Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shokugeki no Soma 43 Discussion/44 Predictions

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shokugeki no Soma 43 Spoiler Thread

Fantastic chapter, the Soma panel with his sleeves rolled up was best image visual. Otherwise went as expected with the crushing defeat. Oh well maybe the 491st time.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    Neither I understand much of the explanations of the dishes, but it's enough to understand the drawings, and mainly the expressions and faces all characters made when they are eating something. And that just creates a connection in my mind...

It's funny because I like to watch TV shows about food, but not only about how to make a dish but mainly those shows that explain connections between food and culture. I specially like Anthony Burden No reservations. Neither I understand much of the explanations of the food, but I enjoy his sense of humour and, sure, the moment of the verdict on a concrete dish. Now always, some effect I got from this kind of shows is that whets my appetite.

So I wonder why I like this manga, if I can't understand much of the dishes (with the TV show the question would be the same), and I think it's because it has to do with pleasure, namely, a human basic that belongs to all humans, beyond that what one can understands about the preparation of the dishes.

So coming back to the comic, the author does a great job in the representation of the pleasure the characters obtain by tasting a dish. In this page, the details of Tadoroko's experience in tasting Juichirou's dish, can unexpectedly make me salivate... Specially if I haven't eaten
    Shokugeki no Soma remember me very much Hikaru no Go in this subject. We didn't know nothing about Go, but even so we enjoyed the series at fullest because of these feelings, the expressions when they were playing, the characters and stuff, the realtion between the characters and Go. Because of this I think that cooking is important in the story, but it isn't the most important thing. The most imporant thing is the relation between the characters and the cooking. Only a chief can understand completely these explanations, but we still enjoy the series because of this relation between the characters and the dishes. The authors make a very good work in the series for sure.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Marzarret's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears the Jou is more reckless than Souma when it comes to Shokugeki, to think that he will use untested recipes during those matches just proves on how layback he is.
    "Marine Admirals"

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shokugeki no Soma 43 Discussion/44 Predictions

I don't know much about culinary and its aspects, but it's consistently surprising me how much effort the author trying to gives us as many details as possible regarding the dishes. It's quite flattering as well that "tempeh" is being mentioned in this chapter, but I'm not sure if it will fit into a bowl of ramen, mainly because "tempeh" flavor is not as rich as Ramen's broth. Probably it's a good idea to use it as a substitute for gyoza as a side dish for ramen, someday I'll try it out.

And I don't think Jou in anyway is a reckless man, I get an impression he's just being confident with himself. Besides, he has tons of cooking experience, and his knowledge is definitely broader than Souma, so I couldn't blame the man if he doesn't take it "seriously" (which I really doubt).

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Jouichirou did this kind of thing even before when he was in the school. It was Fumio said here. Maybe in the past he was reckless, but now I agree that it's confidence.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

My impression is that in Jouichirou's eyes, in regards to cooking, the duels (sokugeki) are not the most important thing. For instance, experimentation could be more important than winning. He left the academy with out completing the whole process and he thinks that to be a good chef it's important to have some kind of connection with the person for whom you cook. That secret he gave to Souma can't be properly followed in an institution in which the duels and competition are the most important things. He's a very very interesting character. I don't like the word but.. badass character!!!
    Last edited by ukimix; October 13, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2