Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 105

Thread: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

  1. #31
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    Call me gay or whatever, but I never really notice the fan service. Maybe I watch/read too many anime/manga. It'll have to be something on the level of To Love Ru or Rosario Vampire anime for me to be like, man, this is too distracting (I don't even notice the fan service in those two manga, actually). Fairy Tail is nowhere near that level.
    Nah, I think you're just asexual

    Anyways, I agree with this very much. The people calling out Fairy Tail's fanservice being on a ridiculous level is a pretty outrageous claim. And you know what? I think I'm beginning to see a pattern with Mashima's fanservices. Most of the fanservice-y chapters are usually done as a breather episode of sorts.

    In fact, the execution of the current chapter's fanservice is perfectly fine to me. It follows Mashima's pattern. Not only that, it worked perfectly with the information divulged (and the reveal of FT's Founding Fathers' ideals). Mashima set up a laid-back, relaxed atmosphere to support the recent plot reveal. It served nicely to accompany the important stuff.

    Just because a major plot reveal is being revealed, it doesn't mean you have to do it in a serious atmosphere. You can do it in a laid-back atmosphere as well, and if Mashima wants to go to the extremes for that atmosphere, then so be it. In fact, I wasn't even bothered by the fanservice at all. Why? because my attention was too preoccupied with Warrod's information to actually enjoy the fanservice. Hell, I even forgot for a moment this was a fanservice chapter. This is how you use fanservice.

    Even the naked bell chapter was greatly executed. It actually helped Natsu to divert his attention away from Rouge to think up of something to fight the dragons with.

    The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

  2. #32
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Junior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    The Wall
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I've read a lot of posts in other threads about this.

    One person threw out the whole "omg stop being a prude, a naked body isn't that big of a deal. he does it in almost every chapter, obsessing over something so trivial". I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of the argument.

    True, a naked body isn't something to be "condemned" but I think it has a lot to do with context. In this chapter you can say that there was a reason for such blatant fanservice: the Guild members were winding down after a hard fought battle.

    Fine, sure.

    But there are more tactful and, dare I say, tasteful ways to present such a scene. I believe this was entirely too much and, for me, it detracted from the overall story. Not in the sense that I was staring at the screen with a "BOOBIES! O____O" expression but..yeah, I was more than a little disappointed.

    Fanservice is one thing but to me this felt like softcore porn.

    Of course, I'll probably get flamed with the whole: "ugh he does it so much, if you dont like the manga then dont read it!1!!"
    2013 MH Resolution: Ignore the fanboys.

  3. #33
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    I suppose that for those who have read enough mangas, they can most certainly block out the fanservice in favor of the plot happening at the same time (much like this chapter).

    ---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

    EDIT: Forgot to add, I think the main point of frustration is that people are making out FT to be this gratuitous fanservice series, when in fact that is not absolutely true. There are many other mangas who deserve that billing. To-Love-Ru and Rosario+Vampire being one of them.

    The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

  4. #34
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Junior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Country
    The Wall
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    I suppose that for those who have read enough mangas, they can most certainly block out the fanservice in favor of the plot happening at the same time (much like this chapter).

    ---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

    EDIT: Forgot to add, I think the main point of frustration is that people are making out FT to be this gratuitous fanservice series, when in fact that is not absolutely true. There are many other mangas who deserve that billing. To-Love-Ru and Rosario+Vampire being one of them.
    To be honest, I haven't even commented on the series as a whole.

    It's just this >one< chapter that made feel like having to post in this thread in the first place. I mean, surely there were other chapters that made me raise an eyebrow but this one kinda took the cake.

    Not even saying that it's the worst offender.

    It just feels like those ads where you have a product on a table surrounded by half naked women taking jello shots out of each others bellybuttons. Yeah, it's cool that there are naked chicks and all but..what does that have to do with the product?

    Pretty big exaggeration but the point remains.
    2013 MH Resolution: Ignore the fanboys.

  5. #35
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Country
    Indonesia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    LOL, I get your analogy. But this is just me, though. I've already given an example of how this chapter's fanservice is more like a blob of delicious mashed potato accompanying a big, juicy steak. Going by that analogy, think about it. When you read manga, the first thing your eyes would be directed to would be the text, right? by taking into account of that psychological routine, wouldn't the story presented in the text have more of a lasting effect rather than the fanservice?

    The human mind is more likely to be affected by the first thing it sees. That's why I barely noticed this was supposed to be a fanservice chapter. My mind instead is filled more with my anticipation from the revelation.

    The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

  6. #36
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    the only negative side to the fan sevice is the degrading of women's dignity especially the main characters

    this manga is a shounen and is mainly intended for males, however it does have numerous female fans.

    now it is not mashimas responsibility to make everyone happy, however i could see where some female fans may have trouble supporting or identifying with group of female main characters who wear skimpy outfits and get exposed for fanservice

    personally i love the fanservice, but i could see where some female fans find it disrespectful

  7. #37
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Colombia
    Posts
    3,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    FT Fanservice doesn't affect FT quality of the story at all. It didn't make the story better nor worse; it simply is there. Neither it tells much about the mangaka's talent in regards to if he's capable of tell a good story or not. Personally I think the story is not good, but only because of features related to the plot which are off topic here. That's for the literary part.

    But for the commercial part, I agree with M3J, that it looks like the author wants to make more money with the fanservice. Or like, if he would be thinking that his story is not good enough to grant the fandom now it has, if he wouldn't have using fanservice. I think it's a shame because his art is really great.

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #38
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Well mashima's art is very pleasing to the eye

    he may be he best artist in the manga industry, so naturally his fan service is top notch


    i am not sure if he will earn more because of it

  10. #39
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    ҂136th Floor
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    It's difficult to talk about FT's fanservice without getting a little bit off topic. Actually, there is nothing wrong with fanservice. You see it in many other series, though not in that scale but whatever. My main issue with FT is that relevant elements in this series are really bad. Plot, plot progression, fights, villains and so on. Adding a shitload of fanservice on top of that just makes it worse, because you get the impression that the author doesn't even care about the other, more important elements of his story.

    The fanservice itself is not the problem. It becomes a problem when - in your opinion - there is nothing the series shines with. Literally.

  11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  12. #40
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    My main issue with FT is that relevant elements in this series are really bad. Plot, plot progression, fights, villains and so on. Adding a shitload of fanservice on top of that just makes it worse, because you get the impression that the author doesn't even care about the other, more important elements of his story.
    An unfortunate truth. I saw many who believe that Hiro doesn't care about the story but mainly focus on the fanservice. And even though I'd like to defend FT at those times...I can't exactly say they're wrong.

  13. #41
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fairy Tail 355 Discussion / 356 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'm sorry but complaining about fanservice in Fairy Tail is pretty retarded. This is the type of thing the term "tard" was invented to describe. "Noobish" would also be a fair description. Fairy Tail has always had fanservice.
    I wasn't complaining about fanservice. I was saying I think its absurd people are being called retarded for saying Mashima is a perv. The word perv is no more if not less "harsh" than the word you just used, retarded. I'm pretty sure Mashima thinks of himself as a little pervy, and perv is also a word that you see often enough in shounen...I don't think anyone reading manga should be offended by the word.
    Last edited by exacta; October 17, 2013 at 08:41 PM.

  14. #42
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    If Fairy Tail is "pervy" than so is the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. Fairy Tail is no more provocative. Neither are particularly racy. Fully dressed girls showing a little cleavage, leg, and mid-riff. There's occasional nudity, with strategic parts artfully covered, of course. I don't think the Swimsuit Edition has been considered pervy in a good forty years. Saying that Fairy Tail is any more perverted would be exceptionally silly, or extremely old fashioned.

    Fairy Tail is not even that fanservicy a manga. Compared to Naruto and Bleach it might be, but in the wider world of manga, anime, and light novels it's pretty tame.

    ---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by syx View Post
    It's difficult to talk about FT's fanservice without getting a little bit off topic. Actually, there is nothing wrong with fanservice. You see it in many other series, though not in that scale but whatever. My main issue with FT is that relevant elements in this series are really bad. Plot, plot progression, fights, villains and so on. Adding a shitload of fanservice on top of that just makes it worse, because you get the impression that the author doesn't even care about the other, more important elements of his story.

    The fanservice itself is not the problem. It becomes a problem when - in your opinion - there is nothing the series shines with. Literally.
    If "there is nothing the series shines with", why are you reading? Basically you are saying that everything is "really bad", the fanservice only makes it worth, and it doesn't seem like the author cares. If Fairy Tail is that bad, why read it, let alone waste time complaining about it? Move on to something you enjoy, rather than read, and complaining about something you don't like. It's your free time, and your entertainment, put it to better use.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 17, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

  15. #43
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    If Fairy Tail is "pervy" than so is the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. Fairy Tail is no more provocative. Neither are particularly racy. Fully dressed girls showing a little cleavage, leg, and mid-riff. There's occasional nudity, with strategic parts artfully covered, of course. I don't think the Swimsuit Edition has been considered pervy in a good forty years. Saying that Fairy Tail is any more perverted would be exceptionally silly, or extremely old fashioned.
    I can tell you right now if I read that chapter at work on my iPhone during my break and someone from HR saw it, I would probably have a hard time explaining my way out of that one. Also, the girls in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition are wearing swimsuits. They aren't naked. I'm not offended by fanservice. I just said Mashima's pervy. Explain to me how it''s not okay to say perv or pervy, but it's totally fine to call some retarded or a tard?

  16. #44
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Calling Fairy Tail pervy is an extreme, over dramatic description of the content being described. Even the loosest definition of pervy would not include Fairy Tail. There's really no need to describe Fairy Tail in such harsh terms. If you described Fairy Tail as pervy to someone who had never read the series, and then showed them chapter 355 as an example, they would probably laugh at you. Unless, of course, they were the type of person who thinks the Swimsuit Edition is scandalous.

    Retarded is just playground talk. That's how people talk among friends, in informal situations. Maybe not polite, but it's not meant as an insult. It's just a more crude way of describing something as silly, or nonsensical. Nothing really wrong with saying it's "retarded" to call Fairy Tail pervy. It's just a colloquialism. The ethics of the word are terrible, but this is not the thread, nor the forum, for such a conversation.

    Fairy Tail might not be the type of thing I would want my boss to see me reading during a break. I probably wouldn't start flipping through the Swimsuit Edition, or a Victoria Secret's catalog at work either. That doesn't make it pervy. If I read Fairy Tail, I would flip through a volume at a Barnes and Nobles without feeling like a perv. It's not exactly like whipping out a Playboy, or worse, in public.

    Swimsuit Edition does have some nudity, in the same sense FT does. There are always a few spreads of girls topless, with just a hand covering their chest, or something like that. And it's not like FT has "nudity" every chapter. Every once in a while, but not that often. Most chapters the girls are dressed, even if they are wearing revealing outfits. And when there is nudity, key parts are always covered. There's always a hand, fog, a tree branch or whatever. Inuyasha has actually shown more than Fairy Tail ever has.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 17, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

  17. #45
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Calling Fairy Tail pervy is an extreme, over dramatic description of the content being described. Even the loosest definition of pervy would not include Fairy Tail. There's really no need to describe Fairy Tail in such harsh terms. If you described Fairy Tail as pervy to someone who had never read the series, and then showed them chapter 355 as an example, they would probably laugh at you. Unless, of course, they were the type of person who thinks the Swimsuit Edition is scandalous.

    Retarded is just playground talk. That's how people talk among friends, in informal situations. Maybe not polite, but it's not meant as an insult. It's just a more crude way of describing something as silly, or nonsensical. Nothing really wrong with saying it's "retarded" to call Fairy Tail pervy. It's just a colloquialism. The ethics of the word are terrible, but this is not the thread, nor the forum, for such a conversation.
    They wouldn't laugh at me, they'd probably agree, in the real world at least. They also wouldn't be shocked either though. I was never offended by this chapters fanservice or any fanservice. I just read Fairy Tail and most other shounen for the plot and action, not fanservice. I should also point out that it has definitely not been like this all 8 years. Fairy Tail has more fanservice now that it did when it started, but it doesn't offend me at all. I don't think it was placed in the right context this week though though when Mashima had Warrod reveal serious content at the end. It's a tension killer for me, kinda ruins the mood, that's why I didn't like last weeks chapter. We really have to make this big deal out of a chapter that Mashima himself said he probably got a little carried away with? I don't agree with your take on this at all, but I'm not going to tell you your retarded for it. If calling Mashima pervy isn't appropriate then calling another member retarded definitely isn't.

New Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts