Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Want to start cleaning, looking for some feedback if you would be so kind :)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Want to start cleaning, looking for some feedback if you would be so kind :)

Hello!

I'm new to this and just really wanted to know if I was doing this right or how wrong I was doing it. I'll take any and all criticism/constructive feedback and or advice that I can get!

Not looking to be perfect... Just tolerable enough to clean for your standard scanlation group ^_^'
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dioz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to start cleaning, looking for some feedback if you would be so kind :)

These are really good, in my opinion you have a nice contrast it's not to dark or too light.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to start cleaning, looking for some feedback if you would be so kind :)

You denoised too harshly. like in the first picture, look at the (what should be) black lines in her hair and skirt. They've turned gray or been completely destroyed (like her eyebrow through the screen tone.) The screen tone highlights in her hair have also been damaged by this, and the edges of the text has been softened.

There are still some parts that have noticeable gray patches where they should be white, like her fingers and above the eye on the left.
    Use the levels tool to check for this.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dioz View Post
    These are really good, in my opinion you have a nice contrast it's not to dark or too light.
    Thank you, will try and keep my contrasts similar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by benii View Post
    You denoised too harshly. like in the first picture, look at the (what should be) black lines in her hair and skirt. They've turned gray or been completely destroyed (like her eyebrow through the screen tone.) The screen tone highlights in her hair have also been damaged by this, and the edges of the text has been softened.

There are still some parts that have noticeable gray patches where they should be white, like her fingers and above the eye on the left.
    Use the levels tool to check for this.
    I can totally see all that now. Will tone down the denoising and blurring a bit and look for those unwanted grays using levels this time; no idea why I was trying to do it without I kind of disagree with you about the hair highlights, I think they look pretty good. Thank you as well! I shall post again soon enough when I get some more practice.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful of overleveling, try and keep the grays the same compared to the RAW and try not to compensate for the dust on the blacks as well, they're easily removable via manual methods (burning or brushing). And definitely be careful of denosing too much as well, it stands out if you look closely enough, but be careful not to get the grays too sharp either, play around with your settings and see if you get a nice compromise between the two.

When you clean, pay attention to the grays; they're the one's that require more of the filter work rather than the black or whites which can easily by cleaned manually. But not bad. Keep it up.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Gradonil_Ral's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you take a look at the second page you'll see that you also lost the pattern surrounding the girl on the first and the center panels.
    In cases like these it's usually best to use Magnetic Lasso to select the pattern areas from the raw layer, use layer via copy, drag the new layer over the clean one, and use separate settings to clean it up.
    ONeoRa is always looking for interesting people to join our ranks.
    Visit our forum to apply: http://www.oneora.net

New Reply