Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Thunder / Lightning - Titan Shifters

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner mackie1102's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

Thunder / Lightning - Titan Shifters

Guys! Hi! I don't know if there's already a thread about this (I couldn't find any) but I'd like to read if some of you have thought about the thunder that appears right before a titan (like Eren, Annie, Berth, Reiner, Ymir) transforms? Why is it? Physical law? Why does it come from "heaven"? ._.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ImmortalZodd's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thunder / Lightning - Titan Shifters

Satelite in low orbit. True story

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Themistocles's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalZodd View Post
    Satelite in low orbit. True story
    Not Utawarerumono again!!

Just curious OP, does the manga also have the thunder and lightning for transformations?
    Kartoffeln sind gut

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Themistocles View Post
    Not Utawarerumono again!!

Just curious OP, does the manga also have the thunder and lightning for transformations?
    The manga shows it as a flash of light that the titan forms emerge from and since we can´t hear sound in a manga, I assume it actually is lightning, the trigger spark that alllows them to conjure the materials to create their forms.
    I guess it´s a symbol for creation where the shifters in a sense becomes "gods" capable of creating everything from nothing
    (titan bodies are light and they dissolve once there is nothing to maintain the forms anymore.
    And it might be connected to the origin of the very word "Titan" that is greek mythology. (Zeus comes to mind here, the man that imprisoned them.)
    (Smiles)
    Maybe It´s like Zeus is letting the Titans out to play with that lightning strike as a key to free them from their prison?
    (Jokes aside.)

Maybe the lightning strike is the energy it shapes the forms by energy-matter conversion?
    That for sure would explain where these bodies comes from since there is a lot of power in a lightning strike.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@Nanozom
    I agree with the energy transfer bit, but I just can't get my mind over the fact they have command over the heavens when they injure themselves lol...
    Logically, I would assume their willpower + injury triggers some sort of mechanism within their bodies (chemical reaction,) and thereby attracting a lightning strike that would provide them with the energy to transform. But you'd have to be soooo overly ionised to get the that strike on you, not to mention creating that strike in the first place... And it seems they can transform underground as well... dunno...

That, or it's just dramatic licensing and/or as you say, symbolism only but nothing else.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no physicist but I'm sure that light hardening into mass (assuming that is where the bodies come from) would have some effect on surrounding particles or release energy (we know it blasts people around away and gets really hot). It could just be tons of static coming off them. The Colossal Titan had a much bigger lightning bolt as well.

I don't think the energy actually comes from the lighting (you'd need a lot more than a few bolts to do it).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epictoads View Post
    I'm no physicist but I'm sure that light hardening into mass (assuming that is where the bodies come from) would have some effect on surrounding particles or release energy (we know it blasts people around away and gets really hot). It could just be tons of static coming off them. The Colossal Titan had a much bigger lightning bolt as well.

I don't think the energy actually comes from the lighting (you'd need a lot more than a few bolts to do it).
    A "few" bolts?
    You realize that the lightning strike lasted for eleven seconds in ep 24.
    (I counted)
    And that is insane amounts of energy considering that a usual one only last for a second at most.
    To maintain a bolt like that, it would be the same as grabbing a high-voltage cable and hold on. That´s more than enough energy for a transformation.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Im pretty sure the lightning is just for dramatic effect i don't think it really happens.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply