Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fanservice in Fairy Tail

Problem with fan service is that it can take away the seriousness of the moment and/or imply that the manga doesn't have much plot or the mangaka wants to distract. Given the amount of fan service, Mashima could be seen as desperate for more readers, given that it's not always necessary to include boobs or whatnot. Maybe like Kishi, he's just finding ways to extend the plot or provide some ways to please the fans, especially if the plot isn't as good.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Reminds of my feelings on that panel with the camera angle making, flare was it, bewbies huge while she was crying, really ruined the moment and ought to have not been done that way.
    Yeah, I totally agree.
    This is a great example of fanservice ruining a great moment.

Basically, it was the moment when she says something like "I'm home", and she cry of relief.
    But, the way it was drawn was basically a huge close-up of her boobs.

Totally ruined the drama for me...

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Problem with fan service is that it can take away the seriousness of the moment and/or imply that the manga doesn't have much plot or the mangaka wants to distract. Given the amount of fan service, Mashima could be seen as desperate for more readers, given that it's not always necessary to include boobs or whatnot. Maybe like Kishi, he's just finding ways to extend the plot or provide some ways to please the fans, especially if the plot isn't as good.
    this was my only complaint about the fanservice

like when lucy was trying to close the zodiac gate and we got nothing but crotch-shots of her in a very serious moment

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by obamamania View Post
    Everyone is entitled their own opinions, but I personally still think that while some of the fanservice is annoying, it's nowhere near as bad as it could be considering how good Mashima is at drawing it. Please, read this week's Kenichi and you'll see fanservice you wouldn't possibly believe. Or maybe you would, considering it's Kenichi. If this manga was like Kenichi at all though, there is no WAY that you know who would still be clothed by the end of this week's chapter.
    amen to this, he is the best artist in all of manga right now

one of the best of all time

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

On this, I'll somewhat agree. But I feel it's more like his own brand of humor. Rather, it's more like serious humor.

One guy naked compared to more than one girl. Yep, no bias there. Guess Mashima's scared his story's not that good anymore.
    It's posts like these that seriously make me want to laugh. Seriously? if you thought Mashima doesn't know shit about writing a story, then what does the last two chapters tell you? Mashima doesn't need fanservice to write his story, but he does it anyways. Why? it's because he loves it. Mashima is perfectly capable of writing a manga without fanservice gimmicks, but he doesn't use them as a gimmick at all. He uses it because he loves doing it. It's not because he's perverted, he does it because he wants to. Mashima's aim with his manga is to appeal to all sorts of fans out there, including the perverted ones.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

This would be the case if it starts to interfere with the plot itself. However with FT it never seems to bother me as much as it does with other stories. Im actually more annoyed by Juvia and her constant Jealousy and worship of Grey then i am of bikini and crotch shots.
    Still nothing in FT makes me want to stop reading it because i enjoy it to the max. Even if Juvias constant theme is the most annoying i can think of it still is something i take for granted.
    That said the fan service is 1 of the things that makes me enjoy it too. You never know what Mashima might pull next.

I could go endlessly on about how i admire Mashima for his work without going into fanboy mode, because i appreciate his work for what it is. A few reasons why i put up with his fan service?

- he talks in detail about how he works outside and inside the manga releases, like how his editor wants him to redo stuff or add or remove things. Which he doesnt always agree with. How many authors do we know that talk this openly about their work?
    - all the art is to my opinion top level, i never felt like... ok this could have been done better its sloppy.
    - every time i read fairy tail i cant wait to read the next chapter. Its catching.
    - each and every character is more or less unique, they dont look like generic characters that you just open a can of, that have just different 3 sizes and a different dye of hair-color.
    - last but not least, i admire how he is able to bring something so well that he himself dislikes doing, like bringing back lisanna. It wasnt his idea it was his editors. And he did it so well. Its 1 of the reasons i like his work so much. Hes that gifted.

What i mean to say with these points is that this outweighs his leaning to draw fan service. I just feel that all the other stuff outweighs it by far. Its merely my opinion. Feel free to comment if you want ^^
    Last edited by ca12nag3; October 26, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    On this, I'll somewhat agree. But I feel it's more like his own brand of humor. Rather, it's more like serious humor.
    Dunno if showing boobs at a serious moment would make it serious though.

Quote Quote:
    It's posts like these that seriously make me want to laugh. Seriously? if you thought Mashima doesn't know shit about writing a story, then what does the last two chapters tell you? Mashima doesn't need fanservice to write his story, but he does it anyways. Why? it's because he loves it. Mashima is perfectly capable of writing a manga without fanservice gimmicks, but he doesn't use them as a gimmick at all. He uses it because he loves doing it. It's not because he's perverted, he does it because he wants to. Mashima's aim with his manga is to appeal to all sorts of fans out there, including the perverted ones.
    It's all subjective. Few people could find the last two chapters to be great, while other few would find it horrible.

But why does he need to include fan service constantly? Appealing to all sorts of fans out there is good, but wouldn't it be better to make fan service a bit more rare? It'd still appeal to everyone, and give "perverts" something to anticipate.

Quote Originally Posted by ca12nag3 View Post
    This would be the case if it starts to interfere with the plot itself. However with FT it never seems to bother me as much as it does with other stories. Im actually more annoyed by Juvia and her constant Jealousy and worship of Grey then i am of bikini and crotch shots.
    Still nothing in FT makes me want to stop reading it because i enjoy it to the max. Even if Juvias constant theme is the most annoying i can think of it still is something i take for granted.
    That said the fan service is 1 of the things that makes me enjoy it too. You never know what Mashima might pull next.

I could go endlessly on about how i admire Mashima for his work without going into fanboy mode, because i appreciate his work for what it is. A few reasons why i put up with his fan service?

- he talks in detail about how he works outside and inside the manga releases, like how his editor wants him to redo stuff or add or remove things. Which he doesnt always agree with. How many authors do we know that talk this openly about their work?
    - all the art is to my opinion top level, i never felt like... ok this could have been done better its sloppy.
    - every time i read fairy tail i cant wait to read the next chapter. Its catching.
    - each and every character is more or less unique, they dont look like generic characters that you just open a can of, that have just different 3 sizes and a different dye of hair-color.
    - last but not least, i admire how he is able to bring something so well that he himself dislikes doing, like bringing back lisanna. It wasnt his idea it was his editors. And he did it so well. Its 1 of the reasons i like his work so much. Hes that gifted.

What i mean to say with these points is that this outweighs his leaning to draw fan service. I just feel that all the other stuff outweighs it by far. Its merely my opinion. Feel free to comment if you want ^^
    Great post. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying fan service, I only have a problem if it's too much or interferes with the mood/story in some way. As long as it's done well, there's no reason for me to complain, though some others might disagree.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno if showing boobs at a serious moment would make it serious though.
    I think what Mashima attempted there is spur 2 thoughts in 1 pallet. And to me it works. He gave fan service as show how Flare was emotional. After all she was wearing that dress, so its merely the angle we see her from down up that makes it like this. Its a good drawing.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca12nag3 View Post
    I think what Mashima attempted there is spur 2 thoughts in 1 pallet. And to me it works. He gave fan service as show how Flare was emotional. After all she was wearing that dress, so its merely the angle we see her from down up that makes it like this. Its a good drawing.
    To me it ruined the moment...
    It was the most dramatic scene from Flare, and it didn't had any dramatic impact because of the fanservice.

It was like if Oda from One Piece would have shown Robin boobs when she cried and said "I wanna live".
    It would have ruined all the drama.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    To me it ruined the moment...
    It was the most dramatic scene from Flare, and it didn't had any dramatic impact because of the fanservice.

It was like if Oda from One Piece would have shown Robin boobs when she cried and said "I wanna live".
    It would have ruined all the drama.
    Thats just a personal opinion, the drama was there. It felt sincere from her part. But because she wears that dress and has such a size its not sincere? I mean should he have put her in a all cover dress first? I think its good as it is. And we as readers would have probably find it odd if it didnt look like it did.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at the Flare panel the first time and doesn't feel anything that's its fan service scene. It wasn't until I read comment here and go back and look at it that I see it can be thought of a fan service scene.

I think people who notice the fan service are, well, more distracted by it because of how their mind works?
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I sound like a broken record, but people really need to use some perspective when they look at fanservice in this manga. One obnoxious scene every few chapters, even during an emotional moment on occassion, is slightly annoying but not worth complaining about. Fanservice may be at times overused a bit, but it is NOT abused in this manga. It just is not, especially when you compare it to popular manga where it clearly is. The type of fanservice Fairy Tail deals with is usually funny and not forced, and it's really not something that I think of when reading this manga. If we had multiple boob and butt shots every chapter, then you have a point, but most of the time this manga can be taken seriously as simply a source of good art and balanced fanservice. A manga should be judged on how it holds up if you subtract the erotic nonsense that the author throws in, and lemme tell you, it's pretty great especially right now. Go remove the fanservice (both erotic and comedic) from Kenichi, and what do you get? The craziest, most nonsensical storytelling in martial arts manga history. After that Flare chapter, I'm more interested in E.N.D. and Tartarus than the size of her chest.
    Last edited by obamamania; October 28, 2013 at 08:07 AM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    I look at the Flare panel the first time and doesn't feel anything that's its fan service scene. It wasn't until I read comment here and go back and look at it that I see it can be thought of a fan service scene.

I think people who notice the fan service are, well, more distracted by it because of how their mind works?
    Come on, really?
    You're going to tell me that this is not distracting?

Mashima chose that angle.
    He could have pick any other angle, but he chose that one.

Especially that the panel right before she's looking up, at the giants.
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/fairy...8/c354/14.html
    So, the angle is weird either way.

In any case, this was a deliberate fanservice choice from Mashima.
    And a perfect example, IMO, of fanservice done wrong.
    Last edited by THM Nindo; November 01, 2013 at 03:11 PM.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

And as some of us have been saying, it could be worse and we choose not to be bothered by it because we love Fairy Tail and appreciate the vast majority of the time when fanservice is not a problem. And as I've been saying, until we end up at the level of Kenichi fanservice, I'll ignore it.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What fanservice? There is no fanservice in Fairytail, Fairytail is an ecchi manga. I would never feel safe reading Fairytail at work/school, every chapter is filled with sexual posses or blatant nudity. I don't particularly have a problem with it, because that's just the kind of thing you come to expect from ecchi mangas, I like Highschool of the Dead as well, but I would never consider reading that at work/school either for similar reasons. Does that make them bad manga? No, but don't pretend like they are suitable for children who don't live in a country saturated with tentacle porn.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXan View Post
    PS. To bad you are not 4 years older and living in my country as i would love to exchange ideas over a drink :P
    Tell the emperor that my hall has fallen to the ground. Phoibos no longer has his house, nor his mantic bay, nor his prophetic spring; the water has dried up.- Pythia of Delphi

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    Come on, really?
    You're going to tell me that this is not distracting?

Mashima chose that angle.
    He could have pick any other angle, but he chose that one.

Especially that the panel right before she's looking up, at the giants.
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/fairy...8/c354/14.html
    So, the angle is weird either way.

In any case, this was a deliberate fanservice choice from Mashima.
    And a perfect example, IMO, of fanservice done wrong.
    i will agree that this was poor choice in timing for fan service

not complaining about seeing flares boobies, as i believe most male fans , (and probably alot of female fans) all share this opinion

however it certainly takes away from the seriousness of the moment when something dramatical is happening

this is mashimas choice , and he certianly has that right because he is the mangaka

but we arent all going to agree with everything our favorite authors do, honestly FT is still one of my favorites even with the occasional poorly timed and placed FanService

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast