Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Missing Nakamas

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bellamy's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece The Missing Nakamas

Hey everyone !

I thought of a cool subject, and I'm here to propose it to you.
    Since in every arc of every saga, every new character is announced by the fans to be the next member of the SH crew, I would like to ask you : In your opinion, who sould have join the SH and why ?
    I think we all have at least ONE character that we wanted to be part of the crew and it didn't happened.

For example, if you think Vivi should have jump aboard at the time, said it, and explain why you think so !
    I will personnally regroup my thoughts before showing to you my "list".

Also, it could be a relief for the original spoiler topic for current chapters, so the members could discuss freely about who and why a character should join the crew without going off-topic.

So far, we came with :
    - Vivi
    - Gin
    - Wiper
    - Bon Clay
    - Rayleigh
    - Trafalgar Law
    - Johnny & Yosaku
    - Perona
    - Duval
    - Margaret
    - Hachi
    - Jinbei
    - Kinemon
    - Momonosuke
    - Bellamy
    - Leo/Wicca (a dwarf)
    - Boa Hancock
    - Kohza
    - Paulie
    - Rebecca
    Last edited by Bellamy; October 18, 2013 at 03:42 AM.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Missing Nakamas

Nefetari Vivi is somebody I SERIOUSLY wanted to join the crew. Since at that point, despite her being just as weak as the rest of the "Weak Trio", her will to win was just as powerful as the rest of the SH's. I really accepted her as part of the crew as I watched the Alabasta arc.

Since in terms of joining the crew, some fans have got it confused that strength is a "necessity", when it never has been.
    from Nami & Usopp to Robin & Brooke, both members joined when in reality the crew could have done with significantly stronger members in the situation they were in.

With the will to win that Vivi carried, she could have definitely improved along with the story like Nami and Usopp did.
    She fit in perfectly.
    She's in the same situation as Jinbei though. They're frighteningly similar in that they are both part of the leadership team of important nations of the WG.
    I forget if the fishman island people are still with the WG.
    Last edited by MiyamotoMusashi; October 07, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

3. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I want a dwarf and a giant to join the crew. Hopefully the sunny will be big enough for the giant.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Junaid_Sennin's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two - Gin and Waiper.

Gin, not only because he was strong, but also because he was one of those villains that was actually a good guy inside, but because the whole world treated him like crap he became a bad guy. He just seemed to me like an interesting and sympathetic character and a strong fighter.

Waiper mainly because of how strong he was. I didn't really like him at all to be honest, but he was friggin strong and a tank. He was pretty damn badass.
    Stand back, I'm going to try science

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Good thread. Especially that you're allowing it to include everything in discussion. A lot of people in the OnePiece part of MH think they're mods and cry about going off-topic.

Nefetari Vivi is somebody I SERIOUSLY wanted to join the crew. Since at that point, despite her being just as weak as the rest of the "Weak Trio", her will to win was just as powerful as the rest of the SH's. I really accepted her as part of the crew as I watched the Alabasta arc.

Since in terms of joining the crew, some fans have got it confused that strength is a "necessity", when it never has been.
    from Nami & Usopp to Robin & Brooke, both members joined when in reality the crew could have done with significantly stronger members in the situation they were in.

With the will to win that Vivi carried, she could have definitely improved along with the story like Nami and Usopp did.
    She fit in perfectly.
    She's in the same situation as Jinbei though. They're frighteningly similar in that they are both part of the leadership team of important nations of the WG.
    I forget if the fishman island people are still with the WG.
    Thanks !
    I completely agree with you. I think she had what it got to be a SH. In fact, she was one of them, purely !
    On one other hand, her fighting skill was very... shallow ? I don't know how to said it. Maybe her "yoyo blade" thing could have been really cool once improved by Usopp or even Franky. And also, like you said, it's was unfortunately obvious that she was going to stay because of her status.
    But unlike others, I don't really regret that she didn't go with the Mugiwaras, because thanks to her we had one of the most beautiful and touching scenes of the manga, the Goodbye of Alabasta. And for some weird reasons, I think it would be strange to have "two blue-haired" characters on the crew. XD

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Roarchu's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Bonchan

I actually think I just want him to be alive because he'd probably go live with Ivankov.. Bon is one of my top 10 in OP

another guy that doesn't even fit the timeline that I like is Fisher Tiger

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel conflicted because although I would have loved to see Vivi on board after Alabasta, it would mean that Robin wouldn't join... or even if both did, there would be tensions between the two of them that I'd hate to see. It would also be hard for her to become a pirate because she's a princess of a nation that has ties to the WG. It's too bad that there's no middle ground. I still consider her a nakama though.

If Vivi remained, I think she would provide political information about whatever island nation that the Strawhats go to: she might have provided some details about Dressrosa in this arc for example.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid_Sennin View Post
    I have two - Gin and Waiper.

Gin, not only because he was strong, but also because he was one of those villains that was actually a good guy inside, but because the whole world treated him like crap he became a bad guy. He just seemed to me like an interesting and sympathetic character and a strong fighter.

Waiper mainly because of how strong he was. I didn't really like him at all to be honest, but he was friggin strong and a tank. He was pretty damn badass.
    Gin? Crossover with Bleach (I genuinely don't remember Gin in OP)?

Vivi is one that should have joined the crew. Her fighting style would have been horrible though - at least Usopp has his sniping skills and Nami has the climate control rod.

Another one would have been Bon Bon Clay. He's just perfect for hte crew with his love for friends, self-sacrificing nature, and humor. He could also be useful with his ability to take on others' face, and he can fight. He'd likely be part of the Super Trio or something. I hope he joins the crew.

I'd also have loved to see Rayleigh join, but it wouldn't make sense, sadly. I'd have preferred him be an adviser or something while staying out of fights.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Vivi will join the SH when they will do their second world tour.

Bon Chan is obviously a very good suiter of the SH flag.

But my point is on Law actually. I'm quite sure Luffy will make a strenght demonstration that will leave Law on the ass. And his crew may only be the Bear and the two guys. So... I think they will really JOIN the SH crew after Kaidou's arc. They may not be complete nakamas but more very close allies.

@MJ3 : he's talking about Gin from Sanji arc, the second of Don Krieg.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Gin? Crossover with Bleach (I genuinely don't remember Gin in OP)?
    C'mon... Don Krieg's right-hand man? Who gave Luffy the mask to save him from the poison gas? Knocked Don Krieg unconscious once he lost to Luffy?

Quote Originally Posted by Junaid_Sennin View Post
    Thanks to this thread it highlights a massive trend from Part I of OnePiece.

Luffy and the SH's managed to become extremely close allies with a key member of the Leadership team from almost every village/nation/kingdom they visited to the extent they could have joined the crew:
    Vivi of Alabasta, Wiper of Skypiea, Jinbei of Fishman Island, Margaret(Now a member of the Kuja Pirates) of Amazon Lily, Paulie of Water7, Bon Clay of Newkama etc.

Luffy's influence on the world is becoming similar to Monkey D. Dragon's. Dragon has allied with tens of villages and nations, and Luffy is on his way to doing that I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproumfch View Post
    But my point is on Law actually. I'm quite sure Luffy will make a strenght demonstration that will leave Law on the ass. And his crew may only be the Bear and the two guys. So... I think they will really JOIN the SH crew after Kaidou's arc.
    Not true.
    Law's crew has been shown to have roughly 8-9 members on AmazonLily. There was a good number of people in surgeon uniforms in his crew upset about not being able to visit the Land of Women.
    Chapter 591 when Rayleigh arrives there are about 8 of them with Law. Law has a decent sized crew as expected of a Supernova.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Gin that damn mofo, I'm still waiting for his return into the story, even if it's only a short cameo during the end, not as a crew member, but he got to reappear in this series again!

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Schabrak; October 07, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Airgrimes you are right, but I expect them to be lost during a battle against Kaidou (or else) and making Luffy super angry, wanting to kick the ass from the men who killed his friend's nakamas :O
    We will see ^^
    But yeah Gin is a nice catch for the SH, I'd really love to see him come back during the second tour of the world.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys !
    Glad to see that this thread is well received.
    Here's my list for the moment !

- Johnny & Yozaku : Frankly, those two might be my favorite duo of all time. I mean, I know they were weak, but so was Usopp, and look at him now ! All that matters to me is the will, and those two, besides of being purely hilarious, were also really braves in the end. Plus, they had a cool design ! Let's be honest, Yosaku with his silly pants and hat, Johnny with his tatoo and glasses... The fact that they are two sword fighters, regarding Zoro, could have been an "handicap", but honestly, I wouldn't have mind to see more 2 VS 2 fights with those guys, or even 2 vs 1 big opponent. I recall that they were going well with the Strawhats. I perfectly remember my thoughts back then - a very long time ago -
    Mini Bellamy : Okay, so there are the two new nakamas !

And I was really happy about that.
    I'm very curious to know why Oda didn't make them part of Mugiwaras. And I think I'm the only one to feel that way. XD
    Also, I'm disapointed to see them Two Years Later only as simple "fishers".

- Wiper : Seriously, can one guy be as badass, simply by being half-naked with an iroquoise ? This character was pure awesomeness. His character design is amazing. His fighting skill was... man. What a fighter ! He had ABSOLUTELY everything to be one hell of a SH. Except a dream to sail the sea. This is to me THE character that I truly miss and who SHOULD HAVE BEEN WITHOUT QUESTIONS part of the Strawhats.
    I strongly disapprove the lack of ambition of Oda about Wiper. How cool would that have been to have a nakama from the sky, with dials, a bazooka, wings, and strong as hell over the top.
    I just can picture him wandering around in the above world, asking the others "what the hell is that ?" all grumpy and whith his pissed off look.

- Perona : Everyone is complaining about the ratio women/men aboard. Personnaly, I don't care at all. But Perona is one of those girls that makes you want to see her become a nakama. She has the look, she has the power, which could have been hilarious as well aboard than during fights... Too bad Oda didn't took the time to developp her a little more.

- Duval : Lmfao. This guy... I can't get enough of his winks and shit. I mean, his backstory was hilarious and touching, he's handsome now, and funny as hell... And strong ! I mean, the guy litteraly fight ONE YEAR for the Sunny-Go. Along with Hachi and Bartholomew, of course, but still... ! I know there wasn't any chance for him to join, but whatever. I love Duval.

- Margaret : THAT'S A DAMN FINE WOMAN. Same as Perona. But she had a bow and arrows, was skilled, cool design of a sexy amazon, link with Boa Hancock... What do you want else, Oda ? You should have digging her a bit more. I think the period of the meeting was just bad timing. No way that Luffy could recruit somebody during Ace's arc. Otherwise, she could have been our new nakama we seeking for.

- Hachi / Jinbei / Brand new Fishman : We certainly all want a fishman aboard. For me, it was Hachi at the time. His design was a little "meh", but I can definitely see it's a good guy. He was sometimes funny, often brave enough, and devoted to the Strawhats. I think Oda should have made him less weaker. I mean, an octopus with eight arms, it could have been very interesting for a brawler character, just for that ! Imagine that guy as an helmsman !

Concerning Jinbei, I like him, he's strong for sure, design not bad, but I don't know... Like Vivi, I can't really see him joining, and not even for the exact same reasons. I just think that, if Oda would have want him aboard, he would have made him say "yes" right away and voilà, end of the story ! Instead, we got a poor excuse of "maybe later, I have important stuff to do". So, for me, he will not join the SH.

What I was expecting with all my heart was a brawler fishman fighter, shark type maybe - I know Oda would have been inventive on that - as strong as Zoro but in his own element : Fishman Karaté. I can just picture a Kisame with red hair, dressed like a boxer with coral armor on his shoulders, knees and all. With a strong personnality, a la Fisher Tiger, hating on humans but changing his mind thanks to SH intervention, and a dream of establish peace between races. Even more amazing : BAM, Tiger's son !
    And now, all my hopes are gone. XD
    God dang it.

- Kinemon : He's just cool, and honestly, I'm used to him being with the crew. I don't know if he will leave at Wano, maybe he will, but I find him really funny and he managed to grow into me. His DF is a little bit meh, depending on what you seek for a SH... but still useful eventually. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that he is a swordsman. After Brook, I don't really want to see another sword fighter coming... Even one who can cut fire. I just feel that he will serve Zoro the purpose to learn this technique... And that's a bit of a shame. Because, yeah, Samurai might have been a good idea... if Zoro wasn't here. A Knight, for example, would have been more relevant, original, new and welcome, imho.

- Bellamy : Depending of what happens during this arc, I can see him joining for a lot of reasons ; but on one other hand, it's more likely to see him go with Law... Nevertheless, I think that someone said somewhere a thing about Oda saying that the 10th nakama will be a former vilain... Sorry for my lack of sources though !
    Anyway. I love the new Bellamy, I think everyone does because he changed. And it would be very cool to see the reactions of Zoro and Nami about him. Unfortunately, I don't think Oda will show us his past or give him a "new dream"... unless he sacrifices himself for Luffy or another SH, obviously against the DD Family.
    I don't know. I simply think he's going well with he crew, now. His crazy personnality, tenacity, experience, might be a real plus. I can even imagine some crazy techniques if Luffy and Bellamy combine their powers !
    Last edited by Bellamy; October 08, 2013 at 06:48 AM.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ace4's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice summary Bellamy although I think you wanted the hyena to join so that your own name would be cooler^^

- Johnny and Yosaku would have been nice but then Oda would always have had to add team opponents in every arc. I don't mind them beeing swordfighters but at that time the crew would have grown to fast.

- Wiper would have been my choice but strangely nobody from Skypiea joined them. When he was with Zorro & co saying that Enel will be the one defeated. http://www.mangareader.net/103-2380-...apter-273.html But his dream was to free his country so it would have been an ass pull to have him join the SH to explore the blue seas. In the end everybody was happy that Enel was gone and didn't even think about becoming a pirate.^^

- Perona would have been troublesome for Oda since her Hax power would always need someone like usopp fighting her. And imo it's better she didn't join.

- Duval couldn't join because he had his own crew and he was a simple criminal unlike the strawhats.

- Margaret: If Oda wanted her to join he could have said that she's tasked with guarding him or something. Her Haki would have made her an useful asset even after the time skip but Oda decided against it.

- Jinbei is the Fishman the best suited to join them because he is strong and unique. Hachan would be the just to gather food in the sea with his level. I still think that Jinbei will join.

- Kinemon has been portrayed as a very good fit in to the SH. His power is useful for every future island and they need new clothes every island. Also his sword style is a good addition to Brooks ice style. Nevertheless I think that he will either return home with his kid and Kanjuro or maybe he will feel so indebted to the SH that he will travel with. Maybe Kanjuro will join but that would be farfetched thinking.

- Bellamy has changed and Luffy has forgiven him which makes it possible that he will join them (similar to Robin as a Ex-Villain). It might happen because his Idol gets raped in this Arc and he sees that the StrawHats are the Future. But his vicious style of fighting is quite unsimilar to the Strawhats. I think he will be Friendzoned xD

I think that Law might end up beeing a SH. Or he will die and his crew will want to join SH but I can't imagine that the Crew gets to many members at once. Rebecca wants to live with the Toy Soldier so they are both out. Leo might be a funny addition for just beeing a Dwarf and they somehow need a new Member who's totally different. Maybe his role in the crew could be spy or thief but these functions are done by Robin and Nami already.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
    Nice summary Bellamy although I think you wanted the hyena to join so that your own name would be cooler^^

- Kinemon has been portrayed as a very good fit in to the SH. His power is useful for every future island and they need new clothes every island. Also his sword style is a good addition to Brooks ice style. Nevertheless I think that he will either return home with his kid and Kanjuro or maybe he will feel so indebted to the SH that he will travel with. Maybe Kanjuro will join but that would be farfetched thinking.

I think that Law might end up beeing a SH. Or he will die and his crew will want to join SH but I can't imagine that the Crew gets to many members at once. Rebecca wants to live with the Toy Soldier so they are both out. Leo might be a funny addition for just beeing a Dwarf and they somehow need a new Member who's totally different. Maybe his role in the crew could be spy or thief but these functions are done by Robin and Nami already.
    Thanks man !

What's funny about both Kinemon and Law is that Oda actually took the time to put both of them in great illustrations.

http://www.volonte-d.com/galeries/ga...oupenewage.jpg
    Here, we can see the alliance. It is very cool that he did that illustration. However, what I found strange - and I know it might sounds farfetched - that he included Kinemon. (and his son) To me, it's like an attempt to make us used to him, kind of. I don't remember Luffy's inviting him during Punk Hazard, so correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.volonte-d.com/galeries/ga...upepiscine.jpg
    Here, we can see only Law and Kinemon. Once again, it might sounds far-fetched but I find very weird that Oda included them. I think it's impossible that Kinemon join though, because of Momonosuke. It would be absolutely reckless to go on such a dangerous adventure with a child. But to see them in two different illustrations usually strictly reserved to the SH makes me wonder. (remember of Vivi too, when she was part of the adventure, she was integrated in illustrations, so we can be more used to her and all, I believe)

Eventually, I think that Kinemon will stay just until Wano, and would want to pay his debts to the crew by staying with her, I would say. But he can't give up and Momonosuke. Maybe he will give the guard to Kanjuro, or maybe it is indeed Kanjuro who will join.

A dwarf would be a nice addition, yes. But for now, I don't want Leo to join yet. I don't know, he gives me too much of a "Fairy Tail feeling" if you know what I mean. Although, I would be OK with a Mini-Wiper like. XD

One thing is sure though, either it's gonna be a request to join (like Robin), or like always, Luffy will want the person to join so bad that he will ask and even insist. (like he did for all others SH)

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast