Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does nobody want Rebecca to join the Strawhats?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why does nobody want that Rebecca joins the Strawhat?

Aha! See, that post on Mangastream mentioned the three criteria about future SH members. Rebecca already fills the sad past criteria, so she's the closest person in this arc to joining the crew. And as for those comments about her needing to take care of the kingdom when Doflamingo is dethroned, I think that Violet will be filling that position. My only regret is that it looks like Rebecca won't be eating the Mera Mera no Mi.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The number of characters who have a sad past is innumerable in this series. The whole of FI had a sad past, the PH children and even the men of CC had a sad past and even the citizens of DR have a sad past which they nothing about yet. Having a sad past is really low on the priority list for a potential member Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Until someone can provide me with a dream and usage for the crew, all talk about her is nothing but drivel.
    Firm but Fair

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The number of characters who have a sad past is innumerable in this series. The whole of FI had a sad past, the PH children and even the men of CC had a sad past and even the citizens of DR have a sad past which they nothing about yet. Having a sad past is really low on the priority list for a potential member Imo.
    Yes, but a SH's sad past also includes the death of someone they cared about (Luffy being the exception), and Rebecca lost her mother.

Until someone can provide me with a dream and usage for the crew, all talk about her is nothing but drivel.
    Well, I was hoping that she'd be useful by eating the Mera Mera, and as for a dream, well, that's something that can still appear at any time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

She and Rebecca are related? No? From my point of view, she is the best candidate so far because Barto won't join, Sabo ain't either. None of the dwarfs is outstanding or anything, so maybe we have zero new member in this arc.

I realized that I am merely a conscience programmed into a game.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBVC View Post
    She and Rebecca are related? No? From my point of view, she is the best candidate so far because Barto won't join, Sabo ain't either. None of the dwarfs is outstanding or anything, so maybe we have zero new member in this arc.
    lol why would you even mention the dwarfs

Why does there even have to be a candidate this arc? We do this every arc. As soon as a new character appears they are immediately anointed the next Strawhat. Whenever a recurring character reappears, they to are anointed the next Strawhat. As soon as a newer character appears, the last one is immediately replaced. Rebecca is just the latest. There is nothing within the story to actually suggest she will join the crew. Virtually everything about her suggests that she will never leave Dressrosa. She's part of the royal family. Running off to become a pirate would be a major embarrassment once her clan regains control of the island. What she wants most is to be with her family, Thunder Solider most of all. She can't regain the family she lost if she runs off with Luffy.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    Aha! See, that post on Mangastream mentioned the three criteria about future SH members. Rebecca already fills the sad past criteria, so she's the closest person in this arc to joining the crew. And as for those comments about her needing to take care of the kingdom when Doflamingo is dethroned, I think that Violet will be filling that position. My only regret is that it looks like Rebecca won't be eating the Mera Mera no Mi.
    I think you misunderstood that post. It was an incoherent rant by someone fed up with fans declaring every random ass character the next nakama. New strawhat discussions are a fandom cliche. Other topics are frequently hijacked by next nakama discussion, choking off more relevant topics, and annoying the hell out of pretty much everyone else. Discussing next nakama in threads like this is harmless. If anyone doesn't like it they can ignore the thread. It's when this discussion overruns chapter and spoiler discussion that it becomes insufferable. The poster at MS was not trying to explain the One Piece world, or better develop ground rules for new Strawhats. They were annoyed by the subject.

In truth the three rules are bogus. Except for Robin and Jinbe, it's always been obvious when a new Strawhat will join. In the first chapter of the arc, the Strawhats discuss needing a new crew member. They immediately meet someone who fits the role. Brooke was invited to join the crew a few pages after his first appearance. The only two surprises were Robin and Jinbe. Looking back there were plenty of context clues indicating they would join. Robin was introduced along with the first poneglyph, the first mention of the Ancient Kingdom, and the ancient language. Robin joining provided someone who could read the Poneglyphs and advance the storyline about the Ancient Kingdom. Jinbe promised Ace that he would protect Luffy. This was first mentioned during the War, right after Ace died. By joining the crew, Jinbe can fulfill his promise to Ace, always being there to protect, and support Luffy. The sad past is often told in retrospect. Some characters, like Brooke and Sanji, explain their past right away. Others, like Robin and Nami, are not explained for a few arcs. Zoro's past still has not been explained in detail. We know he has a sad past, he has mentioned his dead friend a few times. She was not mentioned until well after he joined the crew. New characters almost always have dreams, but almost every character in the series has a dream.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FaustXIII View Post
    Because she's the Vivi of the Arc.

Vivi stayed in Alabasta.

Rebecca will stay in Dressrosa.
    i agree with this 100% i didn't know why i didn't want her at first but it makes sense, i never wanted vivi to join either and she has that vivi feel.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BASED Shinigami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe there isn't anything particularly interesting or unique about Rebecca's personality, so I believe readers would have a hard time differentiating her character from the current two female Straw Hats pirates. Why would she want to join anyway?
    My comic suggestions: Ecchi, Martial Arts, Historical, Harem, Adventure!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MBVC's Avatar
    Country
    Bouvet Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    lol why would you even mention the dwarfs

Why does there even have to be a candidate this arc? We do this every arc. As soon as a new character appears they are immediately anointed the next Strawhat. Whenever a recurring character reappears, they to are anointed the next Strawhat. As soon as a newer character appears, the last one is immediately replaced. Rebecca is just the latest. There is nothing within the story to actually suggest she will join the crew. Virtually everything about her suggests that she will never leave Dressrosa. She's part of the royal family. Running off to become a pirate would be a major embarrassment once her clan regains control of the island. What she wants most is to be with her family, Thunder Solider most of all. She can't regain the family she lost if she runs off with Luffy.
    There is a big misunderstanding here, I meant Violet not Rebecca, she is much useful than the latter one.

I realized that I am merely a conscience programmed into a game.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bromains View Post
    i agree with this 100% i didn't know why i didn't want her at first but it makes sense, i never wanted vivi to join either and she has that vivi feel.
    Yeah sure Rebecca is Vivi 2.0 aha okay. Why do you think she's Vivi 2.0? Well i don't know but Violet seems to be more similar to Vivi than Rebecca does. But I don't say Violet is Vivi 2.0. I'd never say anything like that because every character is unique
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy.

#TeamRebecca

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EddyBob15 View Post
    Yes, but a SH's sad past also includes the death of someone they cared about (Luffy being the exception), and Rebecca lost her mother.

Well, I was hoping that she'd be useful by eating the Mera Mera, and as for a dream, well, that's something that can still appear at any time.
    Ok its in oda's disicion if rebecca will or wont join the sh crew yes she has a sad past but she doesnt have a dream and she doesnt have a role in the ship zoro and Brook are allready using swords what would be the point of a gladiator? and after the appearance of sabo you expect that she will get the mera-mera yeah now that sabo is in the scene.Would you give the df that represent the ace's soul to someone who doesnt know? I really dont understand this ridiculous fan-drooling over the character rebecca just because she is a princess with a sad past so what ? my cousin has a sad past but that doesnt mean she will join a crew. Everyone in the pirate crew they have both a dream and a key role in the crew. Nami is amazing navigator/ robin is the archeologist and the only one who can find clues about the poneglyphs. Zoro role in the ship isnt big one but he has a big dream. Chopper is the doctor. Sanji is the cook, Franky is the shipwright and more like a scientist. Ussop is the sniper. What Would be rebecca's role in the ship? The lady who cleans the ship or the cabin girl because only for those 2 roles are capable of doing.
    Last edited by Don Chinjao; December 19, 2013 at 03:05 AM.

Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Chinjao View Post
    Ok its in oda's disicion if rebecca will or wont join the sh crew yes she has a sad past but she doesnt have a dream and she doesnt have a role in the ship zoro and Brook are allready using swords what would be the point of a gladiator? and after the appearance of sabo you expect that she will get the mera-mera yeah now that sabo is in the scene.Would you give the df that represent the ace's soul to someone who doesnt know? I really dont understand this ridiculous fan-drooling over the character rebecca just because she is a princess with a sad past so what ? my cousin has a sad past but that doesnt mean she will join a crew. Everyone in the pirate crew they have both a dream and a key role in the crew. Nami is amazing navigator/ robin is the archeologist and the only one who can find clues about the poneglyphs. Zoro role in the ship isnt big one but he has a big dream. Chopper is the doctor. Sanji is the cook, Franky is the shipwright and more like a scientist. Ussop is the sniper. What Would be rebecca's role in the ship? The lady who cleans the ship or the cabin girl because only for those 2 roles are capable of doing.
    Why does anybody need to have a role on the ship? I guess every important role is there, as u said cook and doctor etc. I don't think they need someone who fullfill a specific role anymore. But if so, which role would be left in your opinion? Which role should the next nakama fullfill?
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy.

#TeamRebecca

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spenzi View Post
    Why does anybody need to have a role on the ship? I guess every important role is there, as u said cook and doctor etc. I don't think they need someone who fullfill a specific role anymore. But if so, which role would be left in your opinion? Which role should the next nakama fullfill?
    I said she need a usuage dream and a role.Not having a role in the ship means she must have a big-time dream i dont know to became the new pirate empress or something to balance her non role in the ship and so far she doesnt even have any. she isnt even a cool character. The life of living quiet in a home in the country side suits her perfectly as a pacifista personality.
    Last edited by Don Chinjao; December 19, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Chinjao View Post
    I said she need a usuage dream and a role.Not having a role in the ship means she must have a big-time dream i dont know to became the new pirate empress or something to balance her non role in the ship and so far she doesnt even have any. she isnt even a cool character. The life of living quiet in a home in the country side suits her perfectly as a pacifista personality.
    When Luffy wants her to join, she probably will. Oda gave us many hints with the bronce statue. Luffy always wanted a bronce statue on his ship. rebecca = bronce statue. And as for Toy Soldier San, he'll die or somewhat will cause her to leave him behind.

#TeamRebecca

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ace4's Avatar
    Country
    Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get you guys, Luffy never showed any move to try to get her to join so far. He asked Kanjuros legs when he met them and he would be a useful addition to the crew because of his ability and fighting skill. Violet might have lower fighting abilities but with her eyes she can be very useful for the crew. People usually have a dream that need them to sail around to fulfill the dream. Etc. etc.

- Rebecca is not weak but I have a hard time imagening her fighting style beeing useful outside of a ring
    - She's fast and has observation Haki but that's nothing special in the NW
    - Her dream is to live with the Toy Soldier in the same house. It's possible that he dies and his last wish is that she lives her live free and thus her dream is to see the world blabla asspull...
    - She is female which would be a good point for her.

Overall I have a hard time imagening her in the crew. But we'll see how Oda wants to handle it.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Rebecca being weak is a silly argument, it's pure Aikido.
    Aikido is all about not hurting the enemy but protecting yourself.
    Calling someone weak for using such an Art is an insult to everyone practicing it.

Entire Philosophy of Aikido is extending compassion towards the enemy in order for the ideal resolution of both attacker and attacked being unharmed, an art that requires no physical power but requires the user to look in the face of danger.
    Last edited by Beatrice; January 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast