Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Claymore 142- Magic- Review

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore Claymore 142- Magic- Review

Claymore 141- Magic- Review

Hello everyone. Some of you may notice that this is my first review in several months. Between a combination of Real Life and a lack of interest in the last few chapters, I haven't been reviewing. Yes a lack of interest. I love Claymore, but the last few chapters just weren't doing it for me. It felt like the series was spinning its wheels. And also the severe lack of Claire finally got to me. I really hope Yagi eventually remembers she's supposed to be the lead character and does something with her again. Honestly if you read from the start of Miria's assault on the Organization until now you'd be forgiven for thinking Claire is a secondary character. Anyways while she doesn't do anything in this chapter either, it is one that I enjoyed.

Mama Clarice-
    We start with Clarice raising her Yoki to the limit. As Galatea warns her, Clarice remembers her past. She was a homeless girl who had nothing, not even ambitions. When the town she lived in was destroyed by an Awakened Being, she barely felt anything. It wasn't until she became a colored haired warrior that she felt pride. But of course she would later mean that having colored hair meant she was a failure. In short there was nothing to be proud of there. Meanwhile Audery and the others manage to save the guardsmen from being eaten by Maita. Clarice manages to get through to Maita in time to save Rachael, and Maita resumes attacking Europa. Knocked outside the city, Europa isn't able to pinball around anymore, and is torn apart by the attacks from Maita, the Claymores, and even the city guards. But all this is coming at a heavy price as Clarice is being torn apart from the strain of holding Maita back.

Priscilla's past... Again.-

Well now that Priss has finished off Riful-doll, she has to figure out what to do next. She can sense the Yoki from two powerful awakened in two locations, and food in another. But that's not what catches her attention. Nope, it's Rubel and Dae. And boy the look on Rubel's face is priceless. But for Dae seeing his masterpiece up close is priceless. And hey turns out that there is one last tidbit about her past. See after that night when her family died, nobody in town thought there was anyone alive in that house. So they left it shut for a month. So what did little Priscilla eat that whole time. Her fathers corpse. Dae thinks this attuned her to the yoma flesh that was used to make her a Claymore, and is a major part of why she's so strong. Sadly despite his best efforts he could never replicate the effect. Now this does leave me wondering... We have all these events adding up to explain Priscilla's unusual strength. But why was Teresa so strong? Anyways Priss tells Dae to talk to the sword. Man now we'll never know where the heck Riful-Doll came from.

Mother's Charm
    Clarice's body is ripping itself apart as she struggles to pull Maita back from her awakening. While Europa gets shredded, it won't do much good if Maita still wants to eat everyone. Fortunately she succeeds, and of course Maita's first thoughts are of her momma. Maita is a bit disconcerted by the fact Clarice lost an arm, but Clarice brushes it off. And she shows how much she's grown into the role of Maita's mother by reminding her she shouldn't run around naked. I must say I really love Maita's expressions during this scene. The really do a wonderful job conveying her emotions. Getting back to the story, Clarice then tells Maita that she'll cast a charm that will make Maita stronger and stronger. As she puts her hand on Maita's head Clarice crumbles away to nothingness...
    This was a great chapter. Clarice dying was a sad thing, but she had about a good a death as anyone in Claymore could ask for. Some series go out of their way to just randomly kill off characters in senseless and “Shocking” ways because they want to prove that anybody can die at any given time. That certainly happened to a bunch of characters in Pieta. But here we have a pretty noble death. Keep in mind that in universe nobody is going to be happy that Clarice died the way that she did. But she died in a way that perfectly fit her character development, and that saved her daughter.

Winner of the Month- Clarice. She truly was Maita's Momma.

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

2. Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 141- Magic- Review

Good review but really if your only reading for clare then why bother......its called "claymore" not "Claremore".

i would not count Dae out yet(i have doubts that he is still "human"). but it would suck if we dont find out where RD came from. but it might be a "read between the lines" kinda thing, like we know it is some sort of combination of Riful and Dauf- and that it came from what we can infer was Rifuls lower body. i am still holding on to it being there baby and its hate for prissy comes from her being responsible for her parents death or Riful and Daufs feelings and hatred was put into the baby?

i do love how Rubel had the look on his face like he just shit himself.
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Jullias Ondore's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Teresa was strong because unlike all other claymores she never had a hate for Yoma, her hate was all focused on humans themselves and she was essentially forced to protect them to stay alive. Remember she was sold by her parents those who she loved more than anything else.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Good review but really if your only reading for clare then why bother......its called "claymore" not "Claremore".
    What's wrong with liking the main character? I read Fairy Tail for Natsu. If he wasn't in it then I probably wouldn't read it. Besides, claymore without Clare just doesn't feel like claymore.

7. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jullias Ondore View Post
    I think Teresa was strong because unlike all other claymores she never had a hate for Yoma, her hate was all focused on humans themselves and she was essentially forced to protect them to stay alive. Remember she was sold by her parents those who she loved more than anything else.
    Agreed did she not say that "humans are worse then yoma".
    Teresa seemed indifferent to yoma killing them only because she had to.
    i am not sure if her power came from that....her power probably comes from a few things....disslike for humans being one of them(almost like her and the "yoma" inside of her both shared a hatred for humans).

i wish we would find out exactly how the "claymoreization" worked, and what factors into how strong a warrior becomes.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    What's wrong with liking the main character? I read Fairy Tail for Natsu. If he wasn't in it then I probably wouldn't read it. Besides, claymore without Clare just doesn't feel like claymore.
    nothings wrong with liking them but saying "did not review because lack of clare was getting to me" shows that he dose like really like Claymore he simply likes Clare and i find that sad-and makes him biased when "reviewing" chapters.

Claymore is so much more then just Clare.
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Although it's been very long without Clare, I think a shift of attention is necessary to wrap up things in other places. When you treat it as a big picture, it's kinda like a small piece of jigsaw puzzle building up to the whole sort of thing. And this jigsaw Yagi is drawing isn't a portrait of Clare, but a big family photo of Claymore, some closer to the camera than the others, thus appearing bigger, taking up more jigsaw pieces. As number12michael says, Claymore is so much more than just Clare. Each and every Claymore has their own story to tell, own character to display; I think it's a very colourful story despite the fact Yagi doesn't necessarily fully develop a character. You may treat them as a passer-by at the crossroads, you could talk to them a little, get to know them a little, they help you out a little, but in the end you don't stay there forever and have to go separate ways.

But of course, all that above is just the way I choose to read this manga, and this is what I think to be the potential provided by Yagi's work. If you only care about Anastasia, you could just buy Volume 20... To each his own :P

With all that's said, good review. Our legend Clarice aside, I'm so looking forward to how Rubel saves his own butt, if he can.

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't just read it for Claire. I also love to read Miria, Helen, Deneve, Yuma, Cynthia, Tabitha, Clarice, Maita, Rubel, Dae, ETC. But it's felt like there's just been some padding, and Claire hasn't done anything really noticable for a very long while. It really wasn't until chapter 140 that it started to serously bug me. For a long while I was one of the people telling others to calm down, that we'd get back to Claire in time, but lets let the other characters shine. But other than a bit in the Cassandra fight, Claire hasn't done much for a very long time. I'm half afraid that she won't even be the one to beat Priss.

Actually I didn't mean to make it sound like the lack of Claire was the only thing that dulled my interest. We've also had a bunch of new characters introduced who just seemed there to pad things out. At first I figured that was all Europa was, but now it's clear she was used to bring a close to Clarice and Maita's story arc. I guess I should also wait and see where the fight with Cassandra is going. At first I was wondering WTF is it still going after Claire took out the fake Priss, but now I'm wondering. I also had some real life stuff going on that limited my free time so I didn't have as much time to make reviews, or even go on this forum. I'd probably had a different POV if I'd been able to read some other peoples takes on things, like I am now

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply