Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Claymore Alternative Translation and Clarification

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Claymore Alternative Translation and Clarification

*Be sure to check out the Translators' Academy subforum!*

As many of you may know, there are many Claymore scenes coupled with long and complicated explanations or certain expressions on which different translations may provide different perceptions. This thread is intended to provide more insightful alternatives to the 'mainstream' translations you may come across of, and hopefully clear up queries from some of the more important scenes in Claymore.

Feel free to ask for clarification in any scenes, especially the confusing ones, and/or provide any insights you may have (eg. Japanese speaker, Official tranlations.)

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune
    ☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
    By the way guys, it would be nice if future requests could at least give the Chapter number (or Volume number, whichever works for you) so I can pinpoint the scene faster
    A personal recommendation, with whom you can get in touch here on MH:

God Eye Galatea have been casually providing Chinese---> English spoilers on days the Chinese comes out earlier than the English. Chinese scans are usually reliable and GEG does the English flawless.

gernot is our long-time Claymore translator here at MH. Highly picky about details just how you might like them. I personally find it an admirable skill to be able to translate accurately while retaining the original intended emotions.
    gernot's releases: http://mangahelpers.com/t/gernot/archives/translation/

waychanger is mangastream's translator. Not so active on here to my belief but his work is highly credited. If you're ever lost with certain dialogues, do cross-reference his with gernot's, as this would usually provide you a fuller description of the panel in question.

This post will be updated as necessary.

Note: When counting page number, I count a double-page spread as two pages!

======================================================================
    ======================================================================

Spoiler: biki show

Spoiler: NAMES show

Volume 03
    Spoiler: Chapter 12 show

Volume 05
    Spoiler: Chapter 23 show

Volume 09
    Spoiler: Chapter 46 show

Spoiler: Chapter 50 show

Volume 12
    Spoiler: Chapter 64 show

Volume 14
    Spoiler: Chapter 77 show

Volume 15
    Spoiler: Chapter 79 show

Volume 19
    Spoiler: Chapter 102 show

Volume 20
    Spoiler: Chapter 110 show

Volume 21
    Spoiler: Chapter 114 show

Spoiler: Chapter 115 show

Spoiler: Chapter 117 show

Spoiler: Chapter 118 show

Volume 22
    Spoiler: Chapter 120 show

Spoiler: Chapter 125 show

Volume 23
    Spoiler: Chapter 127 show

Spoiler: Chapter 131 show

Volume 24
    Spoiler: Chapter 137 show

Volume 25
    Spoiler: Chapter 139 show

Spoiler: Chapter 140 show

Spoiler: Chapter 141 show

Spoiler: Chapter 143 show

Spoiler: Chapter 150 show

Spoiler: Chapter 151 show

Spoiler: Chapter 152 show
    Last edited by Utsune; August 05, 2014 at 03:00 PM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore Vol:21 Page 111 Translation

I bought Vol 21 and on page 111 when Roxanne meets Nedine(how its spelt) it says ... :"And in that fight Roxanne Ripped out her own right eye" but the online manga stream chapter says "and in that battle roxanne lost her right eye"

That is vastly different what is accurate ?
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bayuga's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Vol:21 Page 111 Translation

i have the german volume, and it is also translated with "and in that battle roxanne lost her right eye". i think, this is correct.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

It probably says only that she lost her eye. Gernot's translation is very, very accurate. But VIZ version isn't far off either since it's been implied she might have done it to herself because she was copying her targets to extreme.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member littleangel's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actually quite interesting, because it adds much to Roxanne's personality making her more sick and insane!! But after all VIZ is what we have to use at the end, which in this point they made the character more interesting to me. Well done Yagi, Roxanne is a masterpiece (Except for her death).

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleangel View Post
    This is actually quite interesting, because it adds much to Roxanne's personality making her more sick and insane!! But after all VIZ is what we have to use at the end, which in this point they made the character more interesting to me. Well done Yagi, Roxanne is a masterpiece (Except for her death).
    agreed and i think we may get extra about her death.

But so was it already implied that she lost the eye on her own accord
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Japanese one, the phrase is "ねこそぎ失った" (nekosogi ushinatta.) "ushinatta" simply means lost, and "nekosogi" means to be uprooted (as in uprooting a plant). Effectively means "thoroughly/completely/totally lost," but you can't tell whether it implies she did it herself or not :/

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BleachFan2010's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, it does make you wonder how Roxanne lost her right eye and somehow managed to avoid further injury. Becasue in the chapter where it explained this didnt it say that even Neideen was sceptical of how Roxanne lost her eye meaning that they didnt see it happen ?

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Meaning of "Biki"?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched around and my Google-Fu came up empty handed. But could someone please explain what "Biki" means? Or how to interpret the "biki" bubbles in Claymore?

Thank you!!!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BleachFan2010's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meaning of "Biki"?

It's a sound effect used to indicate that a Claymore or Awakened is using their Yoki

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!
    Good question. Haha yes it has been asked before, but it's probably buried deep beneath piles and piles of posts somewhere by now.
    I don't know what 'biki' specifically refers to. But normally "bi" signifies high-pitched sounds, and "ki" is also some kind of screeching noise. So it could either be youki manifesting as a sound, or fleshy sounds which most likely come from their expanding muscles or something. I haven't watched the anime, but I would expect them to give a pretty good interpretation of the sound so you could check it out.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I started assuming this to be the case but could not confirm anywhere. I also just started catching up on claymore again, its been a few years since I read any. Thanks again!

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ACtually biki is a sound effect for theri flesh, muscles, and bones contorting. when they are accessing yoki their bodies are altering and shifting, muscles stretching and contorting, even bones altering shape.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member littleangel's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BleachFan2010 View Post
    Very cool, it does make you wonder how Roxanne lost her right eye and somehow managed to avoid further injury. Becasue in the chapter where it explained this didnt it say that even Neideen was sceptical of how Roxanne lost her eye meaning that they didnt see it happen ?
    But to tell the truth.. we all knew that if she lost her eye, it was on purpose not like it just happened by mistake! So either if she took it out by her own hands or let the AB do the job, it wouldn't matter because she let it happen in both cases. But the one that she did it herself tells that she is not scared to hurt herself at all.. The one with AB at least tells she cant do stuff this extreme by herself but the one where she did it alone tells she is a coco to the bones.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleangel View Post
    But to tell the truth.. we all knew that if she lost her eye, it was on purpose not like it just happened by mistake! So either if she took it out by her own hands or let the AB do the job, it wouldn't matter because she let it happen in both cases. But the one that she did it herself tells that she is not scared to hurt herself at all.. The one with AB at least tells she cant do stuff this extreme by herself but the one where she did it alone tells she is a coco to the bones.
    If she really did remove it herself, then like you said that shows she is willing to do extreme things and even "hurt" herself to get what she wants.
    thats why i think she let herself get eaten by Cassandra, maybe she is slowly absorbing her power/yoki?.

Could anyone get a translation for the line helen said "Ate all of the other one she was fighting" is that a good translation, why would we be told "All"

25. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast