Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Middle Schoolers - National Stats Discussion

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Middle Schoolers - National Stats Discussion

I'm too lazy to type all of this again, so have a log instead:

Quote Quote:
    <Kaoz> I've been thinking that if we take Atobe's evolution and apply it backwards, he'd have like 14 total during the nationals, so I'm thinking that when the MSers came to the camp, their stats weren't that high at all
    <FrostyMouse> Maybe.
    <FrostyMouse> It's clear from how Konomi's doing these stats that only power players had power in the past.
    <FrostyMouse> We also vastly overrated stamina and mental.
    <Kaoz> yeah
    <FrostyMouse> It's totally possible that Sanada only had 3 power.
    <Kaoz> Shiraishi might very well have 3s across the board when he played Fuji
    <Kaoz> have had
    <FrostyMouse> yeah
    <FrostyMouse> Given what we've seen, those stats for Oishi/Kikumaru that the anime gave may have been on the mark.
    <FrostyMouse> You'll remember that I had a problem with 1.5 power.
    <FrostyMouse> Or was it 0.5 power?
    <Kaoz> honestly, I think the anime stats were too high
    <Kaoz> 0.5
    <FrostyMouse> It's possible that at the time, there wasn't a huge gap between the players in stats, it was just abilities.
    <FrostyMouse> .5 in something could've made a massive difference or something.
    <Kaoz> it makes sense when you think about it, because before these guys there had never been any MSers in the camp, so of course they'd use a HSers body as standard
    <Kaoz> yeah, I agree
    <FrostyMouse> Yeah.
    <FrostyMouse> Kaoz, of course, that would be saying that there's a massive difference between a HS first year and an MS third year.
    <Kaoz> well, depends on when you look at them
    <Kaoz> like keep in mind that the nationals were only halfway through the school year
    <FrostyMouse> It's only been like three months since the Nationals, right?
    <Kaoz> and from the 1st year HSers we've seen, all of them had camp training since the beginning of the year, which seems to be vastly superior to school training
    <Kaoz> yeah, about three months
    <Kaoz> and adding to that bit about the 1st year HSers, if it really is true that you usually don't get invited until your 2nd year, all of the ones we've seen are exceptionally talented on their own
    Also since it's probably relevant, here's the timeline again:

Day 1 - Middle Schoolers arrive at the camp and beat the lower courts
    Day 2 - Momoshiro vs Oni, Elimination Tiebreaks, Losers climb up the mountain
    Days 3 to 5 - Regular Training and Shuffle Matches (Winners), Losers vs High Schoolers on the court near the cliff, Sake Stealing Mission, Sportsman Hunt
    Day 6 - Team Shuffle: 3rd Court vs 5th Court, 2nd Court vs BJB
    Days 7 to 16: Ten Day Shuffle
    Day 17: Return of the 1st String, Revolution of the BJB
    Day 18: Genius 10 vs 2nd String

My estimate for Atobe in the log might have been a tad low, 15 might be a better one, but yeah, what do you guys think? What stats did the MSers have at the end of the nationals? Let's keep it at overall stats for now and not bother with individual ones though.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Middle Schoolers - National Stats Discussion

One factor I don't know personally is how big is the gap from .5 >1.0 > 1.5. Sure we can compare some players but I don't imagine it is a purely linear progression, it is possible but the player gaps are so huge maybe it makes sense. Although if it wasn't linear it makes no sense to be able to break the chart so completely.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TFJ View Post
    One factor I don't know personally is how big is the gap from .5 >1.0 > 1.5.

I think it''s a relatively big gap. If we look at Shiraishi his stats in every column were a 3.5 before his match with the third court. After removing a gold weight on his arm, his stats only changed to a 4 in every category. All of the losers practiced with lead rackets (relatively same weight) for a couple of days and got so much stronger. Shiraishi kept the plate on his arm for 3 years and his strength only increased by .5. I think it's a pretty big jump.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...xSWR1MEE#gid=0

Made an attempt at working backwards and making estimates for the MSers' stats during the nationals. The bolded stats are the ones I assumed to be true to get a starting point, they were given either in the manga, the fanbook or the anime (although I'm not too confident about those last ones). I also usually kept the improvement rate fairly consistent, that is about one third of the overall improvement was assigned to the time between Nationals and Team Shuffle, and the other two third to the time between Team Shuffle and the current G10 matches.

It's not complete yet, but if anyone is interested.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Tachibana and Shiraishi had equal overall stats back at Nationals.
    Kudos to all those on here who hit the nail on the head with that on here.
    A lot of guys on MH noted that Tachibana and Shiraishi were even back at Nationals.

Niou's power was likely 1.5 back at Nationals too.
    Remember how Fuji could handle his smashes with Higuma Otoshi.
    Anybody with strength below 3 can be stopped with a Higuma. Whereas anything above that will need Kirin Otoshi.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    I believe Tachibana and Shiraishi had equal overall stats back at Nationals.
    I would have loved to give Shiraishi 16 as well, but if he is to keep his perfectly balanced distribution, it basically has to be all 3s which in the end only amounts to 15 total, hence the "Balanced" in the comments.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Give him all 3.2 then >_>

---------- Post added September 21, 2013 at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was September 20, 2013 at 09:15 PM ----------

Dunno where the crap I posted this, but apparently it wasn't here. Gonna try to write it again:

Forget about the anime stats, they are just wrong lol. Kikumaru was already better than Oishi in the Nationals, he should be above him in stats.

Krauser deserves some improvement between the Nationals and the shuffle match, same with Jackal after his mountain training.

Back in the Nationals, Momo seems more like a 14 and Yanagi a 16.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Forget about the anime stats, they are just wrong lol. Kikumaru was already better than Oishi in the Nationals, he should be above him in stats.
    Special moves aren't factored into the stats, and Kikumaru certainly has more of those than Oishi does.

---------- Post added September 22, 2013 at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was September 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

No clue why I didn't respond to this yesterday, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Krauser deserves some improvement between the Nationals and the shuffle match, same with Jackal after his mountain training.
    Personally, I agree, but the fact that Krauser's stats are the same now as they were during the team shuffle makes me lean towards him not having had significant enough improvement for a stat point.

New Reply