Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Dissonant Underground and Synchromatic

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kiseki's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Berserk - Band of the Hawk Dissonant Underground and Synchromatic

Ettou. I'll be sharing manga pages here. About the titles, Dissonant Underground and Synchromatic are two separate titles. While DissU is a series, Synchromatic is my NaNoMangO pitch. I'm currently revising DissU right now, so what I will be frequently sharing would be Synchromatic's progress.

Note: Synchro is done all in pencil, except for the text and borders. In NaNo's challenge, we were given several options on how we were going to complete our manga/comics for the next 30 days. I chose to go pencil lines and shading.

Let me share the chapter cover for Dissonant first:
    Spoiler show

And then Synchromatic's sketched chapter cover as well. (Depending on the feedback from NaNo, I'll be completing the manga pages once the challenge is over.. which means, inking, toning and the rest of the works). I'll add this in: The manga covers for Synchromatic are all done traditionally-- mixed media.

Spoiler show

A snapshot of the cover work in progress (I don't have an airbrush, so I used waterbased alternatives on top of copics).

Spoiler show

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dissonant Underground and Synchromatic

I've finished my page quota for tonight, so I'm sharing Synhromatic's itty-bitty banner here. NaNoMangO'll be the end of me yet! -laughs-

Here be the start of it all! -laughs- Forgive the seemingly dark pages. Bleaaargh. I usually start working during the night, so-- yeah. Dark snappies. Like I said, the option I chose for this challenge had me penciling everything except the texts.

**Note: Reading direction is RIGHT TO LEFT.**

Spoiler: Synchromatic First Page. show

---------- Post added November 03, 2013 at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was November 02, 2013 at 11:56 PM ----------

Prior to starting on Synchromatic, NaNo had us coming up with memes for warmups before November started. On the way, Nao-- my protagonist's name-- went through a few subtle changes in design. From being expressionless, to quite aloof.

Let me share how the fourth meme turned out! ^_^
    Spoiler: Work in progress. Inking. show

At the moment, my console is down so my tones and edits had to be done straight from the tab. Nope, no drawing tablet. Just the good ol' handheld and blunt stylus.

Spoiler: Adding digital screentones. show

Spoiler: Finished meme. show

It takes a little getting used to, but when there's a way-- make do! Just a side note.. my avi and sig were also done in the same manner.

Spoiler: WIP for avatar. show

---------- Post added November 04, 2013 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was November 03, 2013 at 12:19 PM ----------

I finished the third page quota tonight! Here's Synchromatic's second penciled page! Most likely by tomorrow, I'll be stealing some time to get the next pages scanned instead of taking snapshots. OTL

Spoiler: My camera sucks! Synchromatic Second Page. show

By the way, I have a Ten-Step compilation of how I drew the protagonist's Fused form. Is it alright to share it here?

---------- Post added November 06, 2013 at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was November 04, 2013 at 01:16 AM ----------

I've finished a few pages right now. I'm a page behind schedule so I'll be catching up later. Here are my latest pages!

Spoiler: Huge image warning. Crappy camera, Synchromatic Page 3 show

First panel.
    -sfx- Shaaaaa-!

Nao: I better send Aragaki a mental beacon. He should know where I am.

-sfx- *Rustle*

Nao: ---?! What was that?

-sfx- Do do do do-! *fast movement*

-sfx- Shuff-!
    ???: What do we have here? A human?

Next page!

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 4, sucky camera. show

1st panel:
    ???: I've never tasted human Life Code before. Will you--? Let me taste--!
    -sfx- *whooshing*

2nd panel:
    Nao: Tch-! Like that's going to happen!

3rd panel:
    =Activate Code: "Kekkai"!=

-sfx- Fwooooo--!!
    Nao: Nnnh!

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Spoiler: Synchromatic Pages 5-6 (Spread) show

-sfx- *leer*

???: That's no use, boy. How could you hope to deal with me using that?

-sfx- *glow*

Nao: Crap!

-sfx- Whooooosh!
    *shield shattering*

Nao: -thought- You see--
    Last edited by Kiseki; November 06, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner RinGO321227's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

スゲーー!!!やるな、お前!!!
    全力で夢をおいかけろ

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the panels look good...i like the style...keep going ^ ^

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Really outstanding work, Kiseki! I love your drawings; they're detailed and easy to follow which I assume will end up being important especially when you add the flow of text too!? You don't want to make each panel look so busy and clustered. So I think you've got a great balance from what I've seen. =) Synchromatic Pages 5-6 (Spread) looks great!

It's interesting that you use a tab and stylus to work on your manga as well. Do you find it easy to navigate on that? May I ask what program you are using on the tab? The sneak peak of the colourings on the first post has really got me attached and I will definitely be following your progressions in this thread. Good luck and please don't stop sharing!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzee View Post
    Really outstanding work, Kiseki! I love your drawings; they're detailed and easy to follow which I assume will end up being important especially when you add the flow of text too!? You don't want to make each panel look so busy and clustered. So I think you've got a great balance from what I've seen. =) Synchromatic Pages 5-6 (Spread) looks great!

It's interesting that you use a tab and stylus to work on your manga as well. Do you find it easy to navigate on that? May I ask what program you are using on the tab? The sneak peak of the colourings on the first post has really got me attached and I will definitely be following your progressions in this thread. Good luck and please don't stop sharing!

I'm glad the paneling works for you! And thank you! I believe I still have room for improvement, and I hope I'll be able to do so as I stay longer here!

Yes, I had to make do with a tab and stylus since my own console's down. Luckily there are apps that can somehow help. As for the app itself, I use two and intercross my edits with them. Photoshop Touch and Sketchbook Pro. User wise, Sketchbook is friendlier and convenient. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by mugenx View Post
    the panels look good...i like the style...keep going ^ ^
    I'll do my best! Thank you so much!

I'm working on the next page. I'll be done in an hour or so. For the meantime..
    Spoiler: This is how the table currently looks like. show

As you guys can see, I only had a brush, drawing, gel and calligraphy pens at my disposal for inking. Sadly, we don't have special nibs available so I had to make do.

---------- Post added November 08, 2013 at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was November 07, 2013 at 11:45 PM ----------

Yeah, see we're going through Storm Signal 4 here at the moment, but I'm still plastered to my desk. -laughs- It's midmorning here, gloomy and really cold-- it would be perfect to sleep all day, but first! Page quota! Will follow with another page soon!

**Note: Reading direction is RIGHT to LEFT! Large image warning!**

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 7, (8 of 30) show

Artist comment: The Virus looks like sh**. XDDDD

#####

???: *emerges* Don't disappear so easily, boy!
    [Code Identification: Virus. Type, Corrupter]

-sfx- Whoosh-!
    Virus: I haven't had fun in a long time!

Nao: Oh, hell no.
    Nao: (thought) -- this is why Troubleshooting sucks. This really is a thankless job!

#####

So the story is starting to drop hints of what all this is about. XD Bah, this makes me look like a geek.

---------- Post added November 10, 2013 at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was November 08, 2013 at 11:30 AM ----------

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 8 (9 of 30) show

I took a while, but am following this up soon with the page quota. ^_^

#####

-
    KABOOM!

-sfx- Hssssssss-

Virus: Ah. Smart one.

-sfx- shuff. *lowering weapon(?)

Virus: No matter. *licks lips* The human couldn't have gotten far.

=Teleport Code Level 2, Deactivate=

Nao: ...
    -sfx- Drip. *blood trickling*

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 9, 10 of 30 show

*wipe wipe*

Nao: That was strong. If I hadn't moved too soon, I would l have been done for. A nick's nothing compared to it.

Nao: ...

Nao: What a fix this is. What's taking Aragaki?

-sfx- Shaaaaaa! *rustle*

???: You called?
    Nao: ?!

---------- Post added November 12, 2013 at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was November 10, 2013 at 03:57 PM ----------

New page! Although a bit off the right side has been cut when I took the snapshot, and the lower corner's blurred out.

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 10; 11 of 30 show

#####

-sfx- Shaaaa!

Nao: Aragaki!
    Aragaki: You're a wreck. What a sight, Nao.

Panel 2:

Nao: That's because you took your sweet time, you bastard.

Panel 3:
    Aragaki: What can you expect from a Bad Sector? Too much interference. It's hard to sort through bits, you know. You have bad luck, getting blown off my back by that Data Vortex.

-sfx- *cracking*

Panel 4:

----
    Whoosh.

Aragaki: Watch out!

Panel 5:

-sfx- Shraaaak-!

Nao: -- !!? Ah! *jerked away*
    Last edited by Kiseki; November 10, 2013 at 09:49 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope the lack of updates doesn't mean you're slacking off.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I have several pages put up already! Gomen ne for taking a long time to update here! -laughs-

Spoiler: Pages 14 and 15 (15,16 of 30) WIP shot! show

Here are the following pages!

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 11 (12 of 30) show

#####
    -sfx- GASHAAAAAA! *tremendous fissures*

Nao: W-WOAH! Where did that come from?!

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 12 (13 of 30) show

#####
    -Sfx- *mental crackle*

Nao: -Thoughts- Danger!

=Code Activate: "Kekkai" (Shield) Level 5=

Panel 2:

-sfx- do do do do *spikes falling*

Nao: Come on, load faster!

Panel 3:

=Kekkai fully loaded.=

Nao: Barrier code execute! On!

-sfx- Pa- Pa- Pa-! *spikes disintegrating*

Panel 4:

Nao: Aragaki!

Aragaki: I'm on it.
    =Charging Binary Surge.. 100%=

Spoiler: Synchromatic Page 13, 14 of NaNo count show

---------- Post added December 02, 2013 at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was November 21, 2013 at 08:54 AM ----------

NaNo is over! I'm going to start working on that first anthology volume -- but first, character designs and sheets. I have about three writers (all friends) working in different genres. XD Here comes the storm of discussions and storyboarding. >_<

---------- Post added December 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was December 02, 2013 at 07:58 PM ----------

おはよ! その美術品わWIPです。終わりでわありませんです。^^ 私わ日本語を勉強します。まだ。。。ugh, my grammar needs working on. orz well, that's what the lessons are for.

---------- Post added December 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was December 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM ----------

Well, it's in a few hours. -laughs-

---------- Post added December 30, 2013 at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was December 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

Zello! Everyone's getting ready to celebrate New Year's! Also starting to go over my work one by one. Have to finish the side projects before sitting down for the main manga anthology pages. /o/

SAI decided to be friends with me! Finally! ~cries~

---------- Post added December 31, 2013 at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was December 30, 2013 at 04:41 PM ----------

Man, and I didn't end up joining the NaNo Christmas gala altogether! T_T -sobs in the corner- But this would be the least I can do for now. How's everyone? New Year's in a few hours!

I know I haven't been here long, but I had so much fun here that I just can't skive off greeting you guys, too! ^^

Last edited by Kiseki; November 20, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

12. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply