Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Power of Command

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Power of Command

Really good theories out there. I actually went back and reread chapter 46 when Eren and Ymir first woke up after being captured. And noticed some interesting things. For one Eren had the gills around his eyes and anytime Eren yelled at RB they would get intimidated. Also the titans were exhibiting very odd behavior, a few of the titans were just laying down and watching them not being aggressive at all, and another titan was hiding behind a try almost stalking and waiting for something to happen. I wonder if their behavior has anything to do with Eren.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MajiinX View Post
    Really good theories out there. I actually went back and reread chapter 46 when Eren and Ymir first woke up after being captured. And noticed some interesting things. For one Eren had the gills around his eyes and anytime Eren yelled at RB they would get intimidated. Also the titans were exhibiting very odd behavior, a few of the titans were just laying down and watching them not being aggressive at all, and another titan was hiding behind a try almost stalking and waiting for something to happen. I wonder if their behavior has anything to do with Eren.
    Well, maybe Eren affected them unconsciously?
    Like "Keeping his emotions in check"?
    It spread to the others and that´s why they just relaxed around the tree.
    They kept themselves in check.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    I don't think Reiner and Bertolt are specifically hostile toward Eren except maybe in his mind. He's designating the target by shouting at the ones he wants dead.
    Well, not particularly 'hostile,' but certain kinds of emotions/ thoughts towards Eren. "Targeting" Eren would be a good description.

Also, I don't think his "Power" has ever been activated as far as we have seen. Every time it is activated, the other shifters in the vicinity would get some sort of signal, and we've only started seeing that in this recent Chapter (50).

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    Also, I don't think his "Power" has ever been activated as far as we have seen. Every time it is activated, the other shifters in the vicinity would get some sort of signal, and we've only started seeing that in this recent Chapter (50).
    Now keep in mind I'm not 100% convinced he was able to use the "power" before either, but just to play devil's advocate for the validity of that possibility, the only times I can think of before this that we have to go by (i.e. that other sentient titans were around),

1) Eren himself was mindless (Trost)
    2) We didn't get the other titan's POV (forest/Stohess with Annie)
    3) Eren was able to scream (twice), but he was *interrupted* by blows so severe they put holes in his head (by Reiner in ch 42 or 43)

Say Reiner, Bert, and Annie suspected there was something special about him from the get-go, but again, he was mindless at the time and they couldn't be sure. This was their moment of confirmation.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkLordOfKichiku's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    But keep in mind that if the other shifters had been shown reacting before, it'd have revealed who the Shifters were far earlier. Remember, when it was time for everyone to choose whether to join the Scouting Legion or not, there were five people whose POV we didn't see. That's right, what RBAY really "thinks" has only become available to us recently - we didn't see things from their POV at all during, say, the Battle of Trost...

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Now keep in mind I'm not 100% convinced he was able to use the "power" before either, but just to play devil's advocate for the validity of that possibility, the only times I can think of before this that we have to go by (i.e. that other sentient titans were around),

1) Eren himself was mindless (Trost)
    2) We didn't get the other titan's POV (forest/Stohess with Annie)
    3) Eren was able to scream (twice), but he was *interrupted* by blows so severe they put holes in his head (by Reiner in ch 42 or 43)

Say Reiner, Bert, and Annie suspected there was something special about him from the get-go, but again, he was mindless at the time and they couldn't be sure. This was their moment of confirmation.
    I think I'll go for the 'emotion-related' explanation for now.

If shifters require some kind of 'will' to activate their titan form, then perhaps Eren x Mikasa conversation triggers some kind of emotion in Eren ---> activating his 'special powers.' Good thing to consider is, Eren's desire to kill/destroy ---> vs. titan mob, vs. Annie, vs. Reiner (no ability activated?) Eren's desire to protect ---> vs. smiling Titan (protect Mikasa <--- hinted on the first page of Ch50), vs. Reiner (protect Scouting Legion, telling them to stay away.)

However, I must counter myself with the idea that "desire to protect" is not something Reiner would consider dangerous, but it's the closest thing I can think of right now.

I'm sure if he did have some form of ability activated back in the forest/Stohess, we would have seen a panel-ful of biribiri with Annie, or at least a hella lot "!!!!!" with her surprised titan face. Same with vs. RB. (Unlike DBZ, screaming does not grant you SSJ3 haha.)

I think the appearance of Eren is an important factor RBA consider. Or at least for now, that's the only thing we have been shown. There's also the physical features of Eren that they could have recognised. Also, from the outset I find it contradictory their foremost mission is to wipe out humanity in the Walls. I can understand by wiping out humanity, a formerly dangerous but dead Eren would not be able to use it. But I don't understand why they didn't kill Eren there and then when they captured him, because maybe their Plan B should override Plan A in case they think they have located the "coordinate." Or maybe they think Eren would join their side. It ultimately means Eren alive is of better use to them. The term "coordinate" makes me think as if there is something inside Eren that can be extracted, but I don't see how Christa would know about extraction of that something as Reiner and Bert guess. Or maybe what Christa knows is the form/shape the "coordinate" comes in.

Anyways, a whole load of guessed from me, there're just too many possibilities as far as I can see. I'm sure Armin or Hanji will give us a reliable guess that we can deduce better from pretty soon lol.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Oh and also, I'm just guessing here: the range of his 'special power' is not known, but it doesn't seem the titan mob run towards him in particular. There are many other ones in the vicinity doing their own stuff. We also don't know if he could specifically affect one particular titan, or if he couldn't control the magnitude of his 'power.' It might be that RBA are out of range from his 'power.' We know the 7 titan in the basement of the gas-refill station do not notice Eren at all.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, emotion is definitely involved no matter what way it goes. Regardless of when the power was activated, this would be where the "it's better to fight (with the intention) to protect than (to seek) to kill in vengeance"-type of theme would tend to fit.

Yes, it would be better if there had been some early signalling in the forest, but there doesn't have to have been. Also, he's seen crying out both times he activates the power in this chapter, and the title of the chapter is shout/cry, so I'd think the action of doing so (which he would obviously do while emotional) is the trigger. But like when he doesn't have a strong sense of purpose toward doing something and can't transform, he could shout all he wanted and wouldn't accomplish anything if his will wasn't behind it.

There's definitely a limited range. Assuming he'd activated the power in Trost, I don't know if it's because those titans (in the supply storehouse) couldn't hear him that they couldn't react, or if factors like being a certain distance away, or being behind a wall made a difference. You're right, there is potential that the shifters could be affected as well. That may even be part of why Ymir went to join the others.

Here's a thought: I wonder if a biological extract from the beast titan itself was in the injection Grisha gave Eren?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xxCagedRiotxx View Post
    Im interested to see how things unfold. Hopefully, its less mindless action and more development. Because I would have much preferred to see R&B return to their village with Eren and perhaps shed some insight on who they're working with and what their goals are.
    Yeah, I had hoped that R&B would have succeeded in kidnapping Erin just to find out what is really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by badluckartist View Post

Might be part of it, but it looks like Ymir is still running the long gambit. "With a power like that, life in the walls might be possible" doesn't really sound like she's afraid of anything, just weighing out what is the best option. If I were to guess, it's that she's going with RB to distract their faction from attacking the Walls that Christa lives at. I'm 99% positive there are numerous 'Wall cities' dotted around the world that don't know about each other. I wouldn't doubt it if we saw her with RB attacking an unrelated Wall city with a totally different population of people. Maybe the mystical orient? Would be cool if that Asian titan wasn't just a cameo but real foreshadowing.
    It just seems really odd that Yimir would leave Krista, who she specifically sought out as an insurance policy to keep from being killed by R&B's organization. And she could at least seek refuge with the Scouting Legion. Why give up her best chance at survival (Krista) and go willingly with R&B?

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune
    That's something I hadn't considered. Using his power may be a tactical liability if it alerts other shifters in the area and gives away his location.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So uh... these two scenes are awkwardly similar: Eren in the latest chapter and Mikasa way at the beginning where Eren conveniently showed up and was first seen attacking other titans.

RB have mentioned several times not being able to find what they were looking for, despite finding Eren and Christa. Mikasa was one of the people 'saved by Grisha' years before the story... Not saying she for sure has the 'shout' ability, but it's an awfully similar chain of events. Both involved an emotional upheaval, a shout, killing intent despite utter helplessness, and the sudden changing of allegiance of nearby titan(s). Novel motif, if anything.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Eren can control shifters but I do believe he is able to assert dominance over them similar to how an Alpha wolf asserts dominance over his pack. I think he could potentially compel them through fear an intimidation which is probably why they didn't pursue and also probably why Ymir chose to not go with them for fear of Erens power.

Its also going to be interesting to see how the warriors react, will they try to infiltrate, stay away or goto all out war now or will mankind make its first move?

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner quoux's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am almost completely certain that he cannot control Titan shifters or else bertholdt and Reiner would have attacked the smiling Titan. The only explanation against this is "he's not powerful enough" but even still, extend abilities have always been strong, just not efficiently reliable. That is to say, it's not like his Titan form could double its punching power; a punch is a punch. Reasons as to why he can't control shifters could vary. I believe it's because they are sentient and have intelligent choice over their own actions where as other titans are not fully sentient, and are therefore more susceptible to erens power.

I'm also fairly certain there is a limit to his range or else every Titan in the world would have rushed in to attack. Only the group that was there was sent to attack. The only way to disprove this is if the next chapter shows more titans running in.

I don't believe erens power has a specification such as "defense". I think, like all other Titan powers, it relies on his willpower. That mean offense, defense, waiting tables, whatever floats your boat. Although seeing as titans main goal seems to be "eat/kill", I do believe that waiting tables is a bit far fetched.

