Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why didn't Monkey D. Garp save or rescue Portgas D. Ace?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why didn't Monkey D. Garp save or rescue Portgas D. Ace?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    That was also the reason he had such a high bounty.
    Hardly. We clearly saw him raising his bounty continuously by fighting more and more pirates in the NW. Just like Luffy, who never had a bounty increase because he's Dragon's son.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp did technically save Ace by letting Luffy punch him and get past. His duty as a Marine and his ideals are why Garp didn't want to save Ace, because Ace was a pirate.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shader's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

This is actualy a hard and tricky question. The truth here is on a Garp's side. He is marine, not a simple low ranked one, he is a legendary marine and Ace is a criminal in his own way he is a legendary criminal as well. The only reason for marine corps to exist is to capture and judge the criminals, there is no family in duty, there is no exceptions in rules. What you are suggesting is a double-standart actions "yes, he is an infamous criminal..but he is my family so..". Na-ah this kind of logic should never exist this will do nothing but harm to everything.
    Just to throw in some examples:
    Byakuya in Bleach, in first arc he was actualy pretty much as the Garp, completly the same story, Ichigo tried to convince him wrong, but in my point of view Byakuya was 100% right.
    And heres another one, not a shonen thou, Breaking Bad show (SPOILERS INCOMING!) when you are an agent of narco control and your family is a famous narcodealer, you just let it slip case hes your family? Hell no.
    Double-standarts are a dangerous thing and im glad Oda is fighting this thing atleast in manga.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There is clear difference between bad and good pirates in OP though, even if a bit morally ambiguous, especially when pirates practically rule over half of the Grandline.

Garp was duty bound, but as M3J mentioned, he even gave Luffy a chance, by not KOing his grandson in the war.

edit:
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 05, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

garp is a true mans marine, he has a strong sense of justice and is one of the few marines who has not fallen to corruption

i can respect his stance on the ace execution platform, he was going to allow the execution to take place because to him, ace chose the pirate lifestyle

so ace reaped what he sewed

however when luffy went to save him, he did let luffy punch him without much resistance, almost as if saying "thank god now ace can be saved and i dont have to be the one to do it

and you could see his love for ace burning strongly when he wanted to kill akainu and sengoku had to stop him

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roarchu View Post
    When Garp met Luffy he said "I heard that you met your father in Logue Town". The marines could have known that Dragon was there, but how could Garp have known that they met? Maybe if Smoker reported that Luffy was saved by Dragon, but then again Garp isn't the kind of guy who pays attention to reports. I think it could mean that Garp had direct communication with Dragon at one point in between the Logue Town incident and meeting Luffy after Enies Lobby.
    Even if Garp doesn't take attention to reports, I think he would get to know that the world most wanted man saved his son for reasons unknow to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp didn't save Ace because as a man, he had made his decision to set out to the sea and become a pirate; same as Luffy. Though we know from flashbacks that Garp had wanted both his grandkids to be Marine officials. Moreso, he has his own path to follow, which means him upholding the justice which the Marines stand for against pirate, however different his own tone of justice may be.

As we've seen, he was not beyond attacking Luffy at Water 7, though gave him a fair warning to try to escape and even stood between him and Ace at the platform, but in the end couldn't hit his grandson and essentially "turned a blind eye".

Not to say that his decision not try to free Ace was easily taken( he had even left his position at Marineford to secretly visit Ace) or without regret, but again, each had made their own decisions and so consequences...

I don't think there's much else to add or doubt there's many other ways to interpret his decision to not save Ace, it's all pretty much laid out in the manga for us to to see and not at all surprising to me. So, that being said, let's avoid delving into discussions about Marines and their sense of justice and/or corruption; there are threads for such topics.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp was fairly certain that Luffy would be able to save Ace. The part where, Garp let Luffy pass him on the bridge, shows that family is important to Garp, and let Luffy pass without much effort. The reaction from Sengoku is key here, as he noted that Garp let Luffy passed with little to no resistance. Garp know his grandson better than anyone else, and the person that would be able to rescue Ace, Luffy would be the one to do it.

Luffy was able to rescue Ace and both was free, but the outcome of Ace death was his own doing. Sound harsh, but it was Ace who decide to meet heads on with Akianu. Even one of the WB commanders was telling Ace to not challenge Akainu. As we all know the outcome. So the question, why didnt Garp save or rescue Ace? does not apply here, Ace was free and Luffy going through all the trouble to rescue Ace was for naught. But in Ace's death the progress and growth of Luffy is shown, and with any good story, progress is good.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp nearly lost his shit when Akainu killed Ace. If Sengoku had not restrained him, he would have tried to kill Akainu.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/17705/o...franky-house/7

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Well only Garp new Ace's real identity. He kept it from the marines even though he was employed by them. He even wanted Ace to become a marine to protect him.

He cried when Ace was going to be executed. Even Ace showed surprise when Sengoku announced that Ace is Roger's son, which means it was a well guarded secret.

While the pirates are all about ambition, the marines are about a sense of Justice. Garp's sense of Justice is quite strong, or atleast at the level of Aokiji if not higher. He even stopped Marco from rescuing Ace, but emotionally, family is very important to him.

There is no questioning Garp's love for Ace, he treated Ace just like he would treat Luffy inspite of not being blood related. besides that, Makimo;s comment answers this perfectly:"garp couldn't save Ace even after being so close to him" a regret Garp will always have
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Garp nearly lost his shit when Akainu killed Ace. If Sengoku had not restrained him, he would have tried to kill Akainu.

I'm puzzled that this thread got so far.
    This is all that should be required to understand Garp's mindset back then.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheLuffySmile View Post
    ^ I perfectly understand your reasoning, and I admit that I am being biased. I just think that even if you have very firm beliefs, seeing your grandson, beaten and chained, that that would awaken something inside you. Making you take action. Though we did see as you say, that Garp struggled throughout the war to hold himself back. He is a hero of the Marines, an inspiration and a role model. I just can't forgive him for not saving Ace when he had the chance. Later, we get to know just how hard Ace's death strikes Garp in the heart. At first he is hell-bent on murdering Sakazuki, and when he is not able to do that, he resigns from his position and the Marines. Dedicating his time to training young recruits ( I'm hoping Coby & Helmeppo). I do remember that he had to keep his title though, and officially "stay" in the Marines.
    Hes been fighting pirates long before either of them were born was his reasoning. He was in an impossible position where if he had made a betrayal it could've meant a complete defeat for the navy against whitebeard seeing as how important this war was, and it would've made nowhere safe in the world, least thats what the marines claim. And had to chose between that and the life of his grandson so

I SAY he did what he could for ace, i believe he wanted ace to escape and thats why he left luffy knock him, pretty much all he could do was not interfear. he made the right choice and it took its toll on him causing him to retire immediately after.

He made the hard choice but the right one, and the correct one piece choice as well.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

"tried". I think, Garp would've "killed" Akainu. Being the reason why, Sengoku put all his strength down into stopping him from doing so. I'm surprised, Akainu survived the beating given to him by Whitebeard. Even Oda, has sympathy for his characters.

"I did battle with ignorance today and ignorance won".

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2