Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Who should take over Irwins Command?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Levi

7 17.95%
  • Hanji Zoe

20 51.28%
  • Armin

8 20.51%
  • Somebody outside the legion

4 10.26%
New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: If Irwin loses command who should replace him?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If Irwin loses command who should replace him?

I think what the surviving members (until recently) of the SL have seen and had to do in the last 5 years still tops what the newbies went through (much as I love said newbies). Hardly anyone could have been prepared for what Erwin last ordered them all to do though. That was an especially extreme circumstance. I think that was why it was kind of amusing how suddenly they went from being in danger and surrounded by titans to having a class reunion on Reiner's titan's chest back there, lol...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes me wonder if any of the surviving members of the SL (excluding the 104ths) were the top 10 of their respective graduation classes (not that it matters as much when it comes to being in SL missions). But in terms of experience, theirs will definitely trump the new recruits.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member lolnameless's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no if.. as if Irwin has already lost, he won''t.
    Also, there is no mention of quitting his position in Ch. 51, so it will go unrealistically that an one-arm commander leading the team, riding horse, killing titans..etc.
    He will probably get a mechanical arm too!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TitaNick's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don't think Irwin's command is in jeopardy, I do think Hange is the obvious choice to replace him. While she has her eccentricities, they are based on her passion for knowledge to solve the titan problem and not just being weird. She's also a tough-as-nails commanding officer with an iron will, strong moral fiber, solid skills as a field commander (as demonstrated when she directed operations in Stohess), and is an heir to Irwin's win-at-all-costs philosophy.

Levi is probably due for a promotion to captain, but not to commander of the whole legion/corps.

For all his strategic gifts, Armin is still a kid and is better suited to an adviser role even in adulthood.

If I were to advance time and our core cast's ranks in a semi-realistic manner I'd see Jean eventually taking over, Armin as his top adviser, and Eren and Mikasa as the core of the new special ops squad. Eren being the weapon of last resort, with Mikasa acting as his body guard while he's in human form.

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

As of chapter 52 I think it's clear that Hange is replacing him (probably the best choice after Mike died). Even Levi comments on how she acted like Erwin. At least in the missions, Erwin can continue in the "inner battle).

(old thread I know)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member teiran's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 56 Discussion/Chapter 57 Predictions

i think erwin's replacement, the person he was talking about, is hange. armin is way too young and inexperienced; gotta give him at least 5 years before promoting him to the position that equals power and responsibility and.. stuff; no way erwin'd be thinking about him; and he considers he might die very soon....
    //
    that's why i've been so hyped about possible time skip. i'd like to see things being resolved with survivors from 104th in charge; i know that it's probably not going to happen but... a girl's gotta dream~
    Last edited by teiran; April 09, 2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: armin cutie wear a hoodie

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Marc Techie's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the replacement is Armin for these following reasons.

1. He may not look like a commander, but he plans like one.
    2. His and Erwin's thinking skills are on par.
    3. And finally, "Armin"-"Erwin" look at the names, ITS DESTINY.

I feel like the kid who's gonna be owning the Reeves company is a bit young but in the state humanity is in with few choices you only got what you got, and pick who's best suited for the position as I said before. It seems the old is being replaced with the new, Armin has the eyebrows like Erwin and even the name is similar. Old Team Levi looks alot like the new one. Oluo had a habit of sparking arguments and nearly shares the same hair color and style as Jean. Levi's replacement is obviously, Mikasa.
    Last edited by Marc Techie; April 09, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Just a perfect day

Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Erwin meant that he, unlike Eren can be replaced, since Eren is the only one who can transform into a Titan and is on the "good guys' " side. However I think that Hange would be the best replacement for Erwin should he die. Armin is smart, but inexperienced. Besides, a few chapters ago Levi told Hange when she decided to do both experimenting with Eren getting hard (lol) and a fighting against the central government at the same time, that this was just what Erwin would do.
    Fun fact: The names Armin and Erwin derive from the name Herman, which means 'soldier'. The name Armin is the 'closest' to its origin name of the two, being just the latin version of the obviously Germanic name Herman. Herman has to undergo several transformations to become Erwin. Herman>Armin>Irmin>Irwin>Erwin.

By the way, when will the statuses of the characters get updated? I swear, those things are about as entertaining as the manga itself.
    Last edited by TheOwl; April 09, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member teiran's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Techie View Post
    Armin has the eyebrows like Erwin and even the name is similar
    it's genetics i'm calling it they're related

what i meant is that i interpreted erwin's words as 'even if i drop dead tomorrow, there's someone to pick up where i left off' - and that'd have to be hange.

i love those parallels

armin - erwin
    mikasa - levi
    eren - hange
    sasha - mike
    i see jean as a future squad leader; and yeah he shares some personality traits with aurou but i don't think it's enough to say they're each other's parallels. k, nvm, i think it's getting kinda off topic...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Marc Techie's Avatar
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Hange, can be a good replacement, but I feel like its best if she remains just the scientist of the Scouting Legion, it seems right for her to take Erwins place because the experience and being older than everyone else, but at the end of the day Armin has been the genius of this manga on par with Erwin. Without Armin's perception Annie wouldn't be underground and this series itself would've changed a-lot. He may be inexperienced but when it comes to making the plays he only comes second to Erwin and even that is in question.

Levi's old team thought they were gonna get ran over by Annie during the chase but Levi trusted Erwin's plan, I don't think Hange has the ability to effect people like that. But I do know someone who does, and has been saving lives since the beginning, Armin.

P.S

Yeah this is off-topic if anyone willing to make a replacement post I'm totally in.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member PIXISSUUU's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we have to count Erwin out just because he lost an arm. We actually have never seen him kill a titan anyway, and he hasn't needed to command up until now. His job is to think two steps ahead and maneuver politically. Trying to slice up titans would only be a distraction while commanding a battle formation. At most, the physical requirements for him are to ride a horse and use 3DMG. He's not done yet.

But I think he will die soon. He's made too many gambles, and one is bound to catch up with him. I think he will get to a point in the story where he learns why Reiss is doing what he's doing and die almost immediately after. The only thing we get to see are his facial reaction, and a bubble from Reiss saying "and that's why this is necessary. After he dies, the Scouting Legion will dissolve and a few rebels from the 104th will probably follow Jean. That's what this has all been leading too right? Jean taking command?

IF the Scouting Legion survives though, I vote for Levi. When Erwin was out, didn't he already say that he issued orders, including reassigning the 104th to his own squad? Hanji CAN do it. I've been impressed by her abilities during the "kidnap the 1st MPs" mission, but I think the troops would get nervous following a known whacko. Command presence and trust is important, and by that measure Hanji is out. Armin too, since he's too green.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nesean View Post
    More recent ones: when Ymir took Historia in chapter 47, and chapter 50 with Armin. He's the one who was "giving orders".
    I like the way Jean knew exactly how the Female Titan would disrupt the formation, and realized that they might have to sacrifice their lives to prevent the SL's total annihilation. The other two were just staring at the "Megata's" nice ass, but Jean understood how the formation worked and decided on a course of action. He also figured out the point of the mission along with Armin (hanging out in the forest). He's shown a keen mind for tactics, operations, and strategy so far.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Erwin has to be replaced but only in the field... There is no reason for him to stop being the leader of the scouting legion. As far as replacing him in the field though.... IMO armin is not an option. He is definitely not a good option and without a doubt he does not even make for a mediocre option. Armin has no experience to speak of and his physical abilities are subpar the scouting legion itself. With only 1 trip outside the wall and 0 titan kills what can he possibly hope to achieve? Now, a bunch of people have died which actually does make the situation difficult. We don't actually know that many big names within the scouting legion. The only person I could actually fathom being a somewhat adequate or at least above mediocre replacement would be to some extent hange but thats it. Levi has the muscle but he lacks the brain and strategic thinking.... I am not sure armin would actually ever be fit to take erwin' place, I would think the bare minimum would be his smarts along with the ability to kill titans which he just might never have.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone talking about Armin being inexperienced because he's a kid, that's not true. All of the kids in SnK are going through war, they've pretty much lost all inches of immaturity.

There is no "kids and adults" separation anymore, if you're old enough to fight that's exactly what you'll do.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be hanji or Levi but ultimately I think by the end of the series Jean will be in charge of the survey Corp . I think he's been on that arc from the beginning.

New Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5