Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

  1. #1
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    人のこと言えるの? あんただってできすぎてるわ"ノア"なんて

    The person called Noa just made fun of this person because of her name and this is her reply.


    水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

    Here some guys just found a woman (which seem to be rare) and yells out this. I have no idea what they mean with 水に女.


    These are the first two, I'll post the rest later as I'm going over my translation.


    Thank you in advance ^^
    Last edited by ckrit; October 15, 2013 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Country
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    人のこと = "People (and the things related to them)"
    言える = "(You) may speak of"
    の = か in this context
    Putting that together, you get "You think you can talk about people?"

    あんただって = お前だと(いう) = "Speaking of you"
    できすぎてる = 出来る + 過ぎている = "(you) are overdoing it
    わ = feminine emphasis/ね

    "ノア"なんて = "with a name like Noa" (derisive)

    Putting that together, you get "Should you be saying anything about people? Don't you think you're overdoing it, especially with a stupid name like "Noa"?.


    In the second one, my first instinct is that 水に女 is short for 水に女がいる (there's a girl in the water).
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

  3. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    Thanks Aarowaim! The first one makes a lot more sense now. 水に女 is a bit strange in the context of this manga, so I'll just leave it open for later.


    I have another three sentences here:

    1) 人殺しをしたことだってある...

    It's the だってある that I'm not sure about.


    2) 相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような狂人ならともかく

    I've seen ともかく before at the end of a sentence and didn't quite get it, but in combination with なら I'm completely lost.


    3) しかし、 それはまだ12・3歳の少女だったんだ

    What does the author mean with 12・3歳 here? Can't be like 12 and 1/3 right? >_>
    Last edited by ckrit; October 15, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

  4. #4
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    人のこと言えるの? あんただってできすぎてるわ"ノア"なんて

    The person called Noa just made fun of this person because of her name and this is her reply.


    水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

    Here some guys just found a woman (which seem to be rare) and yells out this. I have no idea what they mean with 水に女.


    These are the first two, I'll post the rest later as I'm going over my translation.


    Thank you in advance ^^


    (1)人のこと言えるの? あんただってできすぎてるわ"ノア"なんて

    Look who's talking. Your name "Noah" is way too perfect.


    (2)水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

    Is it a hot day? Is the speaker thirsty? Are they in the desert?

    水に女!
    Water and a woman/lady! (=水と女)
    (If the image shows a woman in the water, Aarowaim's translation is fine as well.)

    ついてるぜ!*!こいつは!** !
    Great!** What a lucky day!*

    ---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    I have another three sentences here:

    1) 人殺しをしたことだってある...

    It's the だってある that I'm not sure about.


    2) 相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような狂人ならともかく

    I've seen ともかく before at the end of a sentence and didn't quite get it, but in combination with なら I'm completely lost.


    3) しかし、 それはまだ12・3歳の少女だったんだ

    What does the author mean with 12・3歳 here? Can't be like 12 and 1/3 right? >_>
    人殺しをしたことだってある...
    = 人殺しをしたことさえある...
    だって=さえ even
    I have even killed someone...

    狂人ならともかく, ...
    Maybe a lunatic could, but ...

    相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

    3) 12・3歳(じゅうにさんさい) = 12才か13才ぐらいの 

    , but that was just a 12 or 13 year old girl.


    EDIT:
    There is a correction on above. I added a strikethrough.
    相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

    相手が 人殺しをたのしんでするような 狂人ならともかく、12,3才の ...

    It means ....

    I would understand it if the/your opponent were a lunatic who enjoys killing others, but that was just a 12 or 13-year-old girl.

    Change words around and make your own translation
    Last edited by mikkih; October 16, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #5
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    Quote Originally Posted by mikkih View Post

    (2)水に女!!ついてるぜ!!こいつは!!

    Is it a hot day? Is the speaker thirsty? Are they in the desert?

    水に女!
    Water and a woman/lady! (=水と女)
    They're in a desert yeah, both women and water seem to be scarce so this one seems to make the most sense. I didn't know に could function as と.



    Quote Quote:
    人殺しをしたことだってある...
    = 人殺しをしたことさえある...
    だって=さえ even
    I have even killed someone...

    狂人ならともかく, ...
    Maybe a lunatic could, but ...

    相手が人殺しを楽しんでするような This part is describing a lunatic.

    3) 12・3歳(じゅうにさんさい) = 12才か13才ぐらいの 

    , but that was just a 12 or 13 year old girl.
    And I understand these perfectly now you've given me an explanation, thank you mikkih!

    ---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

    Another two:

    1) ボクは近くにあったコロニーの残骸に望みを託して食料を探しにいった... ーそし
    てそこに


    It's just 望みを託して that I don't understand, Weblio says something like to entrust someone with a wish, but that doesn't seem to work since ボク is the one who's actually going out to look for food?


    2) 気がついた時、ボクは血のついたリックをかかえてエレンのもとへ走っていたんだ...

    This one follows up the story the guy is telling in the previous sentence: he saw a girl there and then says the above. ボクは血のついたリックをかかえて is the part that confuses me.
    Last edited by ckrit; October 16, 2013 at 06:07 AM.

  7. #6
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    Just a slight correction on my previous post. I edited and added a strikethrough on 相手は.

    Spoiler show



    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit
    1) ボクは近くにあったコロニーの残骸に望みを託して食料を探しにいった... ーそし
    てそこに


    It's just 望みを託して that I don't understand, Weblio says something like to entrust someone with a wish, but that doesn't seem to work since ボク is the one who's actually going out to look for food?
    The guy went out looking for food hoping that he could find something in the wrecked colony near by. He was not sure if he could find anything but he was hopeful. Does it make sense? Btw, this is not a translation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit
    2) 気がついた時、ボクは血のついたリックをかかえてエレンのもとへ走っていたんだ...

    This one follows up the story the guy is telling in the previous sentence: he saw a girl there and then says the above. ボクは血のついたリックをかかえて is the part that confuses me.
    僕は(血のついた)リックをかかえ + 僕はエレンのもとへ走っていた

    I'm not sure which part you are struggling with. Unlike the sticky Help thread for non-JP speakers, please always add your own translation when you post questions on the main board. That way, it is easier to identify your problems.
    Last edited by mikkih; October 16, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #7
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    Quote Quote:
    The guy went out looking for food hoping that he could find something in the wrecked colony near by. He was not sure if he could find anything but he was hopeful. Does it make sense? Btw, this is not a translation.
    Yes! I get it now, thanks.

    Quote Quote:
    僕は(血のついた)リックをかかえ + 僕はエレンのもとへ走っていた

    I'm not sure which part you are struggling with. Unlike the sticky Help thread for non-JP speakers, please always add your own translation when you post questions on the main board. That way, it is easier to identify your problems.
    Ok I'll keep that in mind, sorry.

    It's the 血のついたリックをかかえ part I don't get. As I see it right now, I'd translate it as: "She gave a me blood-drenched lick, so I ran back to where Ellen was."
    Last edited by ckrit; October 16, 2013 at 09:01 AM.

  10. #8
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    Quote Originally Posted by ckrit View Post
    It's the 血のついたリックをかかえ part I don't get. As I see it right now, I'd translate it as: "She gave a me blood-drenched lick, so I ran back to where Ellen was."
    リック (Rick) is a guy/boy, not lick.
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #9
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Country
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A few sentences I'm having a hard time with

    ...seeing there's apparently another character, the rest of his story make a lot more sense suddenly. >_>';

    Thanks a bundle mikkih, you really helped me out.
    Last edited by ckrit; October 16, 2013 at 09:24 AM.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts