Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Can we consider Titans as living beings at all?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we consider Titans as living beings at all?

I'm sure that most of us have learned about the 7 characteristics of living beings at some point in biology. For those who aren't familiar with them, or simply don't remember them, do go and google them because I will post them so we can compare them with what we know of Titans.

1. Living beings are composed of cells

We can see that Titans have cells because of they can regenerate after being wounded. All living beings can regenerate and all living beings have cells.

2.Living beings have different levels of organisation

Titans have tissues and organs, namely bones, muscles, stomachs, and some sort of central control in their napes

3.Living things use energy

They are solar powered

4.Living things grow

Now this is where problems arise. We don't know if they grow, but if they do, then it is at huge rates, since there is a 12 meter difference between the smallest titans and the biggest ones (Colossal titan doesn't count).

5.Living things respond to the environment

Since they fall into comatose state when deprived of light and interact with humans, then this can be considered as a characteristic of the Titans

6.Living things reproduce

They have no visible sexual organs and if they reproduced asexually, that would mean that the offspring would be a clone of the parent, as far as I know. Titans are look VERY different from each other. So no, we have no proof that they reproduce.

7. Living things adapt to the surrounding environment

Do they even need to adapt at all? They don't bother anyone, save humans and shifters, and as far as we know nobody else bothers them, save humans and shifters. As far as we know they do not adapt.

Since they do not fulfill all the conditions mentioned above, we can assume that they are not living beings, but I still have doubts. What do you think?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can we consider Titans as living beings at all?

Titans are a extreme form of body armor. an exoskeleton and machine so to say.
    They are run by a dreaming human
    They are just as alive as a car is with the driver sleeping behind the wheel

If this made sense.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nanozom View Post

If this made sense.
    ...nah, that can't be it. they would have found discovered a human's body in their necks long ago. they ahve captured titan before after all.

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

If this made sense.

I agree with lordoffantasy. However, I do believe what you said is very close to the truth about the Titans' origins.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner YipYip's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordoffantasy View Post
    ...nah, that can't be it. they would have found discovered a human's body in their necks long ago. they ahve captured titan before after all.
    I dont think they would have noticed, because titans regenerate to quick for anyone to dig out the human body... anyway, the humans might be sleeping in the necks, but I think they have pretty much fused with the titan body, because they vaporize at the same speed as the titan body does...

Well but Armin noticed that after seeing where Eren came out of his titan, don't know if he told anybody yet about it...

To point 6. Reproduce:
    Can't we call that, what the ape titan did, reproduce?

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YipYip View Post
    I dont think they would have noticed, because titans regenerate to quick for anyone to dig out the human body... anyway, the humans might be sleeping in the necks, but I think they have pretty much fused with the titan body, because they vaporize at the same speed as the titan body does...

Well but Armin noticed that after seeing where Eren came out of his titan, don't know if he told anybody yet about it...

To point 6. Reproduce:
    Can't we call that, what the ape titan did, reproduce?
    No we cannot. It cannot be called sexual reproduction, since there was no combination of genetic material from two different individuals. We cannot call it asexual reproduction either since in that case the offspring would inherit genetic material form 1 parent only, thus it would be a clone. As we can see the Ape Titan is vastly different from ALL other Titans. I would compare that process to a human planting a plant or maybe building a machine.

As for the human in the nape of the neck, yes what you said is quite plausible.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

If this made sense.
    Yeah they're essentially mechs made out of flesh.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner eton's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Mechs with no pilot?? Or a sleeping pilot (as in the case when Eren was meant to be lifting the bolder to block the hole in the gate, but right after shifting he was on auto-pilot as a mindless titan and almost killed Mikasa).

The fact that some titans seem to be able to speak is very mysterious to me. When Connie's 'mother' in titan form says 'welcome home'... That makes me think that there's a gap between being turned into a titan where the human mind is still in-tact enough for some of the original person to remain, and then you quickly lose all sense of self and your humanity as you become a mindless titan. In a sense, the human in the nape of regular mindless titans' necks is a passive / powerless vessel which is being used to 'power' the titan so it can be a mindless eating-machine.

New Reply