Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: One sentence I'm having trouble with.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ComradeLewis's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One sentence I'm having trouble with.

敵のパーツを外すとパーツ付属のオプション装備の段数が最大数の10%回復する

I understand the majority of the sentence, however the 段数 part is messing me up. My gut tells me it is talking about ammo, but no matter where I look -online or in multiple dictionaries- it refers to steps, levels or grades.

Right now I have:
    "Recover 10% of maximum ammo of the equipped Option Equipment when disconnecting an enemy's part."

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One sentence I'm having trouble with.

Running a google image search is one of the faster, but at times, most inaccurate ways to check the meaning of a word. In your case, I found various stairs, the gears of a bike, graphs and growing tomatoes. All of those images support http://www.alc.co.jp 's definition of 段数 as 'stages', or the number of steps. Breaking the kanji apart, you see 段 which appears in 'staircase' (階段), followed by 数, which is used in the word 'number' (数) and 'math'/'study of numbers' (数学). Ammunition is 単数.

Just make sure you remember that 最大数, 'limit', is also a part of the sentence
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like something from a game to me lol. 段数 is level anyway, and I can see you've treated it 弾数. Do you have more context? What's this "enemy part?"

From the outset, it really does look like a typo. I don't see how you can recover 10% (quantity-wise) of the maximum level of something...

Btw I'm also a bit confused as to whether the first "part" = the second "part." If they were both referring to the same enemy part, then the 'ammo' recovered is applied to that "part?" If you get me...

Yeah, so need more context haha.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ComradeLewis's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. For some reason I never considered that it might be a typo. It turns out that both characters can be typed as "dan," so my instincts were correct about it talking about ammo. Unfortunately, when dealing with games, context isn't always available.

New Reply