Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: [JP] Help with what might possibly be a Japanese proverb?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kaibutsu's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

[JP] Help with what might possibly be a Japanese proverb?

私服もアリのゆる~い学校は好きだけど、うるさくってアホな男子・成沢真だけは苦手……

What I could make out: "____ likes school, however, ____ stupid guy. Narusawa Shin really is detestable."

Sorry if I seem daft, but I can't seem to make any sense from this sentence. No results from the dictionary for the bolded words...

It's taken out of this blurb (the whole thing below):

Spoiler show

Thanks!

--

Edit: New one below

> そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎
    > It’s like the trivial happiness and a bit of excitement you feel when you hit a drum!!

Is this right? Because it makes completely no sense to me and just thought it might just be a Japanese proverb instead (or maybe not. I'm new to translating and so far I suck at it).

And just a couple of translation checks if that's okay...

> どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
    > What kind of person after all could be denied to this extent?

> もう いいんじゃねーかな
    > Isn’t it enough?

> おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!
    > Should I explain what a real lolicon does or are you're so scared of can do in that short time?!

---
    Last edited by Kaibutsu; October 19, 2013 at 03:08 AM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [JP] Help needed for a sentence?

私服 = casual clothes/non-uniform
    ゆるい = lax
    So she is saying she likes lax schools that let you wear your own clothes to classes.

うるさくって is from うるさい (noisy, boisterous, persistent, annoying).
    By the way, 苦手 is more like "hard to deal with" (not good at, weak at.)
    So she is saying the annoying and stupid Narusawa is hard to deal with.

Hope this helps

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [JP] Help with what might possibly be a Japanese proverb?

`) そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当た

The last part is cut off. バチなんか当たらない or something.  
    (Literal: You won't get punished for ... ---> You shouldn't feel bad about ...)

バチが当たる: 罰が当たる

2) どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。

どんな人間だって: anybody would ...
    あんなに否定されたら <---Translate this part first.

そうな The end may be cut off. Example そうなっても仕方ない

3) > もう いいんじゃねーかな
    > Isn’t it enough? <----fine

4) > おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!

> Should I explain what a real lolicon does or are you're so scared of can do in that short time?!

Basic structure:
    おまえに【~を】説明してやろうか 
    Object・~を: 本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Just checking though - sentences cutting off simply indicate a reference to the context, right?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Aarowaim's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally yes. In Japanese, it is quite common to stop a sentence midway through when you don't have to say it. For example, 飲酒運転しますと... is something like an attempt to warn somebody that roughly means "If you drink and drive... (bad things will happen)". In Japanese, omission is generally polite.

2. どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
    Spoiler show

4. おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!
    Spoiler show

EDIT: I inserted the に explanation because it seemed like useful information for Kaibutsu, who seems to be a budding translator. You gave an excellent explanation Mikkih. I was filling in the blank between "scared of can do", which appeared an innocent mistake. I really do respect and trust you as a translator Mikkih, and seeing such an innocent mistake, I meant to cover for you
    Last edited by Aarowaim; October 17, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    There is a fine line between bad and good, and an even finer line between good and great.
    Even the most impossible dreams can become possible with time.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikki
    4) > おまえに本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを小一時間かけて説明してやろうか!

Basic structure:
    おまえに【~を】説明してやろうか 
    It seems that Aarowaim might have read my post in a way that I did not mean to present.

It is not "おまえに(を)."

おまえに【~を】説明してやろうか

What I meant was:

おまえに<Indirect Object>/ 【~を】<Direct Object> / 説明してやろうか <Verb>
    is the basic structure, where 【~を】direct object being 本当のロリコンの恐ろしさを.

小一時間かけて (taking a less than an hour) is not part of the basic structure of the sentence.

---------- Post added October 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was October 15, 2013 at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aarowaim View Post
    EDIT: I inserted the に explanation because it seemed like useful information for Kaibutsu, who seems to be a budding translator. You gave an excellent explanation Mikkih. I was filling in the blank between "scared of can do", which appeared an innocent mistake. I really do respect and trust you as a translator Mikkih, and seeing such an innocent mistake, I meant to cover for you
    Hi, Aarowaim

I think I see where you are coming from lol
    "scared of can do" is not my translation but Kaibutsu's. You can see > mark as well in her original post. I didn't translate the sentence in my post. I only explain the sentence structure to help her translate by herself.
    Last edited by mikkih; October 17, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I've got a question about どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
    I think you both described it as a friend who's comforting another person, but in this context it's the other way round? It's the person who's being negative (and sad) that's saying this. I'll post the two pages so that there's more context:

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Oh, and you were right, そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当た was cut off because I forgot to type in the るか at the end, so it's really > そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎

Spoiler show

This line is said by the friend. Then she adds 詰の規模が小さすぎていやんなるべさ!! afterwards (which I translated to "I'm talking about something on a much smaller scale though!")

So I was just wondering if バチ was a reference to a bee (since it's small) instead? And instead of 罰が当たる it's just 当たる
    So... そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎
    Would be: It's like that somewhat slight triumph you get when you (manage to) squash a bee!!
    Last edited by Kaibutsu; October 19, 2013 at 03:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibutsu View Post
    Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I've got a question about どんな人間だって、あんなに否定されたらそうな。
    I think you both described it as a friend who's comforting another person, but in this context it's the other way round? It's the person who's being negative (and sad) that's saying this.
    Regardless of the speaker (Tsutsui/guy or Ezomichi/girl)) , translation would not change much.
    For example: When you/a person get denied that much, anybody would be ... (be...=そうな...)
    or just skip be part.

So I was just wondering if バチ was a reference to a bee (since it's small) instead? And instead of 罰が当たる it's just 当たる
    So... そんなささいな幸せでちょっとウキウキしたからってバチなんか当たるか‼︎ Would be: It's like that somewhat slight triumph you get when you (manage to) squash a bee!!
    No, it is not a bee.

罰が当たる:reference link was posted before. (It's a set phrase.)

バチ=バツ

I assume you are thinking of ハチ (蜂) bee. It's a wrong kanji character for this.

Also, voiceless &quot;hachi&quot; becomes voiced &quot;bachi&quot; in a compound noun such as ミツバチ (bumble bees), but it doesn't get voiced by itself.

When you get a chance, check the difference between 当てる(transitive verb) and 当たる (intransitive verb)。 Transitive verb requires an object. In &quot;I hit a ball&quot; sentence structure, hit=当てる(transitive verb). Your sentence: you squash a bee! would require a transitive verb likewise.

Translation: ... したからってバチなんか当たるか!!! Nothing bad going to happen just because ...

This line is said by the friend. Then she adds 詰の規模が小さすぎていやんなるべさ!! afterwards (which I translated to &quot;I'm talking about something on a much smaller scale though!&quot
    詰 ---> 話(はなし)

話の規模が小さすぎていやんなるべさ!!
    =話の規模が小さすぎて、嫌(いや)になる!!
    Last edited by mikkih; October 20, 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: edit/add you/a person get

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply