Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does nobody want Rebecca to join the Strawhats?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does nobody want Rebecca to join the Strawhats?

Hello Guys,

this is my first post, thread what ever in this forum.

So my question is... Why does nobody want that Rebecca joins the Strawhats?

I've been reading a lot of threads and most people doesn't like Rebecca or people don't want her to get the mera mera no mi.

In my opinion: Rebecca is a cool character, which is still in the "developing" as Vivi was at first in LaBoom arc. She's a gladiator, she's a SHE and she's from the new world. She hates DD, she wants the mera mera no mi, her mother got killed by DD's crew and the whole island is hating her. But still after all the hate, she's always fighting in the colosseum in Dressrosa while she's getting flamed and yelled: DIE REBECCA.
    Rebecca is a very brave woman and has a good heart so... why are you guys so against her?

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why does nobody want that Rebecca joins the Strawhat?

im cool with her joining

of course i would have been cool with jimbei, vivi, or bon clay joining too

everyone cannot join, so far oda has put together a very unique crew who work well together and play well off of eachother in a comedic sense

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Because she's the Vivi of the Arc.

Vivi stayed in Alabasta.

Rebecca will stay in Dressrosa.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of Rebecca joining the crew. At the moment, there are a few individuals who, in my mind, have a lot more to bring to the table and should rank way ahead of her. I don't find her particularly inspiring. And as most have pointed out, she appears to be Vivi 2.0, and I found Vivi more entertaining and useful than her.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

@ FaustXIII :
    well nobody can be sure of it.
    people are talking about Alabastan's Arc being the same as Dressrosa's, but it ain't even finished yet ! How can you say it? Were you gifted visions of future? Can you share it on things more important so, it would be cool !

Anyway, I believe that more member will enter the crew in the NW than in the first half of GL and so it's possible that Rebecca and Also Violet will join.

But for Reb I'm pro : with the destructive power of the Mera Mera fruit and her combat skills based on the speed, she would be a very fine Nakama and maybe the strongest woman of the crew.
    And it can be ok since Reb father should be able to recover his human form and so become the new rightfull king, the beloved son that everyone loved...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member KuroKarasu's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like her to join. I would also like a Dwarf and Jinbe to join. I don't think "She is Vivi 2.0" should be a reason to say that you don't want her to join. I mean then it would be boring and one dimensional if every similar character would end up in a similar way. I don't think that she will join but I hope so. The only flaw is that she looks exactly like Nami.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spenzi View Post
    this is my first post, thread what ever in this forum.
    Welcome to the forum/discussions!

So my question is... Why does nobody want that Rebecca joins the Strawhats?

I've been reading a lot of threads and most people doesn't like Rebecca or people don't want her to get the mera mera no mi.

In my opinion: Rebecca is a cool character, which is still in the "developing" as Vivi was at first in LaBoom arc. She's a gladiator, she's a SHE and she's from the new world. She hates DD, she wants the mera mera no mi, her mother got killed by DD's crew and the whole island is hating her. But still after all the hate, she's always fighting in the colosseum in Dressrosa while she's getting flamed and yelled: DIE REBECCA.
    Rebecca is a very brave woman and has a good heart so... why are you guys so against her?
    I agree that Rebecca is a nice character that's still developing. Although I don't think that her being a SHE has anything to do with how or why she would get Luffy's interest in asking her to join (I don't think that was Luffy's motives when he wanted Nami or Robin to join).

Pragmatically, even if she does somehow end up getting the mera mera no mi, she would still get slaughtered by Doflamingo if she ever attacked him immediately after gaining the fruit; at least, if we're to take anything away from his skirmish with Smoker (logia) and/or Sanji (flame attacks).

Rebecca actually doesn't seem to have much of a pirate attitude and her goals remain centered around Dressrosa. Just like Vivi, she has more of a "strong/responsible princess" feel to her character and she claimed that her dream was to be able to live in the same house as Mr. Soldier.

I think that the reason a lot of people doesn't want her to get the mera mera no mi is for the very same reason I gave earlier (it'll be a waste on her for the short term goal of defeating Doflamingo which will probably never happen at her hands anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    im cool with her joining

of course i would have been cool with jimbei, vivi, or bon clay joining too

everyone cannot join, so far oda has put together a very unique crew who work well together and play well off of eachother in a comedic sense
    I always thought that Vivi, Jinbei and Bon Clay (when after he helped the strawhats escape from Hina) were already considered "nakama" by the strawhats. They're just not travelling with them.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner A c e's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Because she brings nothing to the table. Is she gonna be consider a swordsman? But she doesn't swing her blade. lol.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that we don't like Rebecca; I'm sure a lot of us like and respect her. It's just that she hasn't been depicted to be a Strawhat candidate based on what we have seen from the other Strawhats before they joined.
    1. Her ambition to defeat Doflamingo is only limited to Dressrosa. She hasn't expressed any desire to explore the seas nor has been given any reason to. Violet is more likely to leave the island instead.
    2. Her father and grandfather are still alive when she thought they were dead/missing. I think she would stay with them to catch up on all the time she has missed instead of leaving right after the reunion.
    3. If Doflamingo were to be overthrown and the Riku Family restored as monarchs, things will be bad for Dressrosa if she decides to join. Not only was a (former) World Noble stripped of his throne, the princess of the Riku Family has become a pirate and both actions go against the World Government.
    4. She hasn't interacted with the other Strawhats yet.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member frontaLobotomy's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

She looks a little too similar to Nami for me. Vivi had the same thing, although they're very cute designs I'd still prefer the crew to look as unique from one another as possible.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

When considering a character to join a crew, you also have to figure out if they'll be marketable. Will they profit well as merchandise? What will their designated "colour" be? (Luffy = red, Zoro = green, Nami = orange, etc.)

Unless Rebecca gets a costume change, it will be hard to have her on children's t-shirts, stationary and other goods.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

So far up to this point

She's a boring character
    There's nothing interesting about her
    She seems to be too much of a pacifist
    She doesn't seem to be a good fighter
    Not really a right fit for the Straw Hats
    Just not a character to give a crap about

Maybe that'll all change later on, but that's what I think of her right now. I'd rather see Crocodile join than Rebecca, at least he's cool.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

She's Vivi 2.0.She's just another damsel in distress, even if she can use haki. She doesn't want to fight. Right now the SHs need a powerful crewmate, at least that's the way I see it. Without the Mera Mera I fear she's not strong enough to be part of the crew. Of course strength was never a criteria to be part of the crew. Characters like Nami and Usopp all made it in even though they were weak , but that's because each one of them has a speciality. Nami is the navigator, Usopp is a sniper....So what is her speciality? A princess in distress is the most accurate answer.Unless she has some hidden talent that could be useful to the Straw hats.
    Honestly I'd rather see Kin'emon join the crew, or Kanjuro once he's properly introduced. A strong samurai will be a good asset for the crew.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    It's not that we don't like Rebecca; I'm sure a lot of us like and respect her.
    I disagree here. There's plenty of disrespect towards her in these forums calling her "weak", "dumb" and "boring" (or "Vivi 2.0" which completely fails to describe her as character) - mostly as annoyed answer to those who see Rebecca being a capable Strawhat member.

It's just that she hasn't been depicted to be a Strawhat candidate based on what we have seen from the other Strawhats before they joined.
    Well, most of them have triggered Luffy at some point to want them join his crew. I mean, he even asked Kureha, didn't he?

The major reason for Rebecca not becoming a Strawhat pirate is as simple as it may have been all the time - without any reducing herself as "rip-off character" nor snub her fans: Luffy did not ask her.

Once this was done, people could actually think about whether or not she will actually come with him. I don't see her wanting to join either - as she doesn't know him as Luffy, does she?

So, with those two arguments all discussion whether or not she's going to join the Strawhats is actually quite done.

When considering a character to join a crew, you also have to figure out if they'll be marketable. Will they profit well as merchandise? What will their designated "colour" be? (Luffy = red, Zoro = green, Nami = orange, etc.)

Unless Rebecca gets a costume change, it will be hard to have her on children's t-shirts, stationary and other goods.
    Well, there's still those POP figurines - even if she wore the loincloth costume for the rest of the entire series, it shouldn't be "worse" than Nami and Robin's miniskirt outfits from Enies Lobby or the underwear/bikini ones. They'll easily make her have some closed legs posture... And her figurine will probably come whether or nor she's going to join anyways.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, Luffy not asking Rebecca could have more to do with situation at hand than him not wanting her. Chances are he'll ask her to join later, given Rebecca isn't evil. Given Luffy's ability to make friends and the likelihood that he'll earn Rebecca's trust, admiration, and loyalty, I could see Rebecca willing to join Luffy if she has no responsibilities.

Those aren't good arguments to conclude that she won't join the Straw Hats. Besides, it's too early to tell what kind of person Rebecca will end up being, maybe she could be a great Straw Hat material or maybe she'd be the worst choice.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast