Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How deep is your canon...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How deep is your canon...

Quote Originally Posted by winterwyrm View Post
    @hoeru- Not true, it explicitly states that "cherry pie man" is his name, and that he is a "regular customer of the mock town pub" which is not possible,
    You seem to mistake "regular" as "habitual" instead of "ordinary" in that half sentence in the One Piece wiki. Appearing ordinary fits perfectly to Blackbeard and how he maintained a low profile. In that exerpt I posted, there's nothing about the Cherry Pie Man showing up in the bar repeatedly. He just met Luffy in that bar and almost got into a fight with him upon cherry pie, and the drink Luffy liked - translate yourself, please.

And why are you ignoring what I've told about the process of making books? OPBlue was released in between Volumes 24 and 25. Blackbeard's name and those of his crewmen Van Augur Doc Q and Jesus Burgess were revealed in Vol.25. And as databooks reflect the state of knowledge based on the tankobon - in this case Volumes 01 to 24 - it's overly clear that Blackbeard's name wasn't mentioned in the databook, as the name wasn't mentioned in the Summary of Vol.25, either. It's not an error in the databook. Oda just held the name back as it was about to be revealed.

There's clearly nothing to doubt about the canocity of databooks at this point, just because Oda's attitude has changed to reveal names in databooks some years later.

Well it is up for debate about marco, but he really looks like the anime writers didn't know he was supposed to be a significant character, if you watch the episode, he doesn't move much in the background, if they had known he would be a big deal, they typically show him looking up, or doing something to emphasize him, instead he is drawn as part of the background.
    Rewatch epiosde 151, please. He had dialogue and was talking with Rockstar. And around 16:50, he's no longer in the background. They only changed his hair color and didn't draw him too detailed. That's the only thing.

That's basically the same error, the Anime creators have been done upon Robin's wrong eye color - because of an error of Oda where he simply forgot to color her eyes on the colored cover of chapter 160.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it is up for debate about marco, but he really looks like the anime writers didn't know he was supposed to be a significant character, if you watch the episode, he doesn't move much in the background, if they had known he would be a big deal, they typically show him looking up, or doing something to emphasize him, instead he is drawn as part of the background.

Yes, I did list the wrong town though, I read that some time ago.
    Anime honestly should absolutely not be taken canon whatsoever, given that the animators tend take liberties or put in fillers or whatnot. Databooks shouldn't be taken as 100% proof or fact either, given that they're not always up to date with the latest chapters. As I've said, first source is always the best source, and in this case it's the manga. The SBS and databooks are secondary sources, and Oda can contradict them any time he wants to or mislead people if he chooses to.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I BELIEVE WHATEVER ODA TELLS ME TO BELIEVE! THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH!

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i read the manga and watch the anime and if its not in the manga im like hey thats filler and think no more of it.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the only grey zone is Strong World because the main character appeared in one panel of the manga but honestly making it canon would only weaken the story for me so I prefer to put it out of it. It does not seem like Oda will refer to it again anyway. The databooks added values are only some fodders names so there is very few arm considering them canon and I can't remember when was the last time a SBS said something really interesting.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    In the part where you said "OMG THIS ISN'T CANONNNNNN!!!!! " and the part where you said they are "doing a good job"
    If you the fillers and non-strong world movies don't strike you as being strongly non-canon then I was just saying I'm pretty much shocked and was listing down examples.
    I never even said that you said they were canon. I'm saying that I think the opposite and that the Non-Strong World Movies did a bad job excluding Film Z.
    Let me clarify: the fillers and non-Strong World films (aside from the Alabasta and Drum Island remakes since I haven't watched those) are doing a good job at maintaing the elements of ONE PIECE. Obviously the fillers and non-Strong World are not canon: anything they do might be given an ok by Oda at first, but it is not up to him to decide what should be done. Considering the fact that Oda doesn't have the final say, I think OP is doing a fine job with fillers in comparison to other series.

Anyway, I don't look for quality in fillers; I only want to be entertained.

Quote Quote:
    The bold and capital letters in your post is unnecessary. I pretty much replied to your post fairly.
    The "Lol?" in your post was unnecessary too since it gives a mocking tone to your post. I apologize for the bold and capital though.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 7pac's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

never watched an anime episode or a movie, just some fights that weren't as good as in the manga.

only manga 100%.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheLuffySmile's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

What appears/is stated in the manga ftw!
    Hey, Ace! Sabo's alive man! just thought you deserved to know.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually manga only (including SBS). Once there is anime involved it gets somewhat messy, so I usually stick to what is being written on paper. Databooks are an exception since I came to the quite shocking realization that in many mangas and animes the information in the databook is not absolute. Best OP example would be that in one databook they said that Cutty Flam was dead and *surprise surprise* it later was contradicted by the manga, saying that it was Franky all along.

So, in a nutshell, manga only for cannon, anything else (anime/ movies/ databooks) for headcanon.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity jaymizzo's Avatar
    I had a smaller one but i guess i left it at home
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga only.

The anime I use as a way to see how an attack would look like in real time if I hadn't imagined it myself or to hear Robins voice. Actually, I mostly watch the Anime to hear and watch Robin (would be obsessed with it if Booney was more involved), that and a side of seeing cool attacks etc. Anything else like detours or passage of time I think of as filler (say an additional attack that was not in the Manga, Filler)
    "Man hands misery onto man" - Philip Larkin

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SerenePhenix View Post
    Best OP example would be that in one databook they said that Cutty Flam was dead and *surprise surprise* it later was contradicted by the manga, saying that it was Franky all along.
    Which one would that be?!

Apparently, there's much misinformation about the One Piece databooks' contents among fandom. Cutty Flam nor Franky were mentioned before One Piece Yellow, and in that Franky's background was pretty much summarized what happened in the manga. Iceburg thought that Franky died the night, he tried to stop the sea train.
    Last edited by hoeru; November 16, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Which one would that be?!

Apparently, there's much misinformation about the One Piece databooks' contents among fandom. Cutty Flam nor Franky were mentioned before One Piece Yellow.
    I admit that it wasn't me who found it but a friend of mine; I also admit that it was long enough ago for me to have forgotten which datatbook it was but I do remember how we discussed the issue...

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Either way, databooks aren't complete information, but information that manga has presented so far. There's no way to tell whether Oda will go from "this character died" to "this character survived!" two or three databooks later. Databooks only tell us what happened up to the time the databook was written with some additional info. I honestly don't understand why people keep saying to completely trust the databooks.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's like people completely ignore that data books would never spoil important plot points and of course the editor/designer might make a mistake here or there. Neither Oda or his assistants are unfailable.
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 17, 2013 at 03:48 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

So, if Sabo is still alive, that means the databook was wrong. Therefore, never use databook in debates again, Oda somehow gets his own manga wrong.

Though in the next databook, we'll likely see Sabo being alive if it's true and what happened after his "death" if it's explained in the story.

Databooks. Lulz.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast