Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Log Horizon

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Log Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Ending arc wasnt as memorable as the time spent previously with the goblins marching on shore and all the other events of that arc but it was a decent close out. Log Horizon was a rather alright experience at times featuring some great moments when it too did make me want to kind of live out in its world. I would probably side more along the lines of the Tohya brigade going in and learning the in and outs of the game from the noobs type of perspective and then being in his same position, or a mage like Rudy. Largely, the anime was at its best focused on their pursuits and interests and it felt like highly focused writing, with the best mix of giving out rules and strategy, while having some mighty fine action and magicks.

Anime largely failed for me whenever it was outside of that as often the tabletop politics was too dragged out and dull while any sort of romance in the anime felt out of place and awkward. Really if one was actually trapped in a game why would some of things their doing (advancing technology, trying to establish some political system, and a few more random things including experiencing depression from trying to win over another girl), be on the mind. One would be best trying to uncover the secret of the world, getting together with the mage historian and trying to reveal what happened in the outside world and working on a way to get out of Elder Tale.

Will stick around for more but I hope the following season can correct many faults and at least explore more of the brigade. Shiroe and other older characters are best left to the sides and off screen. 6/10.
    Interesting and very different from my experience.

I liked the political drama, the romance, and the older characters but felt the story weakened when it was focusing on the brigade. Which is not to say there was anything wrong with Tohya, Minori, and rest but it just seemed to me like they're involvement was forced. It would have felt much more natural to me to see more action involving Marielle, Henrietta, Naotsugu, Nyanta, and Akatsuki. Of the older characters it often felt to me like only Krusty and Shiroe were being proactive; while the rest of the high level players sat on their hands or were delayed by something they should have steamrolled over. There were plot reasons for it, but it still felt weird sometimes.

That being said the only things I'd really like to see "fixed" in Season 2 is better production values for the combat, the fight animation could have been a lot better, and to see more done with the penalty for dying.
    Last edited by Jammin; March 23, 2014 at 07:27 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I
    That being said the only things I'd really like to see "fixed" in Season 2 is better production values for the combat, the fight animation could have been a lot better, and to see more done with the penalty for dying.
    Oh yeah I would want a production value rise too, I remember when the anime did start it felt on the less vibrant and flashy end of the spectrum for actiony series. The soundtrack could also be a bit more enhanced, I honestly dont remember any song from the show beyond the OP.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Oh yeah I would want a production value rise too, I remember when the anime did start it felt on the less vibrant and flashy end of the spectrum for actiony series. The soundtrack could also be a bit more enhanced, I honestly dont remember any song from the show beyond the OP.
    Don't forget the ending theme. That one was by far my favorite, and I loved the way each episode built up to it at the end. I'm gonna miss that.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice ending. It did fit and made me hyped for season 2. I really hope character development is top priority next season. I could live with the awkward romance but seirously... Almost every member of Log Horizon needs more depth.
    Still, I never expected this would be for fun than SAO. At least for me.

All in all 6,5/10. The arc with the goblins was really good but the rest felt a bit lackluster. Animation was very weird from time to time and the main characters got less and less screen time. The "cliffhanger" was good though. Another good thing is that the ending song was great. Probably my favourite of the last two seasons.

New Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7