Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)

View Poll Results: Who should take over Irwins Command?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Levi

7 18.42%
  • Hanji Zoe

19 50.00%
  • Armin

8 21.05%
  • Somebody outside the legion

4 10.53%
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If Irwin loses command who should replace him?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

If Irwin loses command who should replace him?

Given the way this arc has gone its very likely Irwin will lose command between Annie running loose in the city, the legions failure to capture Reiner, Bert, losing Ymir, the massive amount of casualties, Irwins extremely unconventional which cost the legion massive casualties and Irwin losing his arm which essential leaves him pretty much incapable of dispatching titans I believe all of these combined will result in him losing his command.

I have 3 candidates in mind, 2 of which would be the most obviously and likely, one who is an unlikely yet very strong candidate.

First candidate:

Levi: The strongest man on earth and probably the most likely candidate. Despite being injured I'm sure its a VERY temporary thing as he's already walking so his injury can't be too severe. Levi is the strongest fighter, his combat ability alone inspires and lifts his soldiers to perform even better. He is the most feared and respected man in the legion and is unmatched in combat. However despite that I feel he would not make the best commander nor do I feel as if he would want to be, he does not seem like the guy who likes the strategize, he is a very go with the flow person and is more of a soldier that is content fighting rather then leading.

Second candidate:

Hanji Zoe: A capable fighter in her own right and a great strategist too. Hanji is another person with a great claim not only due to her experience and time in service but her ability to lead and strategize. I feel she would be better at the job then Levi however she is quite obsessed with the titans and how they function and I feel she would better serve mankind continuing her research rather then leading the legion.

Third and most unlikely candidate:

Armin: I know allot of people are thinking "WTF!" Here me out....Armin despite his age and inexperience has grown exponentially as a soldier,person and a leader over the course of the serious. What he might lack in combat prowess he makes up for in his incredible intelligence, tactical genius and cunning. He also displays a likeminded mentality and resolve that Irwin displays. I also believe Irwin has been grooming Armin for command, from very early on Irwin has made Armin privy to many of his missions and strategy's and has even sought and listened to his advise and input. Plus right now humanities greatest weapon is Eren and I feel Armins unique relationship to Eren only helps make a case to put him in command.

What do you guys think?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If Irwin loses command who should replace him?

Hange, Armin is capable but he is too young. Hange is smart, strong, trusted by her companions and has a great determination.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Already voting for Hange Zoe. It just would make sense if it's going to be her due to having more experience. Yes, Hange is obsessed with titans but its more played for comedic effect. When the job gets serious though, she pretty much acts like a real leader. When Ymir was shown to be a Titan, instead of obsessing over her, she's still focused on the first priority, that is plugging the wall(Chapter 42). When the Colossus and Armored Titans' identities were revealed, she was the one who ordered to go for the kill and abandon on capturing them. In fact, for the most part of the "Breach" of Wall Rose arc, she was pretty much leading a lot of Survey Corp squads up until she got injured: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/160518/...ch43_by_tdx/23

Armin still needs a few years for him to be in command. That's what I think. But if Hange can't recover from those injuries, he's probably next in line. And like you said, Levi wouldn't make sense as a commander. He's more of a fighter type rather than a strategist leader type.

Plus, my avatar is Hange. MUST VOTE FOR HER. XD

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, by now we know the scouting legion pretty well so it is safe to say there is no one there capable of actually replacing irwin. Hange is not an option IMO. She does not have the rank, skill or importance to actually be even adequate at this. Levi would appear a good choice however I don't think he has the brains for the job. Irwin was always shown as the brain and levi as the muscle to the point where even someone like levi would follow his orders blindly. Armin would perhaps be a good choice but there is not a snowball's chance in hell that he will ever be considered. He is a newly recruited 15 year old, even if he has a brilliant tactical mind the notion that a kid can or should be chosen to lead the humanity's most powerful army is absurd. From what I gather a potential replacement could not possibly come from characters we know IMO. Maybe there is a little more to the scouting legion than what we know and someone gets promoted who we don't know. The scouting legion seems to have a pretty simple structure so it would appear that there really aren't that many more leaders that could be promoted. Perhaps given the particular circumstances it wouldn't be an issue though. Right now with eren's ability the focus should be on finally recovering the wall, it would be easy and actually going to the basement as there is no risk in doing so.

Now, IMO the most likely scenario is that pixis will take over. He is old but he is capable of making tough decisions and perhaps the only alternative to irwin. I can't see those subordinate to irwin being promoted.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Armin is too young and inexperienced to lead the Scouting Legion, also I don't think at this point in the story Armin is willing to do whatever it takes for Humanity to survive, would he put Mikasa or others in danger if it was necessary for the mission to succeed (didn't include Eren because of how different and important he is to humanity). I could definitely see him when he is older/more experienced, and I feel in time he would be a great leader.

Hanji is a pretty good candidate, but Im unsure about her. She seems very quirky which, I think she would be a good leader but of the entire Scouting Legion I don't really see it to be honest, I mean I can see it but I don't think she would be my pick.

Levi is a great leader, but once again he's not Irwin. He is incredible at fighting, and he is good at decision making but I don't know if he would be as good dealing with the politics of being in a position like that. Also, I think he is great in battle, and probably feels like thats where he belongs, but if he was in a position like Irwin it probably wouldn't be best for him to be charging into battle as he has a whole faction to lead.

I think it would be someone else, Im unsure of who but maybe we haven't met that character yet who knows, also I don't expect to lose Irwin so early but I can see something like that happening, he is a phenomenal leader to me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It would have been Mike almost certainly but seeing how he's out of the running I'll go with either Hanji or someone new. Hanji has always been serious in proper situations (in the Manga at least) so her quirkyness shouldn't bring anything down, she's also capable of leading as well as fighting.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epictoads View Post
    It would have been Mike almost certainly but seeing how he's out of the running I'll go with either Hanji or someone new. Hanji has always been serious in proper situations (in the Manga at least) so her quirkyness shouldn't bring anything down, she's also capable of leading as well as fighting.
    Yeah, I thought about him, I even think he would be better than Hange but he's dead...
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

RIP Mike </3

I think the obvious silhouette Isayama built for us is that Armin and Mikasa are the next generation of Levi and Erwin. However, at the moment promoting a newly graduated trainee to Erwin's position of high command would be a bit unrealistic.. unless everyone else rejects the position.

Anyways, I still don't want to believe that Erwin will lose command at this point. I feel like he can still do his job even at a distance.. lol Or perhaps they will give him the special needle to regenerate his arm.

Jean x Mikasa

*Signature&profile photos do not belong to me, I do not know the original makers*

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner exotica's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Hanji is definitely the one! Even though she's a bit wacko (but wackoness is good, in this sort of era) but she knows her goals. Obsession with something actually leads one to think everything in different angles for that thing. I believe that since Hanji knows what Titans are capable of and also her experience says it all, she'd be a good choice.

But since Irwin has already someone in his mind, he'd definitely let him/her be the successor http://www.mangapanda.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/20. I don't think that Armin is a wise choice because first, he lacks some experience, and second, his becoming a Commander will result in some rebellion in the Scouting legion as well as outside it, since most of them will be expecting an adult and with experience. But it hasn't been pointed out that age really matters for the command, since Mikasa is more skilled than most of the experienced fighters, so our options are wide open.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly all three of them have serious flaws that I personally think disqualifies them from being the top leader of the Scouting Legion.

Levi: Lacks Irvin's charisma and brains.

Hange: Too eccentric and often times fails to see the big picture.

Armin: Too inexperienced. He'd be a great replacement for Irvine 10 to 15 years down the road though.

Gerger, Nanambe, Ness, and Mike: They'd be great candidates if they weren't dead...

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Gmuni's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Zacklay will probably take control himself since we haven't seen him do anything yet.

P.S. Don't forget Hanji may be out of commission for a while too after Bertl gave her that instant sun tan.
    Last edited by Gmuni; October 16, 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a little sad for Levi that he hasn't gotten a single vote though... lol

Jean x Mikasa

*Signature&profile photos do not belong to me, I do not know the original makers*

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N1kki View Post
    I am a little sad for Levi that he hasn't gotten a single vote though... lol
    That's what I said after I voted for him. He's been quietly in Irvin's shadow the whole time. It almost seems like they have a master-pupil sort of relationship, but I guess I'm the only one who's picked up on it so far lol

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yumpo View Post
    Already voting for Hange Zoe. It just would make sense if it's going to be her due to having more experience. Yes, Hange is obsessed with titans but its more played for comedic effect. When the job gets serious though, she pretty much acts like a real leader. When Ymir was shown to be a Titan, instead of obsessing over her, she's still focused on the first priority, that is plugging the wall(Chapter 42). When the Colossus and Armored Titans' identities were revealed, she was the one who ordered to go for the kill and abandon on capturing them. In fact, for the most part of the "Breach" of Wall Rose arc, she was pretty much leading a lot of Survey Corp squads up until she got injured: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/160518/...ch43_by_tdx/23

Armin still needs a few years for him to be in command. That's what I think. But if Hange can't recover from those injuries, he's probably next in line. And like you said, Levi wouldn't make sense as a commander. He's more of a fighter type rather than a strategist leader type.
    This, a million times over. Too many people seem to think Zoë is nothing but a mad scientist, but as Yumpo points out above, she is all business when it matters and she has experience commanding multiple squads at once-- both to capture and to kill titans. She's the one Erwin leaves in charge, and she's clearly a capable leader if you actually look at the scenes where she issues commands to multiple squads at once. Unfortunately, most of fandom seems to relegate her to being nothing but comic relief because of her quirkiness and passion for her work, which is like someone calling Armin a "crybaby" because he cried when he was losing his relatives and Eren. As with Armin, she is more than that.

Aside from her, I would have hypothetically considered Mike Zakarius.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked Hanji.

Personally though, I think either she or Levi will do, since I believe Erwin is a shitty leader anyway.

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast