Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Marlo's MP Squad and the 104th

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Yumpo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marlo's MP Squad and the 104th

Quote Originally Posted by Astartes View Post
    Well didn't they mention the MPs number around 2000 soldiers and the Garrison somewhere around 5000? I don't remember if they give a number for the Survey Corps but I'd imagine its less than 3000, making the entire armed forces number less than 10,000 total. If I remember correctly Eren et al were in a class of 400-500 trainees. If there were 4 classes of 500 total, one for each region, that would mean the entire military would grow by over 20% every graduation, which seems way too high a number.
    Ah no. The Garrison's total is 30,000. The Survey Corp is 300. You're right with the MP though that they have 2,000 soldiers, but their actual fighting numbers are 5,000. The 3,000 additional are the Garrison under their command. And as far as I recall, there were no mention in the manga nor on the guidebook on how many Trainees are there in total. But the trainees are included in the head count for the Garrison.

So the military total is actually about 32,300. Not around 10,000. Remember though that this total is highly likely after the destruction of Wall Maria. Thus, if the growth and total doesn't make sense, it's probably because most of them were sent of to their deaths in the recapture operation. O_O

Of course, I'm not that good at math so don't take my word on the growth and total thing. But I sure as heck know how to add. XD

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Oh, forgot to add that 30,000 total in the Garrison is just nominal. There could actually be more out there.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird, I don't ever remember seeing the number 30,000 anywhere for the Garrison, although it does make more sense given the size of the wall. I'm sure the author didn't put much consideration into where the characters came from, given that they don't seem to be of much consequence to the story, although I could be totally wrong and a few or all of them will become prominent players later on with more fleshed out backgrounds.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Astartes
    The 30,000 came from the second guidebook, Outside Kou. And it seems like it was also written somewhere on the August 2011 issue of the manga, at least when I researched it:
    http://matome.naver.jp/odai/21376369...37881133291703
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/shonenmanga/.../29147872.html
    ^Note that the dates given on the posts made on these websites were well before 2013/09/08, which is the release date of the second guidebook. So yeah, it's most likely that the number 30,000 or more soldiers for the Garrison are true.

The author actually put consideration as to where the main characters came from. Almost all of the Trainees that we know of came from the South. Even Sasha and Connie came from the South. And you may want to consider as to what region did the Colossus and Armored Titan attack, which is also from the South District of Wall Maria, Shiganshina.

I guess we're practically just not paying attention to it that much.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As I said before I don't doubt that number at all given how big the wall is, just that I had never seen it used in either the anime or on any manga scanlations.

By characters I was referring to Marlow and the other rookie MPs, I'm well aware of the back stories of all the main characters.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astartes View Post
    As I said before I don't doubt that number at all given how big the wall is, just that I had never seen it used in either the anime or on any manga scanlations.
    Manga scanlations tend not to bother with these trivia infos, that's why you don't see them that much. And if they do bother, it's when they're using scans in tankobon volumes, which apparently isn't being used nowadays since they've already catched up to the magazine. And judging from when and where these infos were stated, it seems like the scanlations group for that specific magazine issue just really didn't care.

In the anime's case, they actually pretty much omitted some infos that were present in the manga, and cut some parts of it. Like for example, remember that Special-Target Restraining Weapons used against the Female Titan? Yeah apparently, the anime didn't mentioned that they were contained in extremely normal-looking barrels, which was actually mentioned in the manga volume extras. That's why Reiner didn't noticed any weapons or canons that were being carried inside the wagons.

Thus, you have the guidebook to give you some info, which I actually have raw scans of too. XD

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ArmoredTitan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are four squads yearly. 1 from each directions, N, E, W and S and it's 101st, 102nd, 103rd and 104th squad respectively. Marlo and the others came from the other squads. Just my wild guess tho'

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

unless the SL is formed immediately after the wall is built. Because the Wall is 105 years old right?
    return home to village? ME GUSTA

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredTitan View Post
    I think there are four squads yearly. 1 from each directions, N, E, W and S and it's 101st, 102nd, 103rd and 104th squad respectively. Marlo and the others came from the other squads. Just my wild guess tho'

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

unless the SL is formed immediately after the wall is built. Because the Wall is 105 years old right?
    Yeah, if there were 4 squads yearly it wouldn't add up. It could be that the 104th was split into 4 groups among the N, E, W, and S. Though that would make it seem odd that the top 10 came elusively from the south, unless there was a top 10 for each group.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Sigma. It wouldn't add up. It would make sense that the '104th' would be the period of time, rather than the squad number. I kinda said this in the last page, didn't I? XD.
    There should be a top 10 for each region. That's probably where the other MP rookies came from.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredTitan View Post
    But that doesn't really mean the SL was formed immediately based on that number. The implication of that number is that a military was formed immediately. Afterall, the 104th refers to the Training Corps, not the SL. XD

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2