Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Foreshadowing in Armin's name? (Spoilers)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Foreshadowing in Armin's name? (Spoilers)

This is sort of a crackpot theory, but I'll go for it anyway. The name Armin is the modern form of the name Arminius, which is a the Latin version of the name Herman. In history (real-world) Arminius/Herman was a German, born in the late 1st century BC and died in the early first century AD, was taken as a hostage from the Romans in his youth, entered the Roman army, fought for Rome as an Auxiliary, became one of Publius Quinctilius Varus' - a Roman politician and general- most trusted man, and in the end betrayed him.

His betrayal consisted of persuading Varus to have his army (3 legions) to march through Teutoburg forest during the winter in order to quell a German rebellion. He had the other Germanic chieftains set up an ambush there. Varus fell for it and the Romans suffered one of the heaviest defeats ever. The Roman retreated forever from Magna Germania, although they attacked the Germans several times in the later years and defeated them just as many times.

My theory is that our Armin will do something similar; he will lure the Titan(s)/Shifter(s)/Warrior(s) in the forest of giant trees and they will suffer a heavy defeat that will cause them to retreat forever from... well I'm undecided between the territory of wall Rose, or territory of wall Maria (I hope it's the latter, about time humans reconquered it).

On the other hand the ambush might have already happened, twice in fact. The name Erwin comes from the name Irwin, that comes from the name Irmin, that comes from the name (drum roll) Armin. The temporary capture of the Female Titan was an ambush, and Annie was lured into the forest of giant trees, while the battle that happened in the last 2 chapters is not really an ambush, but it happened near the forest of giant trees and the Titans were lured there by Erwin.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foreshadowing in Armin's name? (Spoilers)

Hmm....

Authors surely like to use names that do have a meaning.
    Best example is Umineko.Do not read unless you're past EP 2 and 3.
    Spoiler show

Naruto also comes to Mind.

But yeah why not.I'll take consideration of this.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    Hmm....

Authors surely like to use names that do have a meaning.
    Best example is Umineko.Do not read unless you're past EP 2 and 3.
    Spoiler show

Naruto also comes to Mind.

But yeah why not.I'll take consideration of this.
    Never watched Umineko (should I?), but to be honest I truly hope I've guessed right. There's also a similar case in the Assassin's Creed comics. There was a guy named Herman Geier (yet another German name), enemy of the main characters pretending to be an ally. The main character found him out relying solely on a riddle he had heard years ago about vultures and eagles, and of course the fact that he knew what Herman's last name meant.

I'm glad you support my theory though.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner exotica's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this is not a crackpot theory at all. It does make sense. And the way you put it, I've some high expectations from Armin. Maybe he's weak and not strong in combat, but his strategic abilities will lead to a certain, massive, ambush of titans and humankind will succeed. And since Isayama does everything with a plan, so how about he does it too?

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Never watched Umineko (should I?)
    *read.
    Not neccessarily but it teaches one how Authors operate.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

New Reply