By worst person, it could be a couple things. It could be that Eren is on the wrong side as RBA and therefor he's bad, or that Eren has very sporadic willpower rather than someone who is more clear headed, such as beast Titan."8

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember when Hannes was describing how Mikasa, Armin, and Eren all have what it takes to survive? What did he say about Eren? The guy has fierce willpower, but he's still going to be susceptible to doubt or conflicted emotions (as with Annie) at times, like anyone else. In addition to whatever else they might also have issue with, I think a major problem is that he's such a loose cannon, he's liable to act without thinking and/or set that powerful will of his to terrible use due to his ignorance of what's really going on. Because his strength of will is probably going to fuel this power to its maximum capability, yet his lack of wisdom/knowledge/restraint will lead him to use it for the wrong ends. I'm I'm right, Reiner's probably basing this on their titan fight (remember he was even defeated and had to call out to Bert), and grappling in the trees while Eren was still healing his hands-- he knows how tenacious the guy can be.

In chapter 46, Ymir cautioned Eren that he'd be making a big mistake if he thought killing the other two would solve all of his problems. I think that's a huge hint. Sounds like killing them would either (a) bring worse enemies into their midst, (b) stop them from preventing a massive catastrophe of some kind, or (c) both. I'm inclined toward either (b) or (c) here, myself. Reiner, Bert, and Ymir had vague things to say about a real enemy, and they didn't seem to want to kill Eren even though they already suspected he might be (the possessor of) the coordinate, but they also didn't feel they could explain these things to Eren yet. Seems either there's some reason they have to be outside the walls to explain, or there's something Eren needs to see in order to understand. Something at their hometown that must be seen to be believed, and even Eren would believe it. (For those of us considering time leap theory, perhaps it could be a glimpse into an apocalyptic future...)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    It just seems really odd that Yimir would leave Krista, who she specifically sought out as an insurance policy to keep from being killed by R&B's organization. And she could at least seek refuge with the Scouting Legion. Why give up her best chance at survival (Krista) and go willingly with R&B?
    I thought it was pretty obvious she was lying about that whole 'taking Christa to the Warriors as insurance' thing. Christa even outright accuses her of lying about it in this last chapter and she says nothing to it. Ymir's #1 priority seems to be is Christa living and taking up her real name. At first she thought the best way would be to take Christa to the Warrior's village, but Eren's shout ability made her change her mind with the thought 'so life might not die out in the walls after all'. It's apparent that Ymir was 100% certain the Wall civilization would be wiped out regardless of anybody's actions, just as RBA are.

As for Ymir herself? Look at how they treated Eren. The Legion only just *barely* took Eren out from under the government police force, who would likely have killed him. Unless the Warriors really do feed shifters to titans to make more loyal shifters, Ymir is way more safe at their village than she is within the Walls.

Why Ymir is so obsessed with making Christa live / take her true name is anybody's guess, but I'm guessing 1/ they're in the lovey-wove with each other (DAWWWWW), and 2/ there is HUGE significance behind Wall royalty we have yet to know about.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badluckartist View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious she was lying about that whole 'taking Christa to the Warriors as insurance' thing. Christa even outright accuses her of lying about it in this last chapter and she says nothing to it. Ymir's #1 priority seems to be is Christa living and taking up her real name. At first she thought the best way would be to take Christa to the Warrior's village, but Eren's shout ability made her change her mind with the thought 'so life might not die out in the walls after all'. It's apparent that Ymir was 100% certain the Wall civilization would be wiped out regardless of anybody's actions, just as RBA are.

As for Ymir herself? Look at how they treated Eren. The Legion only just *barely* took Eren out from under the government police force, who would likely have killed him. Unless the Warriors really do feed shifters to titans to make more loyal shifters, Ymir is way more safe at their village than she is within the Walls.

Why Ymir is so obsessed with making Christa live / take her true name is anybody's guess, but I'm guessing 1/ they're in the lovey-wove with each other (DAWWWWW), and 2/ there is HUGE significance behind Wall royalty we have yet to know about.
    I don't think it was 100% a lie. Before they even kidnapped Krista Yimir mentioned being devoured by the "warriors" and Reiner said he couldn't guarantee her safety. This is why I assume she sought out Krista to begin with, to prevent herself from being killed by the warriors. I think she only lied about the specific circumstances of how she would be killed, since she said R&B were holding her hostage and implied they would kill her on the spot. With Yimir things are always cloaked in half-truths and unclear motivation it seems. :P

I guess you do have a point about her not trusting how the humans would treat her after Eren just barely got away from being dissected by the Military Police. I guess she could have been concerned that they'd interrogate her or hold her prisoner. But still, I wonder how she's going to avoid being devoured by the warriors as she said.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I don't think it was 100% a lie. Before they even kidnapped Krista Yimir mentioned being devoured by the "warriors" and Reiner said he couldn't guarantee her safety. This is why I assume she sought out Krista to begin with, to prevent herself from being killed by the warriors. I think she only lied about the specific circumstances of how she would be killed, since she said R&B were holding her hostage and implied they would kill her on the spot. With Yimir things are always cloaked in half-truths and unclear motivation it seems. :P

I guess you do have a point about her not trusting how the humans would treat her after Eren just barely got away from being dissected by the Military Police. I guess she could have been concerned that they'd interrogate her or hold her prisoner. But still, I wonder how she's going to avoid being devoured by the warriors as she said.
    Where did she say she'd be devoured?? I feel silly for not remembering an important detail like that. Ymir's my favorite character :O

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast