eren knowing the identity of the enemy would provide potentially successful resistance. On the other hand, I'm even more baffled by the fact Reiner says "this world" instead of "them" or "that world." Even "That world" is slightly more explainable, he could just be referring to the world within the Wall. That is not Reiner's (warrior mode) world. He's saying "this," which is inclusive of him. This is highly suggestive that the 'place' that should fall isn't the Wall people alone, but everything else beyond that. But hey, I think we already know that. But what can he do with a world that's about to end? that involves himself? To change it maybe. He's fighting to change certain things. To him, he's got to think this is a good cause. Together with what Ymir says to Eren, "Do you think you can end this with these two dead?" which might more or less be saying, there's a whole bunch of them out there, and/or, their boss is still somewhere out there. If what Ymir is about to say is a one word answer, then this enemy is probably on Reiner's side. If what Ymir's about to say is a lengthy answer such as "War will start," then there is still a chance Reiner's ultimately doing what somebody like Erwin would agree on, but does not necessarily mean the real enemy is Reiner.

Finally, Bert's desperate plea: "Please, somebody, please find us." This should pretty much cross out all the above argument about Reiner being in the true enemy faction.

I don't know what I'm writing anymore. I've written a lot of things people know already anyway. I feel stupid now.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, this manga is mysterious. But who knows, maybe the "real enemy" of mankind is mankind itself. In one of the latest chapters Ymir told Christa "Well if you forget that bit [eating people], they [the Titans] aren't so bad." Of course they are "not so bad". Think of it this way; humans have ruined the environment. We are a threat to other living beings and ourselves. Titans, on the other hand show no interest on other lifeforms, save for humans and perhaps each other, they work on solar energy (something that many environmentalists want to be used instead of oil) and they are too dumb to build a civilization that (mis)uses natural resources. I don't have any idea what this Warrior faction's motives could be, though.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Ymir was a normal Titan, but was somehow rescued by Christa?
    she is so scared of turning back into a mindless titan that she wants to take Christa with her.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

read chapter 18.5

New Reply