Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Collective Reading of Kongou Banchou by SUZUKI Nakaba

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collective Reading of Kongou Banchou by SUZUKI Nakaba

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Pirate View Post
    U meant "chapter 16.5" ... So how will it work... we keep posting from Oct 7th to 13th on the chapters we read with spoilers.. or we just designate this week only for reading and starting 13th oct we can start posting our views on vol 1 & vol 2???
    Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    In particular, we should compromise to not spoil the reading others are doing. For instance, if we choose 2 volumes per week, comments on volume 3 or more will not be allowed in the first week, etc.... If it's 2 vol/week, likely we will be posting our impressions on the volumes read for every week at the end of the respective week.

it's up to you.i would go with spoilers if i were to post something in the beginning of the week.towards the end of the week,everyone would have read the volumes.not an issue in any case.
    the artist reveals and i revel.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

U meant "chapter 16.5" ... So how will it work... we keep posting from Oct 7th to 13th on the chapters we read with spoilers.. or we just designate this week only for reading and starting 13th oct we can start posting our views on vol 1 & vol 2???
    Wow, my bad. I'll correct the schedule with '16.5'. Thanks

In this week (Oct 7-13) we B]can post [/B]their comments on vol 1 and 2 (up to chapter 16.5). In Oct 14-20 we will post comments on vol 3 and 4, (up to chapter 36). So the weeks on the schedule are week for reading and posting comments. Please, let me know if it's not clear.

All of us sould keep in mind that in coming to the thread we would find comments on the asigned chapters to that week; so that nobody gets his/her reading spoiled.

---------- Post added October 09, 2013 at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was October 07, 2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

Ok, I begin with my comments on vol 1 and 2.

As we were told in the reviews is a very simple plot. 23 strong guys, the Banchous, are going to fight and eliminate between them to gain the right to rule Tokio and rebirth Japan. That is called the 23 district project. There is one strong guy, Akira Kongou, who originally doesn’t belong to the 23, and who wants to stop that project. The guy is a MAN of principles, who values family, children, duty and ethics. In fighting and beating one of those strong guys he becomes one of the Banchous.

Banchous seem to have been an honorable tradition or institution from past times, it seems that tradition has been corrupted and become some kind of reformist organization from the extreme right wing, and also that Akira belongs to likely the most honorable part of that tradition. But we still don’t know why are these strong Banchous so strong, and why does Akira know about the project and mainly why does he want to stop it, question that should be answered likely with the final fight.

Anyway it seems Akira is also worried about the habits and lack of principles reigning in the current times. So I guess the main difference between Akira and the people from the project is about how to reform and change the people:

Are you a lazy ass influenced by the mass media? Stop with it!

Now, as the reviewers said it, the humor is nice and to me it’s the strongest point of the serie in this 2 volumes.

Next I share my impressions on each arc of these 2 volumes:

• Iai Banchou's arc
    I liked this character; he is a combination of swordsman, gardener, refined manners and language, and poet was very enjoyable. There is comedy also in that he accompanies his main strikes with poetic lines, and the drawings used by Nakaba in portraying that was nice to see, since is very telling of the character, aren't they ?:
    Spoiler show

Now, the conversation between Hinako and Akira in the coffee shop was very funny. I wonder if there is some kind of world-play in Hinako's idea that the battle-royale between the Banchous could be a bikini competition.
    • Nenbutsu Banchou's arc
    I think I had to change my avatar. I take it only because of the drawing and for advertising the reading, but the guy is less interesting and entertaining than Iai or Hykio. Akira becoming a god to the idolaters eyes, due to his skill to walk on top of the waters, was so funny. As well as Raionji’s intent to use his secret power in close combat that was like:
    From this arc, Oyanana change of personality is telling. Basically all Banchous are reformists. What Akira is doing with the people he beats, in some cases, is to make them think in what they are doing and to try to change them. In a less dramatic change, it happened also to Ouda the boxer in the previous arc.
    • Gouriki Banjou
    I don’t understand why Akira is rated as an average intelligent guy. Even his catch mark is: "that wasn't very smart at all". I mean, knowing that hydrated asdophyll reacts with delodohydroxylene neutralizing its toxins is so much of an smart guy! Anyawy it seems Akira really does all his homeworks, which is very appropriate for a man of principles.
    And talking about knowledge, how you find the explanation of hyperion constitution? (I confess I googled it).
    • Hykio Banchou's arc
    Shirobara Banjou's elimination was just... beautiful. Such a beautiful face, such beautifully smashed and reprimanded for littering the street with all those beautiful flowers… such a beautiful guffaw …

Now Hykio, the masked dirty banchou, is the most interesting rival to me. He’s the complete antithesis of Akira in terms of being attached to ethics norms. And given that many of his previous rivals being converted to the ‘good side’, I’m intrigued about what is going to happen between them.
    I see there is a concrete comedic line in all these banchous. In everyone’s arc there is some kind of parody or irony of certain concept or notion or topic. Iai’s arc is like a parody of refinement and ancient Japanese culture, Nenbutsu’s arc a parody of religion, in Goukiri’s arc the parody topic is focused on knowledge, Shirobara’s arc is a parody of beauty and vanity, and I can’t tell what could be the topic in Hykio’s arc.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 13, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started reading vol 2. The 2 first chapters were predictable but very good, they're my favorites right now, even if the story is more interesting now, I am curious to know how Akira became that strong. Panels are beautiful, comedy is gold too. But the stats are really weird, Akira is very intelligent, Iai too, but Sakura isn't even in the average, I thought it meant she was dumb but the others have similar ratings... Currently at Nenbutsu Banchou arc, I am surprised to see how Oyanana's changed, he is extremely durable too, maybe he'll be a fighter later? I must say I absolutely love Takeshi's moves, boxing moves are always a pleasure to see. It seems Nakaba was already thinking about a fantasy manga before starting this one.

---------- Post added October 11, 2013 at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was October 09, 2013 at 09:08 PM ----------

Nenbutusu Banchou...

Gouriki Banchou arc was cool, that scene with Akira and Tsukimi was priceless. I wanted to see Akira hit her at least one time, they explained he didn't fight seriously because of the hydroblahblahblah but I wanted to see him give her a body blow... He actually never hit a girl, at first I thought Iai banchou was female. I googled that Hyperion constitution too, I think something similar was explained in Reborn.

Shirobara Banchous's defeat was surprising, when I read the worst manga character would appear I was wondering what would happen when he lost, I wasn't disappointed. Hykio Banchou is cool but I don't see how he can be considered as a Banchou with a fighting style like that.
    Last edited by Demonspeed; October 09, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_24.gif

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    I just started reading vol 2. The 2 first chapters were predictable but very good, they're my favorites right now, even if the story is more interesting now, I am curious to know how Akira became that strong. Panels are beautiful, comedy is gold too. But the stats are really weird, Akira is very intelligent, Iai too, but Sakura isn't even in the average, I thought it meant she was dumb but the others have similar ratings... Currently at Nenbutsu Banchou arc, I am surprised to see how Oyanana's changed, he is extremely durable too, maybe he'll be a fighter later? I must say I absolutely love Takeshi's moves, boxing moves are always a pleasure to see. It seems Nakaba was already thinking about a fantasy manga before starting this one.

---------- Post added October 11, 2013 at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was October 09, 2013 at 09:08 PM ----------

Nenbutusu Banchou...

Gouriki Banchou arc was cool, that scene with Akira and Tsukimi was priceless. I wanted to see Akira hit her at least one time, they explained he didn't fight seriously because of the hydroblahblahblah but I wanted to see him give her a body blow... He actually never hit a girl, at first I thought Iai banchou was female. I googled that Hyperion constitution too, I think something similar was explained in Reborn.

Shirobara Banchous's defeat was surprising, when I read the worst manga character would appear I was wondering what would happen when he lost, I wasn't disappointed. Hykio Banchou is cool but I don't see how he can be considered as a Banchou with a fighting style like that.
    I also thought at first sight, Iai was female... At least he is more beautiful than shirobara with all his teeth.

Curiously the text written by the author about the Hyperion constitution also appears in some doubious wiki site about Ranma 1/2: http://ranmafanon.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperion_constitution. I suppose the text was originally written by Sukuki Nakaba.

This scene about children's priority was just hillarious (it goes to the one page rec thread):

Spoiler show
    Last edited by ukimix; October 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the book at the library so I had no choice but to take them.
    The plot is indeed not really complicate except that the bonchou elimination is going extremely fast ; 4.75 in 2 volumes and no rest in between.
    I was surprised at Oyanan rehabilitation in beginning of volume 2. This kind of first chapter character is generally easily forgotten. That makes me think that once the opponents get stronger we should see some of the old Banchou reappear on Akira side. Which one would you like to see again ? Hykio and Gouriki are good candidates for me.
    And I'm not sure what to think of Sakura. So far she just seems to be a girl because the hero needs to have one in shounen. Her sister is more interesting since she brings funny scenes. But well Elizabeth in nanatsu has grown up so how knows ?

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to have you here k-dom!!!

That's a good word for 'cliche': virus. You should be right about the coming back of one of those Banchous. I would go with the pretty one Shirobara, tho he's not much powerful, it seems; I enjoy those ridiculous characters. Isn't that another shounen virus: the protagonist does things in a way that convert his rivals to the god side? Is 4.75 a price or some code for time ? And how much for the volumes?

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

wow, I read your post on NnT thread and also this one, and I mixed the 'virus' topic, lol.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

4.75 because Hikyo story is not completely finished :-)
    btw I'm not sure that the mangaka office omake was scanlated so here is a quick photo I took of it

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Volume 3 is awesome! I'll wait tomorrow to post my thoughts.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading volume 1 and 2 , I would say the arcs were pretty simple and the one not to put much brain into .. The protagonist..Akira Kongou is too overpowered and puny tricks were used to make him went through difficult situations... What Interest me is where Akira Kongou came from and what is his nature... I wonder if he is no human ..

