Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Soma's rival so far? (Updated since Chapter 53)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nakiri Erina

3 27.27%
  • Isshiki Satoshi

1 9.09%
  • Takumi Aldini

6 54.55%
  • Shinomiya Kojirō

0 0%
  • Nakiri Alice

1 9.09%
  • Kurokiba Ryō

0 0%
  • Eizan Etsuya

0 0%
  • Hayama Akira

0 0%
  • Other, explain

0 0%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Soma's Rival

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Soma's Rival

In Soma's journey in the Tootsuki Culinary Academy, he confronted most of his rivals since his infamous ambitious speech during the Orientation Day Ceremony ha spread around the academy. While received strong hostility and deemed as an "arrogant fool" by some students, his infamous reputation for his daredevil bravery and amazing cookery has made the Yukihira Genius a central attention in the academy, and prompt prospect and geniuses seek for him and attempts to humble him. Of all rival above, which of these rivals above is your favorite?

P.S.: Ikumi has befriended with Soma since her defeat, so she isn't on the list this time (though that still didn't change a fact that she is still Soma's rival).
    Last edited by Chingaruna517; January 02, 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: updated

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poll: [Favorites] Favorite Soma's Rival

I have to go with Takumi Aldini though for various obvious reasons. But looking beyond my bias, I guess a second good one for him is so far Hayama with the spices and even Erina (she is like the typical rival character but brings good laughs because of her personality making her confused with potential feelings of affection and adoration while maintaining her high status).

I guess for Takumi he seems more like the playful typical rival best friend type character that wants to see Soma at least succeed and showed concern numerous times, and I dont think he harbors nary a bad feeling (unlike Erina).

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I go with Erina, she is the final rival to beat in the story, she has the best abilities among all rivals so far. Also, there is what Shark said, that she is funny with her confused feelings, I guess she thinks Souma nice, but she doesn't want to admit it, she is very stubborn. XD

I wouldn't consider Nikumi as a rival because she already lost for Souma and even fall in love for him. :P

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Since rival means here rival in a food war, I go with two: first, Jouichiro. He must be the most powerful rival Soma has met and I think we haven't seen a better chef than him. Whit the only exception of (and here my wild guess on my the second chance) Nakiri Senzaemon. I guess Jouichiro was defeated in the past by Senzaemon, and that Soma will be go beyond what his father went, because he will be able to beat the one who beat his father, that is Nakiri Senzaemon.

I see Erina, not as a rival, but as a judge, the most strict judge Soma can face. She will be the judge of the ultimate and final food war...

(The poll needs the 'other, explain' option).
    Last edited by ukimix; November 08, 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

My concept of rival is someone who is in the same level as the main character, always developing and fighting together, it isn't the case of Jouichirou and Nakiri Senzaemon, at least in this part of the story. Nakiri Erina isn't only a judge, she is one of the best cooking in the school as well. Souma will have to confront both aspects to beat Erina, both have extreme quality, so Erina is the hardest one in this point of story. However, she isn't the "final boss" of the story, for sure. This is unbelivable now, but I think that Erina and Souma will be friends later.

@ukimix: Option added.
    Last edited by Leoat12; November 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    I wouldn't consider Nikumi as a rival because she already lost for Souma and even fall in love for him. :P
    The reason I add the Meat Expert (pre-Soma's first Shokugeki) is because she used to be arrogant before her imminent defeat and ditched behind by Erina.

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Erina's is not just a judge, @ukimix. Be noted that she is also a participant (rare in public) to hold a Shokugeki, usually as an intimating message for those who stand in her way, including the Yukihira Genius who she considered as her nemesis.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Nukimi was like that in the past, but she isn't right now, probably no one will vote on her because of what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingaruna517 View Post
    Erina's is not just a judge, @ukimix. Be noted that she is also a participant (rare in public) to hold a Shokugeki, usually as an intimating message for those who stand in her way, including the Yukihira Genius who she considered as her nemesis.
    I agree and it complements what I said.
    By the way, why do you call Yukihira as "Yukihira Genius"? Are you a fan of him? XD
    Last edited by Leoat12; November 08, 2013 at 11:09 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    By the way, why do you call Yukihira as "Yukihira Genius"? Are you a fan of him? XD
    Yes I do, and it is my personal dub for Soma , whose creativity comes many surprises to even the experts. Not only because of his amazing skills cookery, his brave yet humble personality is another reason got my attention; which made him who he is.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't make my point clear. Erina is great chef, no doubt. But she's not my favourite rival, if for rival we understand a great chef who has to be faced in a war food (shokugeki). The main battle I see between Soma and Erina is a battle between a great chef and a great judge (the goddess's tongue)... Their main battle will be not a shokugeki, but a diner in which Erina will say about Soma's dish: "it's good".

That's why I was pointing that to me rival means simply the other chef you have to beat in a shokugeki. Being so, I prefer Jouichiro and Senzaemon over Erina, even if she's a great chef and the second sit on the elite ten.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukimix View Post
    I didn't make my point clear. Erina is great chef, no doubt. But she's not my favourite rival, if for rival we understand a great chef who has to be faced in a war food (shokugeki). The main battle I see between Soma and Erina is a battle between a great chef and a great judge (the goddess's tongue)... Their main battle will be not a shokugeki, but a diner in which Erina will say about Soma's dish: "it's good".
    The chapter 0 edition of the Shokugeki no Soma seemly a prototype chapter before it's official debut, a half truth about your quote (though her actual attempts is halt by her Graceful Hulk of Elite 10, who fought a vain Shokugeki against the Yukihira Genius on her behalf) . The real Shokugeki did Erina had, and the official ones,is her confrontation with the Chan R's Yokozuna.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Soma's Rival

The most of the Shokugekis which Yukihira entered, in the end, the opponent tasted Yukihiras food as well. That said, I think that where Erina may say "It's good" can be in a Shokugeki as well. It's the best moment to say it, when she will have to let her pride aside seeing that chefs said that it was good.
    Last edited by Leoat12; November 09, 2013 at 08:28 AM.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I don't remember any chef tasting rival's food in a shokugeki, but you should be right. Anyway, I don't think a shokugeki between Erina and Soma is not the best moment for Erina acknowledgment that Soma's food is good. Basicaly because, in a shokugeki, the rival's doesn't have word on how good is their rival's food.

From my reading of the first 5 chapters, in which the relationship between Erina and Soma is constructed, she disapproves Soma style of cooking, and thinks that in that prestigious Academy there should be no place for a chef of popular food. She tries to reject Soma's Furikake because it's food not a the high of the heaven of the cuisine, plebeian food not at the high of the god's tongue, improper for the sanctuary of the first class chef etc... . On his side, Soma says in his little speech that the Academy is just as stepping stones, a mere intermediate step towards somewhere else. So that's their rivalry; it's a clash, so to say, between two very different styles of cooking. I like to see there a rivalry between academy food and popular food. But it doesn't have to be so, neither.

Anyway, given that context, my guess is that Erina will say about Soma's food: "It's good", not as a whisper chewed for herself (she already did that), but as a public statement in a scenario where everybody will be listening what she has to tell about it. Given the Shokugeki we know, that will not be said for one of the contestants, but by a judge, in the duty to give a public verdict on some dish. Also I guess also Erina's public acknowledgment will mark a huge change in the whole academy.

In short, even if, in a shokugeki, a contestant can taste his rival's food, he's not forced to recognize its quality publicly. But Erina will have to retract about Soma's cooking publicly. I hope that will be the best shokugeki we will see in the manga. That's why I think it will be between Soma and the top of the top of the high cuisine; who could be Senzaemon.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

But that is just a possibility. Giving it a second thought, we have seen Senzaemon seems to be much more reasonable than Erina. Maybe he will be the judge, and Erina will be the representative of the high academy cuisine and Some the popular chef who will change the paradigm in the Academy. And after her public defeat, she will recognize how good is Soma's food. That can also perfectly happen.

Both are possibilities; but their common feature between those possibilities is that the best shokugeki will be that one between the high and sophisticated cooking and the popular creative cooking.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nikumi tasted Yukihira's dish here. I think different, after Erina lose the Shokugeki, it will be the best moment to acknowledge Yukihira's abilities in front of the entire school and pretigious chefs. We don't know how this Shokugeki will be, but I'm certain that she should acknowledge him there. This is simply because Shokugeki is the main competition in the story, it will have much more impact than in other place.
    However, I understand your point, despite of I don't agree. XD

Well, Senzaemon case and even Jouichirou case go against the meaning of rivals in my opinion. I'll use the formal meaning of "rivals" to help me in my argumentation:

1. A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

2. A person or thing that equals another in quality.

Both Senzaemon and Jouichirou don't have the same level as Yukihira, they are higher level so far, also, none of them have the same objective as Yukihira in this moment of the story. Like I said before, the rivalry must be mutual and this doesn't happen with those two. If you are talking about the far future, maybe you are right, but right now Erina is the biggest rival who Yukihira has, no doubt.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Pietro's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Hayama Akira

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Soma's Rival 2.0

In Soma's journey in the Tootsuki Culinary Academy, he confronted most of his rivals since his infamous ambitious speech during the Orientation Day Ceremony ha spread around the academy. While received strong hostility and deemed as an "arrogant fool" by some students, his infamous reputation for his daredevil bravery and amazing cookery has made the Yukihira Genius a central attention in the academy, and prompt prospect and geniuses seek for him and attempts to humble him. Of all rival above, which of these rivals above is your favorite?

P.S.: Ikumi has befriended with Soma since her defeat, so she isn't on the list this time (though that still didn't change a fact that she is still Soma's rival).

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast