Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: naming a clan or race

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hunterzero785's Avatar
    Country
    American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

naming a clan or race

So... for the story I'm working on I have characters with special abilities and I'm having trouble naming some things, I don't know if you can plagiarize a name or not (in which case I don't want to) so please help me out if u can I need help naming an angel/demon race or clan ex. dbz has saiyans and bleach has soul reapers... which I don't want to copy.....any ideas? I came up with 3 clan names but I don't know if they sound alright...any help will be appreciated thanks!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: naming a clan or race

What I did for my story was too try and categorize their specific abilities. For example, in my story their are races who control elements like Lightning, Fire, and Water. What i did was find words meaning these elements in other languages and use that as the name. Lighting turned into the La'Tempete (Tempest/Storm in french) clan, Vulkan (Volcano in german) clan, and the Xuanwo (Maelstrom in chinese) clan. And it turned out pretty well and I'm content with these names! Maybe doing something similar would help you out?

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the names of your tribes? I can try to give you some feedback on them if you like. ^^

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hunterzero785's Avatar
    Country
    American Samoa
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks it's very much appreciated!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner EvenMcSteven's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One for the Demons could be something cliche like "The Fallen"
    lol, idk it's all that came to mind :S Sorry.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Tip for you in general, hunter: you've been making lots of stuff and working pretty hard, so I'm proud of you, and my tip is to not let this stuff bother you.

I mean, sure, it's nice to think of names for clans. But think for a second, what are we really doing here? Writing a story? Drawing a manga? Whatever you're doing, you shouldn't let yourself get STUCK on coming up with a name for a clan. You shouldn't stop writing because you just can't come up with the names. Just use a filler name, and let the name come to you while you write the story. You're done, and still no name? Well, start drawing it, if it's manga. Done, still no name? Well, now you can worry about the name -- but hey, you've already got a finished manga chapter, which was the goal here!

Basically, don't let these things waste your time, and don't sweat the small stuff.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply