Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Is Kubo a fan of MTG?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tonix's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Kubo a fan of MTG?

It's recently occurred to me that this 'final arc' of Bleach has several similarities to an old Magic the Gathering storyline involving the Phyrexians.

Juha Bach's description of the Vandenreich here is pretty much exactly what Yawgmoth and his Phyrexians did after losing a war, they built a new world, named Rath, and then did some sort of planar-overlay (idk it didnt really make sense to me) to merge Rath with the world they were trying to conquer, effectively putting their whole army onto their enemies's territory all at once. Which is exactly what Bach and the Quincies did.

http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/547/11
    This Quincy's comment about storing up powers for 1,000 years is also very similar to the flavor text on the card No Mercy

Even the artwork on this card is similar to the visual effects Kubo used to show his version of an overlay.

Personally, it feels a little like Kubo is 'borrowing' ideas to me, but I don't mind if I get to call Bach Yawgmoth and Uryuu Volrath. (And of course Ichigo would be Gerard since they are both genetically superior beings continuously tasked with the job of saving the world)
    Quote Originally Posted by xXan View Post
    PS. To bad you are not 4 years older and living in my country as i would love to exchange ideas over a drink :P
    Tell the emperor that my hall has fallen to the ground. Phoibos no longer has his house, nor his mantic bay, nor his prophetic spring; the water has dried up.- Pythia of Delphi

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member dopeycheese's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Kubo a fan of MTG?

nice one, well personally its not a problem is there anymore to the lore of the phyrexians?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There are literally whole books of phyrexian lore but the mtg wiki has a semi-decent summary of them
    http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Phyrexia
    http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Thran_Empire
    http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Thran_Civil_War

Like I said, I don't really have a problem with it, it just seems very similar to me.
    PS. To bad you are not 4 years older and living in my country as i would love to exchange ideas over a drink :P
    Tell the emperor that my hall has fallen to the ground. Phoibos no longer has his house, nor his mantic bay, nor his prophetic spring; the water has dried up.- Pythia of Delphi

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There are so many Magic cards, they will have gone through every kind of story/plot/whatever to cover pretty much most fantasy stories somehow?
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose that may be true, the card I posted is actually not about the planar-overlay, but about a group of phyrexians who got stuck inside a fast-time bubble, giving them years to train and prepare while the outside world only a few minutes had past. *cough*dangai*cough*

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose you have seen/read Dragonball at some time of your life, because the dangai during the FKT training isn't called Hyperbolic Time Chamber of Bleach for fun, it's origin is DB not some Magic card.

If Magic cards have as many mini stories as TVTropes has tropes, of course it's gonna end up with some overlapping here and there with one of the thousands of manga out there.
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 06, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member dopeycheese's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

im kinda curious now tbh, maybe we can even spoiler ourselves the ending to bleach by reading the lore

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dopeycheese View Post
    im kinda curious now tbh, maybe we can even spoiler ourselves the ending to bleach by reading the lore
    That would be cool, if I was rich and didn't have to work. Just read lore all day to predict what happens in Bleach.

It's not really strange some idead overlap, the same way two worlds overlapped in MTG and Bleach. And some other stories if I remember well. Maybe Kubo did get the idea from there or somewhere else. Or he thought of it on his own. It's not exactly cold fusion formula

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point in the series, it doesn't matter. Bleach will be over soon and the best of the series already passed in the SS Arc.

New Reply