Plot wise also its a simple manga ..not complicated at all and fun to read... However I would like to see at least some progress with types of attacks from Kongou... Only after two volumes it seems like he was using double hammer from ever (reminds me of luffy's armament bazooka ) .. Variation of Banchou's is good .. and I saw in between one advertisement to submit designs for Banchous, looks like the manga was quite reader interactive ... but I wonder if we will get to see a bonchou stronger than the protagonist and if yes will the protagonist character grow in power... Though I think protagonist growing in power is not author's style (as can also be seen in Nanatsu No Taizai) and author works around already established power levels...

starting volume 3 now..

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post

Anyway it seems Akira is also worried about the habits and lack of principles reigning in the current times. So I guess the main difference between Akira and the people from the project is about how to reform and change the people:
    I am not sure that Akira is worried about that ..He only stated the foundation/basis of the 23 district project.... the main motive of his is to stop the 23 district project (don't know for what reason exactly) ..He never showed any interest in reforming of society .. However later in volume 2 he did acknowledge being called Kongou “banchou”..

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure that Akira is worried about that ..He only stated the foundation/basis of the 23 district project.... the main motive of his is to stop the 23 district project (don't know for what reason exactly) ..He never showed any interest in reforming of society .. However later in volume 2 he did acknowledge being called Kongou “banchou”..
    True. He worries when somneone say I'm lazy' or when someone is not following his/her owns principles, and easily can try to help. But he's not reformists, like it happens with the guys from the project. (I wonder about what positive intentions Akira has . I mean we knoe his negative intentions, namely, to destroy the project).

According to the schedule:
    Quote Quote:
    Thread opened for comments on Vol 3 and 4.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 14, 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

well,i am just at the beginning of second volume(haven't had the time to read...*sigh*)..from what i have read,i feel the manga is quite fast paced and quite basic in plot structure...loved the art in some pages though...very surreal(lonely kind) of detailing in some panels...very beautiful...
    MC looks kind of lame to me right now....hope he gets some depth as the story progresses.....only one banchou has been defeated til what i read...and the fight panels were very good in my opinion(i read just one piece ...)....hope it gets more interesting....will read the other comments and review properly as i catchup to the schedule...not impressed till now but it's been only 7-8 chapters...so,let's see..
    the artist reveals and i revel.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

AKira didn't disappoint me, he can hit a girl! And Sasori banchou is my favorite Banchou so far, I like her technique. The extra confirmed my thoughts, she was Akira's strongest opponent, being able to exchange blows with him like that. It seems Sakura is falling for Akira, not that I am surprised but I found it's too brutal, with all that action we can't really see their relation grow, I prefer Tsukimi anyway. The chapter with Akira and that pudding was funny and emotional. And of course I must mention that Rai is a badass.

We finally know who's the big bad and a little more about the Kongo family, now that I think about it I never wondered how he learnt that, I guess I was too focused on the action. The 5 Banchous near the end are the ones drawn by the readers right? I really liked to see the Banchous who were beaten coming for help. This volume is my favorite so far.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    The 5 Banchous near the end are the ones drawn by the readers right? I really liked to see the Banchous who were beaten coming for help. This volume is my favorite so far.
    I can't follow you. You mean this guys? What drawings you refer to?

Spoiler: from Chapter 28 show

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Comparing Nanatsu and Kongou, I can't but conjecture about a possible development intentionally aimed by Susuki. While NnT has a much more complex and deep plot, likely it has less humour than KB, being comedy one central feature of Kongou. With all the references to King Arthur stories and character's names, you can see clearly, the author has searched Arthurian Legends and also some of Catholic doctrine about the seven sins. To use ancient myths or folk tales as reference, and write a story as a variation or as story inspired or partially related to it, should be a good strategy to to enrich and make complex certain plot. So you can but think that he went from a rather simple and light story like Kongou to a bigger try and more complex one like Nanatsu, and that that search about The Arthurian Legends helped him to go ahead with it.

I go in chapter 32.
    Last edited by ukimix; October 17, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

No I am talking about the Five Dark Vows. I remember they asked to draw some Banchous in previous volumes. In vol 3 we can see this. Bakunetsu, Douke and Kabuki Banchous have been "canonized".

I complete volume 4. The introduction of the Banchous in their new school is just hilarious, Touya really shined in this volume with his timidity and his honor.

The series is getting better and better, the fights are crazy and I was surprised a lot of times. Akiyama obviously won via blackmailing and treachery nothing surprising, Kobushi's fight was good but the 2 others were the best. The bishounen from your sig finally made his apparition, never thought it was Nenchaku Banchou... Raionji is here for comic relief now, and that role suits him very well.

The biggest surprise of the volume was Douke Banchou. Two women, respect for Touya, he really is a righteous man, he casually sliced his own eyes, I knew he was honorable but this action completely was over the top.

The fight between the 2 leaders promise to be interesting. I don't see much similarities with KB and NNT but I can't help but Hikyou Banchou makes me think to Ban sometimes.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I expected that some of them would join the good side but not ALL. At least that part was a surprise. Now we have a tournament in the most classical shonen way. The fight were quite entertaining, with some very unexpected twists. But the mangaka doesn't really care about realism, so the bigger the better.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast