Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 105

Thread: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

  1. #1
    Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fairy Tail Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Increasingly, the issue of fanservice and how characters are presented in the manga has become a huge point of discussion in the chapter discussion, so I thought this a good time as any to start this.

    The aim of this thread is to constructively discuss how the fanservice produced by Mashima contributes/ affects your reading of the manga.

    To many, this won't really be an issue, as the mangaka has always shown his fondness for drawing certain shots of female characters and in suggestive clothing.

    Remember to be respectful of others opinions, but also avoid comparing Fairy Tail to other series. We are not here for that.

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #2
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    The aim of this thread is to constructively discuss how the fanservice produced by Mashima contributes/ affects your reading of the manga.
    Zero to none. Neither does it make me want to read the ongoing plot any faster out of thany raised addiction, nor brings it into any danger to make me want to cancel this manga. FT is not the best manga, but it's still way too joyful, as I've been starting to read Fairy Tail because I liked the humour that Mashima mixes with fan service and "brutality" towards his characters and never took the story too serious.

    I also use to read manga only when I'm alone and undisturbed to end my days, so there's nothing to feel embarrassed while reading stories that contains nudity to a certain degree. People around me don't read manga anyways, so it's a personal hobby I could end anytime I feel unsatisfied by it.

  4. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshCandyPop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Last release was a downer and a total waste of my time. Release for this week seems to have been made for fan service and used more than usual 'sensual' scenes that makes me think Mishima used to garner interest from male readers. Makes me aloof but honestly I expected it a bit especially after I read HSDK.

  5. #4
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member FirenX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Let me say a thing or two on this situation. Calling Mashima and all his fans ''Pervs'' just because they liked this chapter with a bit of fanservice in it is just ridiculous and overboard. There are people who like Mashimas work and there are people who doesn't like it. But it's not just the fanservice this week, you guys complain every week, after week, after week, after week, after week. If you can't handle and understand good work and great talent, then just shut it off and stop reading god damn it. FT is one of the most popular and best Mangas around the block right now. In my opinion, it was a good chapter and he did a good job like he always does, because he tries everything to satisfy his fans and you really feel how he loves this job in every single chapter. And shows his supporters his appreciation by giving a little bit enjoyment in form of a little fanservice. Sure that this manga affects youngsters, too but do you honestly think that they are corrupted just by THAT? They all know ''How to do it'' by the end of age 11 today because you find 'Sexism' everywhere nowadays. So if you're so disgusted with this, why do you even continue to read it?

    Don't be foolish.
    Last edited by FirenX; October 12, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

  6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #5
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by FirenX View Post
    Let me say a thing or two on this situation. Calling Mashima and all his fans ''Pervs'' just because they liked this chapter with a bit of fanservice in it is just ridiculous and overboard.
    If I'm not mistaken, even his co-workers call him a "perv", and he refers to himself as such too. And in one chapter, he had a cover page of the girls in the beach and outright says that it's fanservice for pervs. So no, this is neither ridiculous nor overboard. In case of Hiro at least. I have no problem with fanservice if it's timed correctly, but when it's so worthless and forced like in this chapter, it's kind of annoying, not to mention a waste of time. Not the fanservice itself, but how it's presented.

    Quote Quote:
    If cou can't handle and understand good work and great talent, then just shut it off and stop reading god damn it.
    If Mashima himself understands that he went overboard with this one, who are we to say it's okay and a good chapter? If you like it it's cool, but we aren't at fault because we don't share your point of view.
    Last edited by KingOfNight; October 12, 2013 at 07:53 AM.

  8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #6
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNight View Post
    If Mashima himself understands that he went overboard with this one, who are we to say it's okay and a good chapter?
    Oh, and I thought you guys would have a mind to build an opinion of your own... I mean, most of the time Mashima is very confident about his work, and you still keep saying chapters are bad...

  10. #7
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Oh, and I thought you guys would have a mind to build an opinion of your own... I mean, most of the time Mashima is very confident about his work, and you still keep saying chapters are bad...
    If you acknowledge that I keep saying the chapters are bad (which I don't remember saying for a while since I'm hardly here, nor did I say that THIS chapter is bad), then you were right to think we guys have a mind to build an opinion of our own.

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lol Jersey
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I'm fine with it because it's many times used for comic relief and it isn't glaring enough to be distracting. If you want a discussion on how fanservice becomes a perverted disaster, then read Kenichi where even intense and emotional scenes are overrun with it. I roll my eyes every chapter now, whereas with Fairy Tail I never even think about it.

  13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #9
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AshCandyPop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Philippines
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I am neither a hater nor fan of FT. I read FT as I find it enjoyable enough and I am okay with a bit of fan service. But I find the last release going overboard the 'usual' fan service he does and I am not comfortable with it. May be it is because of a girl thing, or may be it just is not to my taste but whatever the cause I do not like it.

    Now does that make FT bad over all? No. Will I still read the next releases? Yes. But if it becomes like that of Kenichi (HSDK), I WILL STOP.

    In the question of whether FT fans are pervs? It lacks sufficient proof but to those who will say that the last release is the best one thus far.... a red flag to you.

  15. #10
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Country
    Belgium
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I have read outrageous seinen which I enjoyed like ichi the killer in which you can see a hero who masturbate each time he kill someone and an antagonist who is a sadist psychopath ... But I just don t expect a peep show from a manga about friendship and adventure. Fairy tail doesn t need this fan service to be entertaining. It doesn t serve the story in any way. It s just free voyeurism, a cheap and lazy way to entertain. Last chapter was a doujinshi. Even the author know he was wrong.

  16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #11
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    va
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I think as long as he continues to offer choice scenes for Gray and Natsu then I can easily overlook the Lucy and etc panels. Initially got into the series cause of Gray, so good.

    SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Stealth Symphony | Team Food Wars!

  18. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Marche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    It was quite funny when Gray and Natsu said that they already saw them naked so much that they are already used to it.fa
    I am not surprised that Erza has not problem with them there, since even during their training before of the tournament (I don't remember the chapter, but it was in the fourth OAV) She said that they could join them.
    I liked the fanservice, it was not a problem for me, except for that of Wendy, that disturbed me (just that of Mavis in the fourth OAV), that can pleasure only the pedophiles.

    Anyways it is funny that her was shy and tried to cover herself, counting that she is just a kid, she has nothing to cover.
    I don't even liked Lucy, she has big breast and sometime even a good face, but she is fat, I don't like her butt.
    Erza instead has a good face, big breast and usually even a good ass, even if sometime even her butt is quite fat, as in the last page, her butt seem enormous.

    I would have preferred if even Lluvia would be of this arc, particularly previously, infact I would have preferred if Lluvia would be the one that encouraged Gray to defeat Doriate and not Urtear (infact Urtear came from nowhere, even if I admit than that time I liked her appearance but only because I thought that she had something to do with the ice or with the voice that Natsu had heard).
    Obviously I would have liked if she would be in this chapter as well, infact I think would be funny if she would bath with Gray, just like happened between Erza and Natsu.

    Anyways is quite strange, infact in the bathroom scene Lluvia is always shy, she always covers herself, just like in chapter 341 or even during the training arc for the game, that is it in the third OAV. At the opposite there are sometime in which she is willing to strip herself, for example if I remember well in a chapter between Edolas arc and the S class test.
    Just for this reason if Happy will say her what happened in this chapter She could decide to strip herself for Gray.
    As a last thing regarding the fanservice I must say it was very funny the last page between Natsu and Erza.

  19. #13
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I think that this is one of those weeks where Mashima just focused on art and not plot.. or plot plot plot!!!hahaaha

  20. #14
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by FirenX View Post
    Let me say a thing or two on this situation. Calling Mashima and all his fans ''Pervs'' just because they liked this chapter with a bit of fanservice in it is just ridiculous and overboard.
    Hiro Mashima IS a perv though. Your not a perv just because you read FT, but I mean seriously.....let's be realistic. If one of us somehow got the chance to meet Hiro Mashima, I'm pretty sure he would have no problems admitting he's a perv. How is he NOT a perv? I'm not trying to incite an argument, I'm just honestly baffled how someone could read 'Mashima's a perv" and get bothered by it. It's not an insult. It's just what he is when it comes to his drawing style.....he likes to draw women naked, most all with big tits and big ass, usually in perverted/erotic positions. How does this not come from a perverted mind?! I mean it's not as ridiculous as getting upset for someone calling the author of say, History's Strongest Disciple, a perv, but still, there's no reason to be bothered by it. I mean seriously, we have people calling other uses retarded for saying that? That's scary man.

    Dude, getting mad at someone for calling Mashima a perv is equally as logical as getting angry at someone for calling FT a shounen.
    Last edited by exacta; October 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM.

  21. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by obamamania View Post
    I'm fine with it because it's many times used for comic relief and it isn't glaring enough to be distracting. If you want a discussion on how fanservice becomes a perverted disaster, then read Kenichi where even intense and emotional scenes are overrun with it. I roll my eyes every chapter now, whereas with Fairy Tail I never even think about it.
    Whereas many mangakas fail with using fanservice, only Mashima and Akamatsu succeed with it. Unlike many other mangas, the fanservice in FT doesn't feel forced as hell. I can't really tell the reason why, but I think they work because it's fun. It also helps that he tends to make lampshades of them, which, I think is his brand of humor. Maybe that's why they feel so refreshing unlike others which just force the fanservice without learning to properly utilize it.

    The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

New Reply
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts