Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Scanning in Grayscale Mode

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Scanning in Grayscale Mode

So I scanned my book in grayscale mode, as suggested by most of the online scanning guides, but they somehow turned out like this.

Note: I used the photoshop cs2 import function, 300 DPI with both brightness and contrast set at zero.

It does look normal when I scanned it a as a colour image, then converted to grayscale in photoshop.

So which method should I use, colour or grayscale mode? If it’s the latter case, how am I supposed to adjust the settings in order for it to look like normal unedited raws?

I should add that the 1st scan “does” look fine once levelled, but I’m afraid it won’t work out when it comes to pages with heavy gradients… Here's the levelled version.

Would really appreciate any help, thanks.
    Last edited by Deruaz; November 03, 2013 at 12:45 PM.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gradonil_Ral's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scanning in Grayscale Mode

What type of scanner are you using? If it's a multifunctional device then you won't get good results in grayscale (I've only tested HP's multifunctional devices).
    Actually, the results in color mode won't be amazing either, but they should be enough for a MQ/HQ scanlation.
    ONeoRa is always looking for interesting people to join our ranks.
    Visit our forum to apply: http://www.oneora.net

New Reply