Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have a feeling Luffy will get sick or die after his journey

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling Luffy will get sick or die after his journey

Hey,

I am sure it has been brought up before, but Oda is known for foreshadowing. He has already mentioned the toll that Luffy's gears, Ivankov's hormones, and all his battles have taken on his body. However, I think this will play a role toward the end of his journey or even after Luffy obtains One Piece, becomes king of the pirates, etc.

I was thinking about this tendency in anime to make characters that are legendary/extremely overpowered experience some sort of illness to weaken them/retain their unbeatable status. When Luffy gets even stronger toward the end of his journey, I think this illness/lifespan/damage to his body will start to play a role.

These are just a few examples off the top of my head:

Naruto -
    Spoiler show

One Piece -
    Spoiler show

Rurouni Kenshin -
    Spoiler show

Katanagatari -
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have a feeling Luffy will get sick or die after his journey

How does bringing up tertiary characters and antagonists (especially Itachi and Nanami) from other series support any theory towards One Piece leaning towards Luffy as title character and protagonist will die? Everyone has to die at some point, so will Luffy, too. But IMHO we won't see him dying.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

not even a metastasized cancer on the brain can eat through his rubber body... how is he suppose to get sick and die?lol

Do you remember during the arc of alabasta when they recruited chopper that Nami got sick and it was clealry stated that Sanji, Ussop and Luffy has never been sick.. ever... since they don't know what it feels to be sick or what being sick means... ViVi said that they are not normal human beings.. (that clip was really funny)..
    Last edited by jimtors; October 01, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while, but maybe this older thread will help out.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, not only do the side effects of the gears make it obvious, but how Oda is drawing a parallel between Luffy and Roger--which makes it seem like Luffy is his reincarnation.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Whitebeard on the list? He died from his injuries at the hands of the Marine and the Blackbeard crew, not from sickness. I'm not sure if Whitebeard was on a jouney either.

In any case, I can see Luffy surpassing Roger by surviving. He might die due to an illness (not being sick wouldn't mean it's from being rubber), but I doubt it. I actually envision Luffy's death stemming from saving his crew or a large group of people, to be honest. He nearly died many times for the sake of his nakama or friends.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Cavendish's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanji was pretty bad injured at FI, thanks to the Non-rasism he got his bloodtype.
    Luffy was close dying from Crocodile and also at Punk Hazard twice(Ceasar and Monet), that is one thing Oda need to improve, I Rather read badass fights where they both know what the other one is capable of doing than Luffy is "dumb" at the beginning and realizes afterwards that he need to kick the enemys ass (sry for language)

Other manga that characters died is Dragonball, thanks to Shenlong they got their life back!

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Luffy was close to death against Caesar and Monet though. More like knocked unconscious by Caesar and dropped in a room with scary monster by Monet, which wouldn't hurt him due to rubber and him bein strong.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, too bad he doesn't have someone on his crew whose dream is to become a doctor that can heal any disease...oh wait...he does.

If Oda does decide to parallel Roger with Luffy and have Luffy get sick, possibly the same disease Roger contracted, it will fall upon Chopper to heal him. Which he will succeed in doing, thus achieving his dream of becoming a doctor that could cure any disease. After his journey though? Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone (with the possible exception of Brook) will die after their journey. Most likely of old age.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey luffys life span doesnt decrease due to his gears. Lucci said that if the blood flow in liffys body when he does gear 2 was done by a normal person, his life would detoriate. But it doesnt effect luffy in any way cause he is rubber. Thus making gear 2 possible only for luffy.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Lucci said that Luffy's body bein rubber is why his blood vessels don't explode. I think Usopp, Chopper, Lucci, and Luffy have alll said that using Gear 2 (and Gear 3?) reduced Luffy's lifespan because of the strain. I don't entirely remember, though.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy's health is deteriorating to me, and I also remember a character saying that Luffy's use of gears is decreasing his life span, its definitely taking its toll on his body. I think its very possible he might die after his journey, and btw I don't think there is a cure waiting for over stressing your body, Chopper can warn him and tell him that his life is in danger and even prescribe some things to help him but I doubt Luffy would sit still when he needs too, he goes out of his way for his nakama.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i read the wiki. Didnt say anything about his life deteriorating(spelling?)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Why is Whitebeard on the list? He died from his injuries at the hands of the Marine and the Blackbeard crew, not from sickness. I'm not sure if Whitebeard was on a jouney either.

In any case, I can see Luffy surpassing Roger by surviving. He might die due to an illness (not being sick wouldn't mean it's from being rubber), but I doubt it. I actually envision Luffy's death stemming from saving his crew or a large group of people, to be honest. He nearly died many times for the sake of his nakama or friends.
    yes, but whitebeard was clearly ill since he almost fainted several times at marineford for over exerting himself. Did you forget this dude was hooked to an iv all the time?

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lifespan whatever, let's say he'll live till he's 50 years old instead of 80. Luffy dying in the same way as Roger would not only be unoriginal (with the pretense of a parallel), but also mean that Luffy couldn't accomplish the task Roger left behind, since he'd die too early.

Secondary chars dying is different from MC dying.

WB was old, so it's natural that he was "sick". Still, he lived even after getting alf his head blown off. Bad example, if you ask me.
    Last edited by 0Xellos; October 08, 2013 at 04:52 AM.
    REVOLUTION! FREEDOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

24. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast