Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

  1. #1
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    i have thought about this for a few days now and the more i think about it

    the more i like DF as a character, and love him as a villain

    He seems to have turned his back on his family legacy of being a celestial dragon to seek a life of underworld crime and political corruption in the new world

    He actually cares for his underlings, as seen by his reaction when law apprehended the art-no mi lady on the ship in the last chapter. many strong villains dont care about their underlings and view them as dispensable commodities. This really gives you the feel of the whole underground crime/mob boss type profile

    He is strong, strong enough to make law and sanji look bad, maybe not yonko type power
    but certainly formidable, probably the strongest villain of any arc thus far

    the ties he has with law in the past and the ties to the celestial dragons, his roll as joker in the underground crime world, and obviously the ties to the world government as a schibukai all make him a complex and unique character, however the part i love the most about him is how he places his stature as the king of dressrosa seems to be the most important to him, which makes him seem like as opposed to a villain he really has his own sense of justice or self actualization that takes precedence over conventional right and wrong

    in other words instead of just doing what is wrong, he views his actions as justified by his own set of rules.

    just overall a masterfully developed character by oda

  2. #2
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 7pac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    On Top of the World
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    I honestly prefer Akainu tbh.

  3. #3
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7pac View Post
    I honestly prefer Akainu tbh.
    well he is certainly a hated character, and i agree that he isnt exactly a "good guy"

    but was he really the "villain" of the war arc? he certainly gained the most attention and hatred from the fans

    but something tells me he will have a more focused roll as a "main villain" of an arc later on, maybe not

    but i can certainly respect your opinion on that, Oda did a great job of making most OP fans hate that guy right off the bad

    not only for
    Spoiler show


    but also for
    Spoiler show


    hes just a low down bastard who isnt a respectable admiaral like kizaru is or how aokoji was

    now kizaru isnt exactly a nice guy, however he doesnt seem to have the below the belt style of akainu

    who may very well be the most hated man in OP

    of course my favorite villain overall would probably be marshall D teach

    i just love BB because he is a real pirate, like if you pictured a pirate in your mind, you picture a sloppy rum drinking cut throat bastard who would gut his own mom for treasure

    that my friends is black beard

    and it will be epic when he gets his main arc (he will be a lasting villain before then too im sure) its going to be something to see

  4. #4
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    I have to agree, DD is by far the best-developped villain in the entire series. BlackBeard and Akainu both committed hate-inducing acts, but neither of them has half the character depth of Doflamingo. We know very little about the history that backs their motivation, which makes them seem very shallow in comparison.

    Plus, sooner or later past villains eventually "lost it" and resorted to gratuitous acts that made them hatable to the audience but did not make much sense and destroyed their character:
    - CP9 turning to cold-blooded murder and wide-scale destruction after years of patient infiltration
    - Spandam (the guy is a childish-minded psychopath. No-one in their right mind would entrust to him the government's top secret police, seriously)
    - Crocodile attempting to bomb the population of the very kingdom he's trying to seize
    - Ener trying to destroy the whole of Skypiea (although Ener is simply insane, so his acts don't have to make sense)
    - Hodi trying to sink FI
    - ...

    Dofla has yet to perform one of those, which makes him much more solid as a character. I hope he doesn't, truth be told. He's already a perfect villain the way he is now.
    Last edited by Seafarer; October 10, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #5
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    yes, since DD is pretty much part of all the immoral things in one piece. Plus, he is dangerously strong and ruthless.


    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

  7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #6
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 7pac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    On Top of the World
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    well he is certainly a hated character, and i agree that he isnt exactly a "good guy"

    but was he really the "villain" of the war arc? he certainly gained the most attention and hatred from the fans

    but something tells me he will have a more focused roll as a "main villain" of an arc later on, maybe not

    but i can certainly respect your opinion on that, Oda did a great job of making most OP fans hate that guy right off the bad

    not only for
    Spoiler show


    but also for
    Spoiler show


    hes just a low down bastard who isnt a respectable admiaral like kizaru is or how aokoji was

    now kizaru isnt exactly a nice guy, however he doesnt seem to have the below the belt style of akainu

    who may very well be the most hated man in OP

    of course my favorite villain overall would probably be marshall D teach

    i just love BB because he is a real pirate, like if you pictured a pirate in your mind, you picture a sloppy rum drinking cut throat bastard who would gut his own mom for treasure

    that my friends is black beard

    and it will be epic when he gets his main arc (he will be a lasting villain before then too im sure) its going to be something to see

    I surely agree with you! BlackBeard is the stereotypical Pirate we would picture ourselfs. But I still see him kinda of a joker, Yeah he's a villain but he's like luffy, but evil.
    Funny that we keep using the terms "evil" and "good", since there is no such things but just beliefs of every individual, Either way, Akainu is both hated, incredibly strong, awesome, altho I hate him, I still love him, awesome character in my opinion. And he's like coolminded, like he focuses on what he has to do, and doesn't fuck around like 90% of the one piece world, if you notice. The only 2 characters that don't just blabber but attack I saw, were WhiteBeard and Akainu.

    It's still early tho, the characters have not been developed yet. Oh And I must correct you on the fact that BlackBeard is the last Villain, He is not.

    In my opinion the story goes like this:

    Luffy-> Conquers Yonko's and most of the New World
    Luffy-> Fights with BlackBeard Before Reaching Raftel ( for some reason I'm sure to reach raftel you need to have the ability to hear the voice of all things, otherwise the other yonko and thousands pirates have just been fuccking around for decades...??)
    Luffy-> Reaches Raftel, Becomes Pirate King, Discovers The Blank Century Secrets.
    Luffy-> Starts a Huge War, Pirates vs Marines and WG.
    Luff-> And Strawhats battle with the 5 Elder Stars


    So imo, it goes BB->Akainu->WG

  9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #7
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    I have to agree, DD is by far the best-developped villain in the entire series. BlackBeard and Akainu both committed hate-inducing acts, but neither of them has half the character depth of Doflamingo. We know very little about the history that backs their motivation, which makes them seem very shallow in comparison.

    Plus, sooner or later past villains eventually "lost it" and resorted to gratuitous acts that made them hatable to the audience but did not make much sense and destroyed their character:
    - CP9 turning to cold-blooded murder and wide-scale destruction after years of patient infiltration
    - Spandam (the guy is a childish-minded psychopath. No-one in their right mind would entrust to him the government's top secret police, seriously)
    - Crocodile attempting to bomb the population of the very kingdom he's trying to seize
    - Ener trying to destroy the whole of Skypiea (although Ener is simply insane, so his acts don't have to make sense)
    - Hodi trying to sink FI
    - ...

    Dofla has yet to perform one of those, which makes him much more solid as a character. I hope he doesn't, truth be told. He's already a perfect villain the way he is now.
    i do believe we will receive much more background about black beard, especially since he also has the will of D and his father was apparently an important pirate

    akainu on the other hand..... we may not be as fortunate to learn as much about his past and history, but who knows. Oda does love to go into the past and tell stories.

    So far Oda has done a great job of using flashbacks to fill us in on details of certain characters.

  11. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Don Flamingo didn't make enough to make the straw hats hate him. He didn't arm the strawhats directly.
    Crocodile is still far ahead for me.

  12. #9
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Don Flamingo didn't make enough to make the straw hats hate him. He didn't arm the strawhats directly.
    Crocodile is still far ahead for me.
    Well Df was behind the human slavery auction that lead luffy to attack the celestial dragon camie getting caught and hachi getting shot

    and he was also behind ceasar capturing those kids and experimenting on them

    he has been behind much of the strawhats frustration

    and give him some time, the arc isnt over yet, i could see him really pissing some of them off before the end of the dressrosa saga

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #10
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    Well Df was behind the human slavery auction that lead luffy to attack the celestial dragon camie getting caught and hachi getting shot

    and he was also behind ceasar capturing those kids and experimenting on them

    he has been behind much of the strawhats frustration

    and give him some time, the arc isnt over yet, i could see him really pissing some of them off before the end of the dressrosa saga
    I'm giving him time but you're the one talking about "so far" in the manga .
    He needs to do something massive to obtain the level of hate crocodile had. Basically, he needs to kill Law,Rebecca or Kinemon.

    When luffy heard about BB in this arc, he nearly didn't react even though he is also responsible for the death of his brother & the destruction of chopper's land. Indirect hits doesn't matter. Luffy needs to see up front evil deeds. Concerning Dofla, Luffy started to see it in the jail at the coliseum but that's nowhere near enough.
    Last edited by zelllogan; October 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM.

  15. #11
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    "Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?"

    He's interesting and has some sort of charisma. But best by far? How does anyone measure this? Blackbeard hid himself for 20 years within the Whitebeard Pirates and then suddenly became a Yonko within a year as his plan started to unfold.

    Luffy has still many villains to take out. Shichibukai, Yonko, Marine officers - there should still be one left from the worst generation.

  16. #12
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    "Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?"

    He's interesting and has some sort of charisma. But best by far? How does anyone measure this? Blackbeard hid himself for 20 years within the Whitebeard Pirates and then suddenly became a Yonko within a year as his plan started to unfold.

    Luffy has still many villains to take out. Shichibukai, Yonko, Marine officers - there should still be one left from the worst generation.
    The best by far ≠ the best thus far. So I think he's simply asking if DD is the best villain we have seen until now.

    Imo, yes; he's the best or the one I have enjoyed the most until now.

  17. #13
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    Plus, sooner or later past villains eventually "lost it" and resorted to gratuitous acts that made them hatable to the audience but did not make much sense and destroyed their character:
    - CP9 turning to cold-blooded murder and wide-scale destruction after years of patient infiltration
    - Spandam (the guy is a childish-minded psychopath. No-one in their right mind would entrust to him the government's top secret police, seriously)
    - Crocodile attempting to bomb the population of the very kingdom he's trying to seize
    - Ener trying to destroy the whole of Skypiea (although Ener is simply insane, so his acts don't have to make sense)
    - Hodi trying to sink FI
    - ...

    Dofla has yet to perform one of those, which makes him much more solid as a character. I hope he doesn't, truth be told. He's already a perfect villain the way he is now.
    Cp9 has always been cold blooded murderer, that is their true face. The question here is not to be surprise about their so call ruthlessness but rather how were they able to stay undercover. But even that question was answer within the series. Rob Lucci and the likes didn't hide their opinion how disgusting the whole thing was. By "being professional" and "bottle up the urge to kill," they are just that more murderous. However, Rob Lucci had always been professional through out so I don't get the "wide scale destruction" comment at all.

    Oh geez, Spandam, come on, you don't get Spandam?? That is precisely the point. It showed incompetent in the government. But one piece spell it out with the character by making him as cartoonish as possible. I have been following politics long enough to know there are clowns like Spandam all over. From Palin to Bachman to Perry to Hermain Cain to Ted Cruz, and those are just the Americans. Also the number one point to Spandam which touch on the Celestial Dragon is this "NEPOTISM."

    On Crocodile, he wants the throne. And more than that, he wants the ancient weapon. The throne is just a convenient to work without attracting attention very much like Doflamingo. He wants to build a powerful military force by using the ancient weapons and force pirates under his flag. Although, Crocodile didn't really state the reason for the bomb, it is clear to me. For 1, that isn't the entire population of Alabasta, it is just a small portion. For 2, he planned to build a military out of pirates he doesn't need army/people with morality that are able to stand up to him. Wiping them out in one sweep is the best thing for him. Once he got the ancient weapon, which was supposed to be during the plan Utopia, he had the bargaining chip against the world government. But he wasn't successful in that.

    Enel does whatever he wants. But Enel is also one of the more intelligent enemy that Luffy encounter.

    And then there is Hody. Geez, I thought he said exactly why he did what he did?? The other ones are kinda old so I explain them. But this is fairly recent. I am not even bother.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; October 11, 2013 at 04:29 AM.

  18. #14
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Yes, yes, Oda is thorough as a storywriter. However, just because there is a story justification for every little thing doesn't mean that it makes sense and builds an enjoyable character, or that we have to like it.

    On the matter of CP9, how else do you call burning down the siege of Galley-la, trying to murder the mayor, and openly assaulting the shipwrights? Honestly, if they were prepared from the start to resort to such methods, why even bother with infiltration? This is precisely the aspect of CP9 I have trouble with. Either they're straightforward brutes or they're cautious infiltrators, but being both at a time doesn't make much sense.

    As for Spandam, just because he is the embodiment of a social comment doesn't mean that he should be a caricature through and through.

    Crocodile is probably the one character I shouldn't have included in the list. The bombing is arguable, but everything prior to that was a masterplan.


    Anyway, we simply do not have the same appreciation of characters. I do not see a point in discussing it further.

  19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  20. #15
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,850
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Don Flamingo the best villain thus far in One Piece ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    Yes, yes, Oda is thorough as a storywriter. However, just because there is a story justification for every little thing doesn't mean that it makes sense and builds an enjoyable character, or that we have to like it.
    Just you or "we"?? Who are we?? So now you are going from understanding to like??

    Quote Quote:
    Honestly, if they were prepared from the start to resort to such methods, why even bother with infiltration? This is precisely the aspect of CP9 I have trouble with. Either they're straightforward brutes or they're cautious infiltrators, but being both at a time doesn't make much sense.
    No, no, and no... Didn't you read the manga.. I don't want to tell you things and then you are going to be defensive and said well although I don't understand that doesn't meant I gonna like it. Like Hody, I perfectly understand him. He is okay as villain I like others better. Again, if you want me to enlighten you I will, but if you want to have a fix set of belief then feel free to do so.

    Quote Quote:
    As for Spandam, just because he is the embodiment of a social comment doesn't mean that he should be a caricature through and through.
    This one I would argue. To me as a specific reader, he is a social commentary. Maybe Oda doesn't meant him that way, but it is logical within the One Piece world. In fact, meaphe like Spandam as a villain very much. I hold her opinion (as a literature analysis and the fact that she makes a ton of videos on One Piece reviews that I think were mostly intellectual) with much much more weight than yours.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/meapheandjunk

    Best One Piece reviewer on the web.... (this statement is an opinion not fact).

    Quote Quote:
    Anyway, we simply do not have the same appreciation of characters. I do not see a point in discussing it further.
    Well, there is understanding and there is "like" or "not like." I see you as misunderstanding some of the characters. I do too sometimes. If you want me to explain what my flaw understanding, I would. But don't be too close minded and defensive if I call you out on it.

    ---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

    If anyone had the same view of Seafarer and want my interpretation on the matter, I will continue. I thought his last comment is laughable. Mixing misunderstanding with like or not like. Sure the title of this thread does have to do with like and not like, but if you going to put out posts that are inherently flaw, then be ready for them to be criticize. (Or never mind, since we all gonna like different things like tacos and tacos and tacos, and apples, and Chinese food. There is like no point to talk about anything.)

    As for the topic of this thread, the current arc isn't over yet for me to decide. Each previous villains brought something different to the "angle" of villainy. I don't know why but I like the semi unpredictable Enel. Unlike most of the previous villains, Doflamingo does not have a clear upper hand in the plot and or driving the Strawhats into a corner yet (or create a desperate situation) (which I kinda like because Oda is trying something different). But then again, that is the way Oda want to tell the current arc. Doflamingo's ambition though seemed to be second only to Black Beard.
    Last edited by weixiaobao; October 12, 2013 at 06:12 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts