Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I have a feeling Luffy will get sick or die after his journey

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have a feeling Luffy will get sick or die after his journey

Quote Originally Posted by sameel View Post
    Well i read the wiki. Didnt say anything about his life deteriorating(spelling?)
    thats the right spelling of deteriorating, and I don't know if it says it in the wiki or not, but it seems a couple of us have memories of the gears taking their toll on luffy physically, and I can't say for sure but I remember it and it seems others do as well, though it was a while ago around when he first got it.

actually scratch that I looked it up in the wiki and apparently Rob Lucci tells him (I took this straight out of the wiki by the way).

"Due to this, as also pointed out by Rob Lucci, Gear Second hacks away at Luffy's life force dramatically, increasing a chance of having a much shorter lifespan because he is starving his body, though Luffy rebukes it, saying that it does not matter as long as he saves his friends."

It explains how and why he is starving his body for nutrients but I won't post all of that, so its under the Gomu Gomu no Mi/Gear second.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    yes, but whitebeard was clearly ill since he almost fainted several times at marineford for over exerting himself. Did you forget this dude was hooked to an iv all the time?
    where did he almost faint? I don't remember that at all, especially when his own "son" stabbed him.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah man...i don't want luffy to die. The guy is the most epic character ever.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

There are two instances exactly where it is voiced that the Gears reduce Luffy's life: Enies Lobby by Rob Lucci (who puts it very bluntly) and on Thriller Bark by Usopp (though it is more ambiguous).

Since Luffy does seem to have incredible health he might not fall ill like Roger did (and if he does he has Chopper as it has already been pointed out).
    But I once heard during a discourse about health in connection to the life force of a person, that our lives are to be seen like batteries: Our bodies do contain a certain amount of energy/ life force and once it is severely depleted there is no simple turning back and recharging it like we do with a battery.
    That is why some people who suffered serious physical as well as mental ailments may show signs to have aged many years in a very short amount of time.

So it might be that Luffy will not fall ill but could literally drop dead from exhaustion.
    But I actually want him to live a long life full of adventure.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member R3D's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

i still dont get why luffy can use gears and why is the only that can

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R3D View Post
    i still dont get why luffy can use gears and why is the only that can
    What Luffy does has to do with his Devil Fruit ability. Luffy, being entirely made of rubber, can stretch any part of his body. This does apply to his blood vessels and heart as well, which can expand and be squeezed far beyond what any normal human body could take.

Whenever Luffy engages his "Gear 2" he goes in a horse stance, where he pushes on his knees and by extension on his lower legs, making it basically work like a pump.
    By doing so, he stimulates his blood to flow much faster through his body, thus raising his blood pressure to levels where usually people's ateries would burst - the reason why Luffy is the only one who will ever be able to use it.

For a short amount of time it will work like a stimulant or drug enhancing his physical strength and endurance and numbing pain to some extent.
    The immediate after-effects though are exhaustion, the onset of the pain that was numbed (amplified by his body's exhaustion) and hyperthermia (the reason why Luffy's body steams). The long-term effects of the Gears could be stroke, heart failure or kidney failure to name a few...

Hope this helped!

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2