Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: Who's going to bring Ignes down?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raizel

1 25.00%
  • Frankenstien

2 50.00%
  • Rajak

0 0%
  • Rael

0 0%
  • Seira

1 25.00%
  • Other (please post)

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 298 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 298 Review

I'll have you know this review never would have been completed if GTA Onlines servers weren't imploding this morning. Fortunately there is a server room on fire somewhere so lets get to it!

Last week the poll was about how strong Ignes is. Most put her toward the stronger side of things. Which seems to be about on target seeing as how much hype she got this week. Whether or not she's tough enough to hit the "Franky level" watermark remains to be seen but it's looking pretty good.

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

Now THAT is a creepy smile.

This week begins with Rael staring off into the night sky on Frankenstien's patio agonizing over Seira and her interest in Shin Woo. When he notices Regis walking by he tries to mock him for training with humans but Regis simply counters with how effective that training proved against him (I can't say I actually recall it being very effective but... whatever.). As he's walking away Rael stops him and asks what Seira's interest in "that particular human" is.

Regis starts by going over all Shin Woo's faults. He's a troublemaker, he's loud, he's inelegant, he's lazy. This makes Rael conclude that he's lousy even by human standards but Regis tells him that he couldn't be further from the truth because regardless of his faults, he is willing to risk his life to protect the weak or his friends. Rael still can't stand the thought that he could be right but Regis just tells him that's for Seira to decide, not him. And in what I can only imagine was a flash of pure evil recommends he try talking to Raizel about his problems.

Rael hesitantly takes Regis' advice and finds Raizel in the living room. Franky happens to be walking by and is understandably stunned as he overhears Rael asking for relationship advice. Raizel takes it in stride and suggests he talk to Seira about it which Rael takes to be great advice, through Franky from a distance feels certain his master told him that because he had no idea what to say.

Meanwhile Crombell has a video conference with Yuri and tells him to personally observe Ignes because he believes she will be the key to starting something big. Yuri is a little dubious about the idea that Roctis' daughter could really make that much difference so Crombell explains that she's not just his daughter. She's apparently hundreds of years older than the current clan leaders(I'm assuming this doesn't apply to Gejutel) and though lacking a soul weapon considers herself stronger than the current clan leaders even without one. However, still bothered by not having one, she became focused on enhancements in order to compensate for it anyway. And in reality she's not so much the student of the 9th elder as she is his equal. So to summarize she's a pureblood noble, mad scientist, and possibly walking superweapon.

Back in Korea at the KSA headquarters Regis and Seira are at a meeting offering the official help of Lukedonia to them against the Union. This surprises the KSA people a little since Frankenstien has already provided so much help and they assumed he was part of Lukedonia. But Seira explains to them that while they are not completely unrelated Franky and Lukedonia are separate entities.

Not too far away, Ignes looks down upon the city (literally and figuratively). And decides to start her search for the Clan Leaders at the KSA and crashes into the building.

Chapter Review

Off panel somewhere Regis is laughing his ass off.

Substance

The first half, or so, of this chapter was devoted to Rael still struggling with the fact that he isn't Seira's type and struggling even more with the possibility that Shin Woo is. I liked this quite a bit for a few reasons. One is that it's probably the first time I found Rael to be genuinely endearing. While he is still a douche, he's a douche desperately in love and I think that awkwardness works well for him. The other reason is the way it created a hilarious moment for Raizel. When he gave out relationship advice for probably the first time ever in his whole extremely long life. Just a really good scene all around.

The next biggest chunk of this chapter was about hyping Ignes, who is apparently quite a badass, and establishing her as someone who doesn't seem to regard humans very highly, to say the least. As many noticed in the discussion thread she seems very similar to past villains, and while I agree, I think there are some reasons for it this time which give her fairly high potential.

#1 "Seira is her nemisis"

Seira is a fairly young noble who relies heavily on her Soul Weapon. Ignes is a very old noble who never received a Soul Weapon. In a way, Seira's situation is embodiment of the thing that Ignes is driven to surpass. They are natural enemies and I'm looking forward to seeing how they deal with one another.

#2 "She parallel's with Rael"

Rael has long been striving to gain power due to the fact that his brother was made head of the clan and that he only received half a soul weapon. This insecurity seems to have driven him to try and prove himself superior. In this Ignes is similar. Just even more extreme. In a way, looking at Ignes for him could be like seeing what he could become. As much as I still don't like Rael, I think that could be pretty cool.

Presentation

The artwork in this chapter was pretty weak for the most part. It wasn't quite devoid of good moments, as I thought the shadowy panel featuring a evil looking Ignes was really good, but the KSA scene was pretty bad looking. And the Rael parts were mostly average or below. So all in all I thought it was below average artistically.

In terms of pacing, I really liked what this chapter did. It started out fairly slow with the Rael parts. Then hyped Ignes a bit and jumped right into unleashing her upon the good guys. Making the pacing extremely fast without necessarily seeming like it.

Overall Rating

Another really solid chapter in most respects. I'm very much liking the up tempo and think Ignes is showing more potential to resonate with the characters she will be fighting than I expected she would. In addition Rael probably had the best character development scene he's ever had. To bad the art was a bit rough.

I'm going to give it a slightly generous 4 out of 5

Predictions Section

New Prediction
    • Rael and Ignes will end up fighting.

Old Predictions: (25 Wins/ 35 Losses)

I think Lee Youn-In is going to be more than just a soon-to-be-forgotten sub-character. I suspect she may have a role in the plot.
    Nope, turns out that's exactly what she was.

Spoiler: Ongoing show
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 298 Review

I liked your review! I agree that Ignes is different from the typical villain and that is similar to Rael. The funny part is that Rael was also looking down on the human city in season 3 just like her...Ignes has her reasons, and I am giving her importance as I believe she might know Rai and Frankenstein.

Every noble villain so far has been different and I have felt pity for them on their end. Zarga was a good guy at the end... Sure he betrayed Lukedonia and killed Seira's father and all but he showed his worth by gladly accepting his fate and thanking Raizel... Urokai seemed like an anmoying guy but he too earned respect among fandom thanks to his ending words: Please forgive me...for causing you sadness. So I believe we should expect Ignes to be different...

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

I think she would be saved by either Muzaka or "them"...

Noblesse Forever!

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a good review. But I'm rather suprised that you gave it such a good rating. I would have given it a2 or a 3. I mean the first ten pages were filler with this whole heart broken Rael dilemma.

Regis seems to be somewhat forgetfull. How can he advice Rael to ask Rai about relationship matters when a few chapters ago Franken told most of them that Rai used to live on his own for thousands of years. Clearly the person who didn't have one friend for thousand of years or contact to anybody knows about love matters.

Wonder what Rael would have done if Rai told him that Seira is off-limits for him?

Seems like Ignes doesn't know how many elders died together in Korea and which elders died. I mean if she knew that two former clan leaders and an elder that she helped enhance were killed all at the same time then surely she wouldn't have come alone.

I wonder if Kaye or Ignes is older?
    I mean it seems like Kaye's clan seems to be somewhat mysterious cause his father nor he used to serve in the central order but rather used to stay on their own land to train. That is most likely why Franken challenged 12 clan leaders in the past and not 13. So I wonder how this will play out.

Ignes like Rael is a lost sould and Regis gave us an indication that if she meets Rai he will most likly guide her. And I doubt hat she knows Rai. Gejutel said it only clan leaders and above know about Rai.

I really hope that Franken will massacre Ignes. Only to fuel his hate relationship with Roctis more. I mean Franken already have a lot of reasons to hate Roctis but Roctis has none by getting his daughter killed by Franken Roctis and Franken would be a sealed match.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mohsen View Post
    It is a good review. But I'm rather suprised that you gave it such a good rating. I would have given it a2 or a 3. I mean the first ten pages were filler with this whole heart broken Rael dilemma.

Regis seems to be somewhat forgetfull. How can he advice Rael to ask Rai about relationship matters when a few chapters ago Franken told most of them that Rai used to live on his own for thousands of years. Clearly the person who didn't have one friend for thousand of years or contact to anybody knows about love matters.

Wonder what Rael would have done if Rai told him that Seira is off-limits for him?

Seems like Ignes doesn't know how many elders died together in Korea and which elders died. I mean if she knew that two former clan leaders and an elder that she helped enhance were killed all at the same time then surely she wouldn't have come alone.

I wonder if Kaye or Ignes is older?
    I mean it seems like Kaye's clan seems to be somewhat mysterious cause his father nor he used to serve in the central order but rather used to stay on their own land to train. That is most likely why Franken challenged 12 clan leaders in the past and not 13. So I wonder how this will play out.

Ignes like Rael is a lost sould and Regis gave us an indication that if she meets Rai he will most likly guide her. And I doubt hat she knows Rai. Gejutel said it only clan leaders and above know about Rai.

I really hope that Franken will massacre Ignes. Only to fuel his hate relationship with Roctis more. I mean Franken already have a lot of reasons to hate Roctis but Roctis has none by getting his daughter killed by Franken Roctis and Franken would be a sealed match.
    I think the argument can most certainly be made for a 3 this week, especially if I was to penalize the KSA scenes art more severely(and that detail work was pretty terrible), but I'm guess I gave the chapter some extra credit for moving things a long as rapidly as it has. Mainly because I think it's supremely important to put that last arc behind the series and pull our attention to something new.

Even with the Rael stuff I think this chapter did that impressively well.

As for Ignes I would guess she's older than everybody except Gejutel, probably even Raskeria. Mainly because it just makes sense, if that's her thing, not to half ass it. Because with things set up the way that are she needs to be extremely strong.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member strixflash's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously Ignes is much younger than Gejutel. Gejutel is of same age as that of Roctis as both of them are past clan leaders... Also, I am sure she is younger than Raskreia, and even if it was otherwise she would hardly be a threat to someone of Raskreia's level.

Noblesse Forever!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strixflash View Post
    Obviously Ignes is much younger than Gejutel. Gejutel is of same age as that of Roctis as both of them are past clan leaders... Also, I am sure she is younger than Raskreia, and even if it was otherwise she would hardly be a threat to someone of Raskreia's level.
    I agree she would be no threat to Raskeira but age and power aren't necessarily the same thing. Rael for example is much older than Seira but Seira is the stronger.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

i think Raskeira is stronger then old clan leaders.

rai, frank and maybe Rajak can kill or defeat Ignes (1 vs 1) but if its others (Rael, Seira and rk4 ) they will need team to kill or defeat Ignes

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I think the argument can most certainly be made for a 3 this week, especially if I was to penalize the KSA scenes art more severely(and that detail work was pretty terrible), but I'm guess I gave the chapter some extra credit for moving things a long as rapidly as it has. Mainly because I think it's supremely important to put that last arc behind the series and pull our attention to something new.

Even with the Rael stuff I think this chapter did that impressively well.

As for Ignes I would guess she's older than everybody except Gejutel, probably even Raskeria. Mainly because it just makes sense, if that's her thing, not to half ass it. Because with things set up the way that are she needs to be extremely strong.
    Even if Ignes is extremely powerful she will be nothing compares to the 5th,6th and 7th elder. Even so Rajak has an incomplete SW he hold his own pretty well against Zarga and Seira forced Zarga to get serious. This is why I can't see Ignes trashing anyone besides the trio and Regis. Everyone else will either annhilate her or hold her off until Rai arrives.

Rai is somewhat in a predictament. I mean the old lord asked him to protect the children of the Nobles now Rai will meet a child that went astray so how will he handle things.
    I mean Ignes is like that because of her father.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suraj5898 View Post
    i think Raskeira is stronger then old clan leaders.

rai, frank and maybe Rajak can kill or defeat Ignes (1 vs 1) but if its others (Rael, Seira and rk4 ) they will need team to kill or defeat Ignes
    That is entirely possible. It's going to be very interesting to see what she can do with her modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohsen View Post
    Rai is somewhat in a predictament. I mean the old lord asked him to protect the children of the Nobles now Rai will meet a child that went astray so how will he handle things.
    I mean Ignes is like that because of her father.
    Interesting point. That's the kind of thing Raizel takes pretty seriously too. I wonder what he will do with her if he ends up thinking she's his responisbility. (which she's really not, her father is still alive after all, but still)

Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    That is entirely possible. It's going to be very interesting to see what she can do with her modifications.

Interesting point. That's the kind of thing Raizel takes pretty seriously too. I wonder what he will do with her if he ends up thinking she's his responisbility. (which she's really not, her father is still alive after all, but still)
    I believe that Rai won't be too harsh on her. I mean he also overlooked what Rael did without a problem. I think that Rai won't be too happy to be forced to kill Ignes if he has to cause Franken already said it Rai wish that Roctis and co. would never cross his path so he won't have to kill the ones he once considered to be his companions.

New Reply