Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Need feedback for a manga idea

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Need feedback for a manga idea

What up, everybody.

Please tell me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm new here.

I've been drawing manga privately, i.e. for myself, for 14 years now, but until now, I have never had the opportunity to get really serious about my works.

I draw mostly manga pictures and stories, currently using Manga Studio 5 EX on a convertible tablet-laptop that sits on an Air-Desk.

I have had this idea swimming in my head for the past couple months.

It is a manga story I'd like to draw.

Here is a brief description:

Title: Changing Stiles

Storyline: On the verge of graduating high school without a boyfriend, detached artist Fancy Stiles has a humiliating first date with the man of her dreams, so she uses a magic pen which changes her into her exact opposite, lively, sociable, and charming, and then tries again, with the result of impressing her date the second time. But when her principal threatens to expel her for what she did as her opposite self, she must learn to believe in her true strength -- before she loses her dream date, her chance to graduate, and her identity -- in order to stop her deceptive, possessive and destructive alter-ego from killing her true self entirely.

Now, before I start the manga, I would like to ask the community some questions about this story, to see if I'm going in the right direction. Feel free to answer whatever questions you want to, and take your time. I'm in no rush. I just need some feedback from real people like you.

1. Does the above storyline evoke any feelings in you?
    1a. If yes, what are they, in single words (wonder, suspense, romance, excitement, confusion, etc.)?
    1b. If not, what feelings would you like this story, or any other I create, to evoke? I.e. What single-word feelings do your favorite stories evoke in you? (E.g. My favorite stories evoke feelings of wonder, fear, suspense, romance and joy.)

2. Are you male or female?

3. Are you in school or college, or not, and if not, have you graduated?

4. Do you have kids?
    4a. If so, how old? And do you think they would be interested in reading this story?

5. Are you single? Divorced? Married? Engaged? Dating? Widowed?

6. Do you read physical books, digital ebooks, both, or neither? Do you read webcomics?
    6a. If you read physical books, ebooks, or both, what are the top 3 types of outlets (big chain stores, author websites, specialty shops, etc.) from which you buy them? From which 3 specific outlets do you most frequently buy them?

7. Do you buy comic books, graphic novels, and/or ebooks, or do you mostly read free content online?
    7a. If you buy books and/or ebooks, would you buy this story based on the above storyline?
    7b. If yes, how much would you spend on it, tentatively a 220-page manga story in one volume?
    7c. If no, what, if anything, would convince you to buy this story? What one-word feelings must the story evoke that you're not feeling?

8. Would you like to see this story as a free webcomic before you decide to buy? As a free ebook on Amazon/B&N/etc.?

9. For those with their own websites: If I were to complete and release this story as an ebook and/or physical GN, and create an affiliate program where I would pay you the price of the book if you sold it to, say, at least 5 other customers (via an affiliate link to one of my outlets on your website), would you buy the book?
    9a. If not, what terms would an affiliate program I would make need to provide in order for you to sign up?

10. If I were to advertise this story, via banners, email, social media, etc., how likely would you be to buy this story based on the above storyline? More likely, less likely, or not at all likely?
    10a. If less or not at all likely, what about ads turn you off?
    10b. If more likely, what ads would influence you the most? What features would they contain?

11. Does the cover WIP grab you and make you want to know more?
    11a. If so, I'll keep it and color it.
    11b. If not, what about the cover doesn't work for you? What feelings should the cover evoke in you that it currently doesn't?

12. Are there any other thoughts about this you have?

I graciously thank you in advance for your feedback.

PS. If you have questions, post them, I will answer them the best I can as soon as possible.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member quoux's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need feedback for a manga idea

1. Does the above storyline evoke any feelings in you? It reminds me of doctor jekyl and mr. Hide! Which is very interesting. It also reminds me of my girlfriend
    1a. If yes, what are they, in single words (wonder, suspense, romance, excitement, confusion, etc.)? Excitement, romance, suspense
    1b. If not, what feelings would you like this story, or any other I create, to evoke? I.e. What single-word feelings do your favorite stories evoke in you? (E.g. My favorite stories evoke feelings of wonder, fear, suspense, romance and joy.) all of the above!!

2. Are you male or female? Male

3. Are you in school or college, or not, and if not, have you graduated? College

4. Do you have kids? No
    4a. If so, how old? And do you think they would be interested in reading this story?

5. Are you single? Divorced? Married? Engaged? Dating? Widowed? Dating

6. Do you read physical books, digital ebooks, both, or neither? Do you read webcomics? All if the above!!
    6a. If you read physical books, ebooks, or both, what are the top 3 types of outlets (big chain stores, author websites, specialty shops, etc.) from which you buy them? From which 3 specific outlets do you most frequently buy them? I haven't in a while, but half price books or amazon!

7. Do you buy comic books, graphic novels, and/or ebooks, or do you mostly read free content online? I don't but graphic novels :T
    7a. If you buy books and/or ebooks, would you buy this story based on the above storyline?
    7b. If yes, how much would you spend on it, tentatively a 220-page manga story in one volume?
    7c. If no, what, if anything, would convince you to buy this story? What one-word feelings must the story evoke that you're not feeling?

8. Would you like to see this story as a free webcomic before you decide to buy? As a free ebook on Amazon/B&N/etc.? Well I love web comics, so yes!

9. For those with their own websites: If I were to complete and release this story as an ebook and/or physical GN, and create an affiliate program where I would pay you the price of the book if you sold it to, say, at least 5 other customers (via an affiliate link to one of my outlets on your website), would you buy the book? Maybe I'm not sure
    9a. If not, what terms would an affiliate program I would make need to provide in order for you to sign up?

10. If I were to advertise this story, via banners, email, social media, etc., how likely would you be to buy this story based on the above storyline? More likely, less likely, or not at all likely? More likely
    10a. If less or not at all likely, what about ads turn you off?
    10b. If more likely, what ads would influence you the most? What features would they contain? Just pictures and author name, maybe brief description

11. Does the cover WIP grab you and make you want to know more? A little bit
    11a. If so, I'll keep it and color it.
    11b. If not, what about the cover doesn't work for you? What feelings should the cover evoke in you that it currently doesn't?

12. Are there any other thoughts about this you have? Keep up the good work

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need feedback for a manga idea

Thank you for your feedback, quoux! I'm glad you like the story idea, and thank you for the compliment at the end. Just a few more responses and I'll know what direction to go in.

Again, thanks!

New Reply