Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 333

Thread: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction

  1. #316
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    I really don't see luffy allying with anyone since roger didn't as we saw during the Edd war.


    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

  2. #317
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    I really don't see luffy allying with anyone since roger didn't as we saw during the Edd war.
    Roger didn't have to wage a war against WG. Also, there's weren't that many pirates/pirate alliances before. Roger started the Age of Pirates. Something to think about man.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #318
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    I really don't see luffy allying with anyone since roger didn't as we saw during the Edd war.
    You don't see the whole Dressrosa arc and well... the entire manga as a preperation with bonds and alliances since the start of the series? It's not something that may happen or not, it's unstoppable and will have to happen at the end of the series.

    Gol isn't Luffy and neither is reverse, there are parallels betweem those characters, their attitude, but it would be deadly dull if their end would be similar too. Luffy will have to win where Roger failed at, Luffy will be more than Roger ever was if the series will have a positive ending.

    OP, a series about failed fathers.
    Last edited by Schabrak; October 27, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #319
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    27,424
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    I really don't see luffy allying with anyone since roger didn't as we saw during the Edd war.
    Luffy does not have to do the exact same things Roger did. It's just a loose parallel meant to reinforce that Luffy is Roger's spiritual successor. The fact is that Luffy already has formed an alliance with another pirate, that bridge has been crossed. Even if his alliance with Law is temporary, Luffy has already shown that he is willing to form alliances with like minded pirates. His alliance with Law will, of course, probably be permanent. This is One Piece, friendship is central to the story. New friends are not made just to be cast aside. Law won't be any different. Either way, Luffy already has formed an alliance, and he probably will again in the future.

  7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  8. #320
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    At miles away from you...:p
    Country
    Romania
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by renders View Post
    One Piece is my favorite shounen and all but I feel like every arc kinda does the same thing
    they get to a new place,you get introduced to that place,the opressed ppl,the villain/s,new allies,etc
    then they take that place and flip it upside down
    That is how One Piece was build from the beginning . In the future things won't change either since the story is about Luffy and his adventures in his seek to become the PK
    Actually that's what I find enjoyful about this manga . I love seeing the beautiful world Oda is always drawing for us as well as the unique characters.

  9. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #321
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    OP, a series about failed fathers.
    It is not. It's about the meaning of friendship and tragic lives of familiesi in addition to some major topics of civilizations. The only father who failed his family was Yasopp who abandoned his wife. That part was, however, significantly downplayed.

    By the way, the biggest issue - and the only one I have - with alliances is the highly increased number of protagonists which prevents proper character development of the SH crew and their enemies. If Oda wishes he can add another 5-10 (allied) members but then I expect him to add another 5 years of chapters to the already implicitly announced timespan.

    Apart from that, the SH had in every arc many allies so it isn't that special if Oda holds onto a few for a bit longer and at the same time including some strategic behavior during their adventures.
    Last edited by yieps; October 27, 2013 at 01:35 PM.

  11. #322
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,210
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by yieps View Post
    It is not. It's about the meaning of friendship and tragic lives of familiesi in addition to some major topics of civilizations. The only father who failed his family was Yasopp who abandoned his wife. That part was, however, significantly downplayed.
    Well Luffy's father obviously left him and Franky's dad was a pirate who left him at Water 7. Other fathers weren't even mentioned. Roger didn't have much choice, but I guess it can still be considered a fail. You get the drift, even if Schabrak was half joking.

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  12. #323
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by yieps View Post
    It is not. It's about the meaning of friendship and tragic lives of familiesi in addition to some major topics of civilizations. The only father who failed his family was Yasopp who abandoned his wife. That part was, however, significantly downplayed.

    By the way, the biggest issue - and the only one I have - with alliances is the highly increased number of protagonists which prevents proper character development of the SH crew and their enemies. If Oda wishes he can add another 5-10 (allied) members but then I expect him to add another 5 years of chapters to the already implicitly announced timespan.

    Apart from that, the SH had in every arc many allies so it isn't that special if Oda holds onto a few for a bit longer and at the same time including some strategic behavior during their adventures.
    That was partly a joke, but to say that Gol and Dragon didn't fail as father figures or fathers would be paradoxon. They literally were never there for their children/heirs, Luffy didn't even knew who his father was, Ace despised his father for more than just being not there for him. Gol and Dragon are as much fathers for those two as much as we will have colonized Mars untill 2014, not a particle.

    Yeah I get that it's a world where the men go to sea, I honestly wouldn't want many female officers due to the chance of rape, especially in the Grandline or worse New World, but many "fathers" of OP did chose to disappear and never come back. Yassop and remorse? Never seen a tiny bit of that, nor from Dragon or Gol. Of course someone had to take care of Ace since he tortured his "loved" wife throughout months with the long pregnancy, all because he had to create a new life, even while knowing that the child would be damned as long as the World Goverment would be reigned by the Tenryuubuto and the five elders. If one has to look for a bad father figure, OP dads are often a good pick, what an uncaring bunch. While Luffy didn't care because he never knew his dad to begin with, most irl children would despise such a dad, picking the world and freedom/world freedom over family. A card, a word, anything at all would have been "something", but they didn't even try to make some contact as far as we know.
    Last edited by Schabrak; October 27, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #324
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    I really don't see luffy allying with anyone since roger didn't as we saw during the Edd war.
    That's pretty much a wrong interpretation of that scene in Edd War. Roger did not want to share the secret about the Ancient Weapons with Shiki nor did Roger ever want to rule the world neither alone nor together with Shiki. That's why he denied an ally with Shiki.

    We don't know whether or not Roger turned down other offers as none of the whitnesses of that time ever said anything about Roger never accepting allies.

  15. #325
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Luffy does not have to do the exact same things Roger did. It's just a loose parallel meant to reinforce that Luffy is Roger's spiritual successor. The fact is that Luffy already has formed an alliance with another pirate, that bridge has been crossed. Even if his alliance with Law is temporary, Luffy has already shown that he is willing to form alliances with like minded pirates. His alliance with Law will, of course, probably be permanent. This is One Piece, friendship is central to the story. New friends are not made just to be cast aside. Law won't be any different. Either way, Luffy already has formed an alliance, and he probably will again in the future.
    not quite since Sanji pointed out how luffy's idea of alliance doesn't actually fit with the actual meaning of having an alliance.

    ---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Roger didn't have to wage a war against WG. Also, there's weren't that many pirates/pirate alliances before. Roger started the Age of Pirates. Something to think about man.
    Shiki the golden lion. enough said.


    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

  16. #326
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Uddevalla
    Country
    Sweden
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    ^ Just stop it dude, your arguments are so thin I confused them with air by accident. Whitebeard (The strongest man in the world) was allied with over 40 crews that had sworn their allegiance to him, and loved him like a father, that/those isn't/aren't an alliance/alliances to you? You are basing your whole hence-forth argument on something so trivial as what Sanji said back on PH? Jeez that scene was for comic relief more than anything else.

    Shiki wanted to ally himself with Roger simply because Roger knew of the location of an ancient weapon. Roger refused the alliance because he wanted to continue living as a free man roaming the seas, he wasn't interested in world domination what so ever.
    The three brothers

  17. #327
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    That was partly a joke, but to say that Gol and Dragon didn't fail as father figures or fathers would be paradoxon. They literally were never there for their children/heirs, Luffy didn't even knew who his father was, Ace despised his father for more than just being not there for him. Gol and Dragon are as much fathers for those two as much as we will have colonized Mars untill 2014, not a particle.

    Yeah I get that it's a world where the men go to sea, I honestly wouldn't want many female officers due to the chance of rape, especially in the Grandline or worse New World, but many "fathers" of OP did chose to disappear and never come back. Yassop and remorse? Never seen a tiny bit of that, nor from Dragon or Gol. Of course someone had to take care of Ace since he tortured his "loved" wife throughout months with the long pregnancy, all because he had to create a new life, even while knowing that the child would be damned as long as the World Goverment would be reigned by the Tenryuubuto and the five elders. If one has to look for a bad father figure, OP dads are often a good pick, what an uncaring bunch. While Luffy didn't care because he never knew his dad to begin with, most irl children would despise such a dad, picking the world and freedom/world freedom over family. A card, a word, anything at all would have been "something", but they didn't even try to make some contact as far as we know.

    It isn't paradox as only Yasopp's leave caused a personal tragedy. No such trauma was caused by any decisions Roger or Dragon made. Ace began to hate his father because of his absence and legacy that isolated Ace, nothing Roger could've foreseen and prevented. It's not Roger's fault that the Marines caused a genocide and pursued Ace simply because of his blood.
    Anyway, further you're just dismantling the manga for its lack of realism which is absurd. As I said the manga doesn't depict fathers as a topic just because some protagonists are fathers nor does it portray their actions as failures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Yeah I get that it's a world where the men go to sea, I honestly wouldn't want many female officers due to the chance of rape, especially in the Grandline
    I disagree with you here as well but that long topic has already been discussed elsewhere.

  18. #328
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BlkHorus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by danzouismadara View Post
    I really don't see luffy allying with anyone since roger didn't as we saw during the Edd war.
    It wasn't a war with the WG, it was a battle between pirates. And having an ally doesn't mean that he doesn't have his own strength. It means that there are other crews and such out there that support Luffy and what he does. Think about when he went to save Ace and joined the war at marineford, Luffy had nothing but people that allied themselves with him for one reason or another from Impel Down. He had two former Shchibukai, revolutionaries, other pirates and criminals with him all to get to the war for different reasons. Once there, some allies dispersed and went on their own agendas. SO it is just as Mihawk said, luffy has the fearful ability to make allies of people in any situation. A deadly ability in the OP world if you are a pirate, marine, or revolutionary.

    And since Luffy doesn't plan to expand his crew beyond 10 people, he will need allies more than anything when he takes on the WG at full force.

  19. #329
    Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FaustXIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Raftel
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    That was partly a joke, but to say that Gol and Dragon didn't fail as father figures or fathers would be paradoxon. They literally were never there for their children/heirs, Luffy didn't even knew who his father was, Ace despised his father for more than just being not there for him. Gol and Dragon are as much fathers for those two as much as we will have colonized Mars untill 2014, not a particle.

    Yeah I get that it's a world where the men go to sea, I honestly wouldn't want many female officers due to the chance of rape, especially in the Grandline or worse New World, but many "fathers" of OP did chose to disappear and never come back. Yassop and remorse? Never seen a tiny bit of that, nor from Dragon or Gol. Of course someone had to take care of Ace since he tortured his "loved" wife throughout months with the long pregnancy, all because he had to create a new life, even while knowing that the child would be damned as long as the World Goverment would be reigned by the Tenryuubuto and the five elders. If one has to look for a bad father figure, OP dads are often a good pick, what an uncaring bunch. While Luffy didn't care because he never knew his dad to begin with, most irl children would despise such a dad, picking the world and freedom/world freedom over family. A card, a word, anything at all would have been "something", but they didn't even try to make some contact as far as we know.
    And Whitebeard the Best Father in the series...
    Spoiler show

  20. #330
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: One Piece 725 Discussion / 726 Prediction- NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK

    Quote Originally Posted by yieps View Post
    It isn't paradox as only Yasopp's leave caused a personal tragedy. No such trauma was caused by any decisions Roger or Dragon made. Ace began to hate his father because of his absence and legacy that isolated Ace, nothing Roger could've foreseen and prevented. It's not Roger's fault that the Marines caused a genocide and pursued Ace simply because of his blood.
    Anyway, further you're just dismantling the manga for its lack of realism which is absurd. As I said the manga doesn't depict fathers as a topic just because some protagonists are fathers nor does it portray their actions as failures.

    I disagree with you here as well but that long topic has already been discussed elsewhere.
    First things first, you are wrong.

    Dadan being a relatively "good" foster parent despite all her harshness at times doesn't take away from all those dads being poor/bad parents.
    • Yassop rather partied and drank wine and beer with Shanks while his wife was ill and suffering in bed, trying to create a positive image of her husband for her son.
    • Dragon, never took care of Luffy, never provided an upkeep, house, love, closeness, nothing. He left his son to the village.
    • Gol rather impragnated and made love to a woman, then leave her suffering for a year and more leading to her death shortly after birth, only to follow his own belief in creating a Pirate Age. Gol letting Garp take care of Ace doesn't take away a bit from his seflish behaviour, which lead to a dead women and a child who never really had a father figure. Don't forget that Gol knew that his heir would be hunted down by the marine forces and pirates alike if they learned about his true identity. He knew exactly what he had done to his son.

    All three would be looked down upon in our society, surely they would be in yours too.

    I'm not talking about men in OP, I'm talking about fathers. How about you think for yourself instead of taking everything the manga provides as cold truth. Oda not openly writing that they were horrible as "fathers" doesn't take away from them being so. And he surely did depict fathers as a topic, the whole Whitebeard theme is about fatherless children and men alike being taken care of because their real dads are such failures or for whatever other reason they had to not be there.

    Makes me wonder what you've been thinking while reading this manga...


    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Schabrak; October 28, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts