Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 - Battle of Gods

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member WEERG's Avatar
    Country
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 - Battle of Gods

Title: Dragon Ball Z - Battle of Gods
    Aired: Mar 30, 2013
    Producers: Toei Animation
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Martial Arts, Shounen, Super Power
    Duration: 85 minutes

Synopsis:
    The film is set between the 517th and 518th installments of Akira Toriyama's original manga. Specifically, it is set during the "lost decade" of story time after the end of the battle with Majin Buu. Kuririn, Piccolo, Vegeta, and other familar characters will appear in the film. The film is not a spinoff, but a story in the official history of Dragon Ball.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just watched the new dbz movie, I would like others opinions on the movie, I really enjoyed it it was funny and it was good too see some old characters from db in the movie as well the fight against goku and bill was awesome and since there are 12 gods in total maybe there will be a series or maybe more movies in the future maybe just maybe
    Last edited by Skyguardian; September 14, 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 - Battle of Gods

It was enjoyable for me, as well. Although there are flaws. Bills was a nicely done character, I liked the whole easy-going attitude, not giving a damn about anything and destroying something whenever it crosses his mind. Super Saiyan God form is boring as hell, it looks almost like Kaioken form.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsundere Vegeta is the best Vegeta. I found the anime as OK; Not amusing, but I won't say it's bad. Was expecting the plot is having more serious tone, but to be honest having an cartoon-ish villain isn't that bad of an idea. The whole idea about Super Saiyan God is terrible though, I was unpleasantly surprised by how dull it is.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched this today - I thought the humour worked particularly well (especially where Bills, Pilaf, and Buu were concerned), and I liked that Bills wasn't a standard pure evil villain who's eeriely similar to one from the manga, but a character who was fleshed out (ironically enough) rather well for the short time he was in the series.

I also enjoyed that the movie contained a lot of themes from the original series. Some people might be disappointed that Super Saiyan God was visually unimpressive, but so were Goku and Gohan as kids, Gohan with his upgrade granted by the old Supreme Kai, Freeza's final form, Kid Buu, etc. Just because something doesn't look strong doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't.

Honestly, this movie was my childhood condensed into an hour and a half - I had a huge grin on my face the entire time, even when the characters were speaking in voices and languages that I'm not familiar with. The movie was entertaining, balanced action and comedy well, and left me with a massive grin on my face, so that's the sign of a good movie in my eyes.

Also, even if the movie itself didn't cheer me up, the credits montage certainly did. Normally not a huge fan of those in other DBZ movies, since they usually recap what we've already seen in the movie itself, but this one was just, for the lack of a better word, awesome. Can't wait to buy it on DVD or BluRay when it's inevitably available in North America!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I also really liked the credits in the end.
    To me it's not about SSJ god being visually unimpressive but also that it looked like CGI and more like something straigt out of a Budokai game than anime and the transformation was to much Nakama powerup cliche, also Goku can't transform assuming one other saiyan is killed which makes it very easy to stop and also somewhat similar to his last powerup in GT.

As for Bills I simply loved his character as a dude that doesn't want to simply destroy the entire universe but has a sense of fun and randomness in him which was great seeing in both the way he wakes up and his work on the Kai planet, I think his character blends very well in the DB universe especially as a future ally or trainer if we ever get to see some continuation and of course seeing Vegeta getting all nervous around him was funny to watch - the only thing I didn't like was him being on planet Vegeta at the time when Freeza was in control of the saiyans and still Freeza was for him the strongest in the universe.

The fights finally felt like somewhat of a movie quality more than an OVA aside for the 8th movie which was the best battlewise for me, there were no recycled animation and the fast pace of the moving was well portrayed in the last battle but for further movies I would like to see less CGI in it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

My review of the newest DBZ film it like this. As a continuation to the previous Z films, I felt this one was definitely different in a major way. The spirit of the series as a whole was there and seeing Goku being overpowered and at the mercy of not the enemy, but simply by someone who is indeed "stronger" was a great contribution to the story. This reminded me of Goku VS. Cell and Goku had to accept his lost, but only to put his faith in his son's power.

This time around, anything could've happened at a whim. The character, Bills, who is indeed one of the Gods, that I am assuming is on a higher plateau than the Grand Kai, is merely one of 12 Gods of Destruction. Most likely, Bills could be one of the lower levels and that alone makes this new DBZ movie more interesting and focused on other characters that bring a bigger challenge to our Z fighters.

I didn't mind the CGI at all, it is a cartoon, so it's okay with me. Not too much fighting and it was balanced out with humor. Seeing, Vegeta try to sing and dance his way from death by Bills was unexpected and hilarious. Goku losing the way he did was something else and Bill's master, Whis, I'm wondering if he is a God of Destruction as well or perhaps has trained all 12 Gods of Destruction.

There's much more story available to put into more movies, from what I've heard, there could be possibly two more movies. That's fine with me, if 20th Century Fox and Toei Animation would like to do a trilogy set out of this.

Great movie and happy to see some DBZ action again.

p.s., the ending credits scene was awesome, showing the history of the Dragon Ball manga.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't what I expected, the 'villain' wasn't what I expected either. But I absolutely loved it. It makes me feel like a kid watching this, nostalgia aside, the 'flaws' and whatnot can be easily disregarded. Lots of out-of-character moment specifically Vegeta and Shenlong, they are lol-worthy. Bill's speech to Goku in space also opens up a lot of interesting speculations with regards to characters stronger than Bill himself. If even I can get excited over that, there could only be many younger viewers out there intrigued by the same scene.

I enjoy all the Dragon Ball movies/OVAs. This one and the Vegeta's brother one are notably different from the rest, and I find it very refreshing.

And as everyone's saying, the credits are legendary.

As a side note, I personally prefer the old ways of animation for DBZ. Of course, CGI is not bad at all, and I treat it as a bonus.

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Not bad at all. At least, the end result wasn't what I imagined. I mean, Goku wasn't able to overpower his opponent.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It was good, humor felt forced sometimes but it was the main strength of the movie, Bills himself is not a villain you can take seriously. Vegeta completely stole the show. It's almost sure they'll make more movies now.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

New Reply