Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Power of Command

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Power of Command

I feel kinda bad too since she's one of my faves and I also forgot, but she said it in 47 I believe. It was when she was threatening Bertolt and Reiner about taking Eren from them and running away back to the Scouting Legion's side because this was going to be her last chance to see Historia and she can't trust them not to just let her get eaten when she reaches their home town if they leave her behind with the promise to return at a "better" time. So Sigma has a bit of a point there, but still I think Historia is Ymir's top priority if you take everything into consideration.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are reading into it way too much. Reiner and Bert said they couldn't guarantee her safety meaning beyond the walls everyone is in danger. Look how easily the armored titan was overwhelmed by a group of regular titans, not to mention Bert's transformation is useless for anything but kicking down gates.

Ymir made up the bit about needing Historia to save herself because she knows how obsessed Historia is about selfless acts, and it would be the easiest way to get her to come along without further explanation. Ymir also loves to come off as selfish and cruel and would never openly admit to Historia that she wanted to her to come along because she cared for her.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astartes View Post
    I think you guys are reading into it way too much. Reiner and Bert said they couldn't guarantee her safety meaning beyond the walls everyone is in danger. Look how easily the armored titan was overwhelmed by a group of regular titans, not to mention Bert's transformation is useless for anything but kicking down gates.

Ymir made up the bit about needing Historia to save herself because she knows how obsessed Historia is about selfless acts, and it would be the easiest way to get her to come along without further explanation. Ymir also loves to come off as selfish and cruel and would never openly admit to Historia that she wanted to her to come along because she cared for her.
    Ymir is a complex character. Yes, her primary motivation is to protect Historia, or Reiner himself wouldn't have practically made a speech about it to Bert. However, Historia wasn't around when Ymir made her first comments about how she might be killed by the people of Bert and Reiner's village, in the midst of an argument with them. (She had also said before that that she couldn't trust them.) I don't think she was trying to protect some "image" of herself at the time, she was too upset to be doing that. Considering the fact she's repeated similar comments for two different audiences, there's probably some truth to what she said there. The only thing is that she's surely leaving important details out. For example, apparently, the inside of the walls is going to become "hell" soon (I call numerous humans spontaneously going titan all at once, all over the walled society). I think rather than lying about herself being in danger, she's keeping her mouth shut about what's going to happen WITHIN the walls because she doesn't want Historia to rush into the middle of that and get herself killed. Right now she's counting on Eren to protect Historia, and that's the only reason she left her behind.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    Ymir is a complex character. Yes, her primary motivation is to protect Historia, or Reiner himself wouldn't have practically made a speech about it to Bert. However, Historia wasn't around when Ymir made her first comments about how she might be killed by the people of Bert and Reiner's village, in the midst of an argument with them. (She had also said before that that she couldn't trust them.) I don't think she was trying to protect some "image" of herself at the time, she was too upset to be doing that. Considering the fact she's repeated similar comments for two different audiences, there's probably some truth to what she said there. The only thing is that she's surely leaving important details out. For example, apparently, the inside of the walls is going to become "hell" soon (I call numerous humans spontaneously going titan all at once, all over the walled society). I think rather than lying about herself being in danger, she's keeping her mouth shut about what's going to happen WITHIN the walls because she doesn't want Historia to rush into the middle of that and get herself killed. Right now she's counting on Eren to protect Historia, and that's the only reason she left her behind.
    I think the strongest bit of evidence that Yimir really is concerned about being killed by R&B's organization is the fact that she went to the trouble of tracking down Historia in the first place. Her goal now may be to protect Historia but originally I'm sure she just wanted to use Historia as a means of protection.

Honestly I'm not sure what she was thinking when she left Historia behind. Sure Eren can protect her now but I think it would have made more logical sense for Yimir to go back with her instead of siding with R&B, since their group apparently want her dead. Or maybe she didn't go back with R&B and is hiding out in the woods some where. Or maybe she went back to the titans who worship her. Who knows.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It was clear to me even before chapter 50 (where she waffles about who to join up with) that if she wanted to, Ymir still had the choice to go to either side, so I think ultimately she's making sure there's a future for Historia. Working with Reiner (as much as she doesn't want to) seems to open up a possibility of making that happen, based on what he said to her during Eren's little nap.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

It was clear to me even before chapter 50 (where she waffles about who to join up with) that if she wanted to, Ymir still had the choice to go to either side, so I think ultimately she's making sure there's a future for Historia. Working with Reiner (as much as she doesn't want to) seems to open up a possibility of making that happen, based on what he said to her during Eren's little nap.
    Maybe so but separating from History (allegedly the only chance she has to keep the other "warriors" from eating her) to go work with the faction that apparently wants her dead seems absurd. I'm guessing there is more to the situation than meets the eye and obviously Yimir didn't tell the full truth about it.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Maybe so but separating from History (allegedly the only chance she has to keep the other "warriors" from eating her) to go work with the faction that apparently wants her dead seems absurd. I'm guessing there is more to the situation than meets the eye and obviously Yimir didn't tell the full truth about it.
    Yes, I think there is some other bargaining chip involved. Probably just that she'll swear to help them from now on or something like that. She was even telling Historia the titans aren't so bad and all that.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

She was even telling Historia the titans aren't so bad and all that.
    lol, I figured that was just Yimir being her typical sarcastic self.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3