Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
Thread Closed

Thread: Comparing the two Hunter x Hunter series to the manga

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Comparing the two Hunter x Hunter series to the manga

Using Family Guy as an example, I'm going to compare the two Hunter x Hunter series to the manga.

http://i.imgur.com/oIJDwFu.jpg

Let's say that base Stewie represents the manga. He is the original template from which all other Stewie variants are derived from.

http://imgur.com/R2mpLID

From the episode where Brian and Stewie travel to alternate universes, let's say that dog Stewie represents the 1999 series. Intellectually equal to base Stewie, the only difference is their physical appearances.

http://i.imgur.com/3rHRSmv.jpg

From the episode where Stewie clones himself, let's say that clone Stewie represents the 2011 series. Physically similar to base Stewie (more-so than dog Stewie) but not quite equal, while significantly inferior intellectually.

Now you're probably wondering where I'm going with this. It's simple, base Stewie and the Stewie variants decently represent the level of quality of the two Hunter x Hunter adaptations and the manga. The 2011 series is basically an intellectually inferior version of the manga (narrator telling the audiences what to feel for instance) even though it looks similar physically (more-so than the 1999 series). On the other hand, even though the 1999 series doesn't look physically similar to the manga, it was on the same level intellectually.

Dog Stewie is basically just Stewie in dog form. Everything else is the same, his evil habits, his mannerisms, and his intelligence. Clone Stewie on the other hand is less intelligent, his mannerisms aren't as mature and calculated, and he's just a poor substitute for base Stewie.

Clone Stewie is a less intelligent version of base Stewie, similar to how the 2011 series is a less intelligent version of the manga. While its physical appearance is more akin to the manga than the 1999 series, the 1999 series maintains the same level of intelligence as the manga, while not quite retaining the same look of the manga.

That's why the manga is superior to both adaptations, followed by the 1999 series, and lastly the 2011 series. Any questions?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comparing the two Hunter x Hunter series to the manga

I'm sorry, what?!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have two questions :
    1) Why did you feel the need to use the "Family Guy" analogy while you could have explained your point with much more clarity by going straight to the point ?
    2)What makes the 2011 version "less intelligent" than the manga version ? The only example you give is that the narrator is "telling us how to feel", which never happened. Not once.

Well, I will give you the benefit of doubt and assume you're joking

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member GalekC's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

..I'll just go re-watch episode 93, and face Palm.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I do have two questions :
    1) Why did you feel the need to use the "Family Guy" analogy while you could have explained your point with much more clarity by going straight to the point ?
    2)What makes the 2011 version "less intelligent" than the manga version ? The only example you give is that the narrator is "telling us how to feel", which never happened. Not once.
    1. To help illustrate my point better.

2. They do it all throughout the Hunter Exam arc, and beyond (to a lesser extent).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wubikro View Post
    1. To help illustrate my point better.

2. They do it all throughout the Hunter Exam arc, and beyond (to a lesser extent).
    1. Well you failed miserably at that.

2. That's not an example. Please cite actual specific events, narrations, etc that lead to your conclusion. Don't just say "It happened. Trust me" because we don't. Show some EVIDENCE.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You must be fun at parties!

... But seriously... i dont understand a single bit.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'll agree that the Hunter Exam arc was a more "dumbed down" and not that great compared to the other arcs, where were fantastic by the way. It was only like... halfway into the hunter exam that things really picked up. After that though, it's been fantastic, although I could've forgone the Kite death foreshadowing in the ant arc.

But that's like, what, two instances? And I pretty much forget the narrator is there at this point.

If you are going by a narrator telling us how to feel (which I don't think he is, honestly), how do you feel about the narrator during the palace invasion scene in the manga? Togashi could've done those scenes differently, but he chose to use a narrator.

I'm not going to go into the 1999 version because we're just beating a horse there (didn't we end this discussion a year ago?). I'm sorry, that one was bad directing, characterization, and fillers.

Family Guy probably wasn't the best comparison here... things tend to get lost in translation.
    Last edited by kindredxiuxiu; September 24, 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kind of lost. lol I've seen the ep of Family Guy you referenced, but...probably would've worked better without using it to make a point. I can't comment on the 2011 series, I've still never seen much of it. I come across it on television at times (the reruns) and I did see a GI ep. It was when Bisuke was training them and they had to fight that creeper who had the scissors. Man was the pacing fast compared to the 1999 series. Took about two or three eps to get to that point, iirc.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh God, not this again.

Wubriko, your choice in analogy pretty much dispelled all chances of your argument being treated seriously. Family Guy, in all honesty, is probably the dumbest form of popular entertainment humanity has ever rotted its collective intelligence with. Trying to argue that a particular version of Hunter x Hunter is more intelligent than another by comparing them to a show that revels in stupidity and juvenile humor, is an odd thematic choice, to say the least.

The merits of the 1999 and 2011 animes have already been debated at length -on these forums and across the internet. The argument has been so divisive and mean-spirited that, at this point, we stand to gain little by continuing it. Claiming, however, that the Madhouse anime is somehow intellectually inferior to the manga -when it has adapted its material almost panel-by-panel up until now- is something I cannot understand. Nostalgia is the only explanation, in my mind, for how anyone could think this. Killua's early treatment in the 1999 adaptation -in which all his cheerfulness (the main appeal of his character) is drained from his personality and replaced with mountains of unbearable angst- is, in my eyes, enough to discredit the the older anime's treatment of Togashi's complex source material.

You can like the 1999 anime all you want; taste is a subjective beast after all. Don't claim, however, that the 1999 anime is the superior animated version of the manga. At best, it is a fan retelling of Togashi's story. It follows the same basic plot, but in a way that is prejudiced towards the parts of the source material it believes is more important. Namely these are the parts it can exploit the most when going about its goal of subjecting the audience to gracious amounts of ANGST.

I could go on and on about why I think the 2011 anime is superior to its predecessor in almost every way. Its appealing character designs and brighter colors, skillfulness at balancing Togashi's shifts between lighthearted and dark tones, the sheer likability of its characters and the energy of its pace all work in its favor.

But let's just agree to disagree and enjoy the version of Hunter x Hunter (the greates manga of all time) we prefer.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, in all honesty I liked the darker colors. The 2011 version is too bright, but I can only say that about the ep I saw.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Invertroid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that the colors in the 1999 anime were too dark. They were bland, muted and in certain cases (see below) just plain unappealing in general. The 2011 colors aren't just bright; their bold, lively and are used in a more tasteful manner. The 2011 anime also knows when to be bright and when to be dark.The 1999 anime was dark all the time.

I just dislike some of the coloring choices used for many of the characters, such as the yucky lime green of Gon's shorts and jacket and the and the hideous mixture of light pink and maroon used for Killu's main outfit.

But again, all of this is subjective.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Invertroid View Post
    It's not that the colors in the 1999 anime were too dark. They were bland, muted and in certain cases (see below) just plain unappealing in general. The 2011 colors aren't just bright; their bold, lively and are used in a more tasteful manner. The 2011 anime also knows when to be bright and when to be dark.The 1999 anime was dark all the time.

I just dislike some of the coloring choices used for many of the characters, such as the yucky lime green of Gon's shorts and jacket and the and the hideous mixture of light pink and maroon used for Killu's main outfit.

But again, all of this is subjective.
    Yup, true. The newer version is nice looking...but I kinda liked that dark style for some reason from the 1999 version even if it was really prominent but I've never been big on art in a general sense, so it's easy to satisfy me.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I'm not going to go into the 1999 version because we're just beating a horse there (didn't we end this discussion a year ago?). I'm sorry, that one was bad directing, characterization, and fillers.
    Kazuhiro Furuhashi was one of the best anime directors of his time, his work on the 1999 series was nothing less than superb. Not to mention many consider the 1999 series to have some of the best anime filler, period. As far as characterization is concerned, the newer series turned Hisoka from an unpredictable psychopath to an "honorable warrior." Remember Swindler's Swamp? In both the manga and the older series, Hisoka murdered applicants indiscriminately. In the newer series, he didn't even want to kill them. They changed it to self-defense, the applicants started attacking him first. Let's not forget about deus ex machina Kite either. Furuhashi might not have been without fault, but he was a much better director than the one we have now.

This newer director has a habit of sabotaging the story to make it worse for no apparent reason. He has no respect for the source material whatsoever, he just unimaginatively adapts the panels while making random, inconsequential changes that bring down the overall quality of the series. Butchering the second exam phase just to include some pointless filler two or three episodes later? What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    If you are going by a narrator telling us how to feel (which I don't think he is, honestly), how do you feel about the narrator during the palace invasion scene in the manga? Togashi could've done those scenes differently, but he chose to use a narrator.
    The narrator was used to illustrate the events that were happening during the Chimera Ant arc, not to tell us what to feel. I'm not against the idea of having a narrator, I'm against the idea of having a narrator tell us what the characters are feeling and how we should feel about it, instead of relying on actual character development.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone please close this thread. It's gonna go downhill. Fast.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Koukushi Musou!! (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...-D-Rufi-Thread
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com

Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/

17. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post