Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: This series started off great, and now they are just scrambling in a circle of bad writing and no direction *Rant

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This series started off great, and now they are just scrambling in a circle of bad writing and no direction *Rant

Could not think of a particular prefix for this, but it will be a rant. Not too terribly long, just some stuff I want to vent off as I feel I have wasted my time.

In short: What the hell happened to this series? yesterday morning, I watched the whole anime series. I thought it was GREAT. Exactly the type of stuff I am into. I love the sense of how I never know who is safe cause at any given moment they can die. It ended on a cliffhangar for me, so I proceeded to spend all of THIS morning picking up where I left off through the manga and after finishing volume 50 5 minutes ago...WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

It's a complete, A COMPLETE, 180 in terms of character and sense of direction. So what, is this series damned to just chase itself in circles? Does it intend to go ANYWHERE with ANYTHING? What is this, Inuyasha? I am not even mad they they are playing it extra safe with their Tier 1 characters, but for the LOVE OF GOD, having a select few flip flop just out of nowhere and going nowhere with that? REALLY?

Spoiler show

I am more frustrated than anything. This series has such huge potential to be great but not at the expense of going where it's going now. It's a complete waste of time in it's current state. I don't want another Female Titan run around over and over again. Keep me guessing! That's what drew me in the first place.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This series started off great, and now they are just scrambling in a circle of bad writing and no direction *Rant

This is your opinion so I will try my hardest not to insult you because of it. Reiner, if you had paid attention, has created some sort of split personality due to the trauma of causing so much death to humanity. That's why he couldn't keep his secrets to himself anymore, and he wanted to be done with it. Also, there has been a some foreshadowing to Reiner's and Bertl's identities since the third or fourth chapter. There's plenty of foreshadowing in this series; some have even misinterpreted these hints and said that SASHA could've been a Shifter, or could've become a shifter in the future. Besides, it has been said that Bertl, Reiner and Annie come from the same village and you are fine with Annie being a Titan Shifter. What, did you think that the Colossal and Armored Titan were just Abnormal Titans, who just happened to have superior powers to the other Titans? The author actually knows very well where his story is going, he has even confirmed how many volumes are left til the manga ends.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This series started off great, and now they are just scrambling in a circle of bad writing and no direction *Rant

Make no mistake TheOwl, you are not insulting me, but my issues aren't with them being the titans. I had my own theories about Reiner and called it ever since the chapter when he was asking where Eren was in the formation.

My issue is how nonchalantly they revealed it. Armin was able to deduce what he knew about the Female Titan and Annie to make the correlation necessary. He even does it with Reiner. But this is after they are like "oh btw we are titans too lol." So what was the issue with just letting Armin make those deductions without the unnecessary out of character reveal by Reiner? It would make much more sense for Armin to make the distinctions and for Reiner to be like "k, you know what you got me." /titan activated.

I am just more frustrated than anything.

Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the problem is that you, watched the anime first and started where the anime left off. The problem is what something you did, you expected the Manga to continue the Anime.

Reiner was tired, tried of pretending to be something he's not. He spent 3 years doing it, risking his life for people he was sent to kill. It's messing with his head.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Maybe you just don't like Mysteries. I for one love mysteries, and also Reiner tried to explain everything to Eren in the beginning but Eren is far from understanding and very stubborn (sometimes for good reason, other times not so much.), Besides he changed his methods of trying to capture Eren, he made a decision and stuck with it, he has a mission and that holds priority and thats to get Eren to come along with them, not sure if it matters if its by force or not.

The Author seems to know where he is going, and no offense but to someone who just marathoned the manga maybe you should let it sink in before completely criticizing it, I can understand if you have complaints but you said you just read it this morning.

Also, this is really important because you said the characters did a complete 180. The anime had some different depictions of the characters here and there, while it was largely faithful to the characters, Eren isn't actually that obsessed with killing all Titans he's more complicated than that.

Don't know how you can say it has no direction when a LARGE part of this series is mystery and its also a thriller, so your not supposed to know exactly where the plot is going. But I can assure you its going somewhere, and I for one think the writing is great.

Maybe you just don't like the direction its going in, I can understand that I've felt that about some series before and yes it can make you fall out of love with them. So I don't know what to tell you there, If you really like it that much stick with it, who knows what could happen.

P.S. after reading your most recent post, I think like Nupope said I think its because you've just come off the anime. Also Attack on Titan is a monthly series, so while it may have been sudden for you that Reiner and Bertholdt revealed themselves to be titans, you have to understand some of us have been following this series for month's after annie's capture and it probably doesn't feel as sudden to us as it does to you.
    Last edited by leiatte; October 21, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Reiner had reasons to reveal themselves at that point. And it wasn't the author just going "I have no idea what to do now, let's do this" as there had been hints of then being the Titans since the start. Also, the writer has the series planned out until the end and is supposedly ending it within 8 volumes. He's also shown from the start that he does't make huge deals out of big deaths/reveals (which the Anime does). Even the biggest twists in the series like the Titan shifters and in Chapter 50 were hinted at early on in the Manga. I can tell you that with Reiner and Bertold as well they revealed/explained a LOT and progressed the plot more than it has at any previous point, not just saying that they were the Titans.

I think something happened when switching mediums, more things have been revealed\mysteries created in the last 16 chapters than pretty much the whole of the series before it. As someone who's read the whole Manga as well as watched the Anime, this part of it has been MUCH quicker paced and is definitely going somewhere faster. The same has happened to me when I've switched from screen to page half way through a series (and it doesn't help that you marathoned the whole Manga right away after watching half of it as an adaptation). The Anime being more focused on spectacle/action than story/character makes for a bigger change as well. You would probably enjoy it more if you began reading it at an earlier point to get used to the Manga and the build-up etc that it had. You're better of letting it sink in and maybe reading parts of it that Anime covered.

Honestly as someone who's read it for a while, I've found that it's gotten a lot better in the past 16 chapters. It's at the point I've been waiting for.
    Last edited by epictoads; October 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sigma's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how R&B did the reveal. I actually thought they were joking until they actually transformed. It was a major WTF moment. And the story is going places, Eren has a new power. Yimir is revealed to be a Titan, Irvine said he had a replacement. Annie is still in the crystal. There is a ton of stuff that could happen in the next few chapters.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you have the right to don't like it but Reiner is the one who made the reveal and it's because he broke mentally, it was foreshadowed that they were hiding something since the start of the manga. Reiner flunked, this could happen IRL but it was pretty WTF indeed, Isayama wanted us to have this reaction, remember too that the SC was planning to capture them.
    Could you tell me how you wanted the reveal to be? Or maybe you would have preffered if R&B weren't Titans?

You think that the series is predictable now I am curious to know your thoughts. Despite thinking this is a waste of time you are still reading it, great.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While I also am having a lot of issues with the current direction of the manga, I personally loved Reiner and Bernholdt's confession. It felt like it would play it in real life or something like Hunter x Hunter. The whole anti-climacticity of it all was much more shocking then it would have been if they revealed it some generic shitty evil monologue. I'm sorry that you were expecting Naruto level writing, and got something actually decent.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner eton's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nensense View Post
    The whole anti-climacticity of it all was much more shocking then it would have been if they revealed it some generic shitty evil monologue. I'm sorry that you were expecting Naruto level writing, and got something actually decent.
    Haha yes exactly. Look at the page:
    http://i25.mangareader.net/shingeki-...in-3914267.jpg

Reiner's confession is my favourite moment in the manga so far, I stared at that lower panel with the dialogue bubble for a few seconds when I first read it, and then looking at the placement of the characters / arrangement of the action in the panels, how slowed down everything feels, like a very weird atmosphere descending as you read those words Reiner is speaking. The way the next few pages progress is superb sequential art storytelling for me.

The fact it begins with the characters our brains are on fire about in the background of the panel with their dialogue actually coming secondary to the mundane stuff happening in the foreground, is sheer brilliance because it's so understated, visually in how the characters and the words are physically arranged.

This is information we'll later find out everyone else already knew, but to the reader it's utterly jarring. Placing it in the background is a blow to the reader two-fold, foreshadowing that this was all brewing beneath the surface for Eren/Mikasa/Armin/Hanji, in the front of their minds, and actually presenting the characters as oblivious / unprepared, when really someone like Mikasa is like a coiled spring in this scene, and reacts like a viper striking--well it's just some of the best use of the medium, visually, that the manga has so far attempted.
    Last edited by eton; October 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this page particularly amusing
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shing...n/c041/23.html
    Traces of The Past : InkBlazers | Batoto

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Dragonstone
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Reiner and Berts reveal was just fine. I think it was a combination of a few things:

-Reiner developing a split personality of being a soldier/warrior and it has taken its toll on him mentally.
    -He believes Eren is the "Coordinate" or can lead them to it which means they don't have to kill humanity anymore which I don't think he wanted to do in the first place.
    -Because he completed his mission he is able to now return home so I think its possible he didn't want to wait any longer and just impulsively blurted it out.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight: by analogy you watched the movie first, then picked up the third or fourth book in the series and complain that it does not continue the movie? Claiming it has "wasted your time" (who's forced you to finish it?), insulting the author's competence, insulting the series- disregarding that you're talking to a bunch of people who really like it, thus essentially insulting all of us.

You're of course entitled to your opinion, so I'll keep mine regarding my feelings about this post to myself.
    That said, Reiner's reveal was well foreshadowed- you say you've picked up the manga halfway though, so you wouldn't know, and interestingly constructed- as others have already explained.
    Your impression is probably also related to the shift from weekly episodes to monthly chapters.
    If you don't like it, just don't stick around. Otherwise, I would've given it time to sink in before forming an opinion....

New Reply