Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Pick who you think wins.

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Akutsu

5 55.56%
  • Shiraishi

4 44.44%
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Akutsu vs Shiraishi

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Philia's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Prince Of Tennis Akutsu vs Shiraishi

Akutsu Vs Shiraishi
    Who would win??????????????????
    Last edited by Philia; November 16, 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random Singles Matches

I really like Shirasihi better as a character. If the stats that are shown in the surface area are Shiraishi without the gauntlet on, then it goes to Akutsu for sure. His natural flexibility and his ability to counter attack, I think, would be stronger than bible tennis. Akutsu's unpredictable play style was enough to confuse the Tanegamishima.

Shiraishi who formulates counter attacks against his opponents, would not be able to see through Akutsu's play style. He's just too random for Shiraishi to beat him, when their stats are so close to equal.

On the other hand, if the stats are Shiraishi's stats with the gauntlet on, Shiraishi would win after he takes it off. The change in the weight of the Gold that he was wearing for three years would provide enough power and enough arm speed to outclass Akutsu.

I made an argument before suggesting that the stats in the data book for Shiraishi's with his gauntlet on, however I don't think anyone commented on it so I cannot claim that it is valid.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Random Singles Matches

Changed thread title and added a poll. It's fine to have multiple threads for multiple discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by floman View Post
    I made an argument before suggesting that the stats in the data book for Shiraishi's with his gauntlet on, however I don't think anyone commented on it so I cannot claim that it is valid.
    I believe they aren't, but I don't remember if Sai has actually ever confirmed it.

That said, removing the gauntlet doesn't increase Shiraishi's leg speed, so he'd still have as much trouble with Akutsu's shots as when he wears the gauntlet I think.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Akutsu vs Shiraishi

Akutsu is a lot better than he was in PoT, but Shiraishi's style is perfect tennis. Akutsu plays unpredictable and Shiraishi plays with perfect fundamentals. Even though Akutsu has better stats, that could be because the stats show Shiraishi with the gauntlet on.

Also, stats aren't everything in these matches, as the Revolutionary Brigade vs #12-19 showed

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redhairSH View Post
    Also, stats aren't everything in these matches, as the Revolutionary Brigade vs #12-19 showed
    Well, the Mutsus raped Oishi/Niou (who won just because of a trick, lol), Date/Ban destroyed Kabaji/Kawamura, Mitsuya left Yanagi unconcious, IIRC Kintarou has better stats and he defeated Hakamada, Irie has better stats than Akiba,

In the #11-20 matches, There were only 2 exceptions, and BJK and the new Yips are strong techs.

So yeah, stats matter, unless you're hiding something really strong (and Shiraishi doesn't have it). In fact, as you said, Akutsu's playstyle should counter Shiraishi.

As much as I dislike him, Akutsu should win here.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Well, the Mutsus raped Oishi/Niou (who won just because of a trick, lol), Date/Ban destroyed Kabaji/Kawamura, Mitsuya left Yanagi unconcious, IIRC Kintarou has better stats and he defeated Hakamada, Irie has better stats than Akiba,

In the #11-20 matches, There were only 2 exceptions, and BJK and the new Yips are strong techs.

So yeah, stats matter, unless you're hiding something really strong (and Shiraishi doesn't have it). In fact, as you said, Akutsu's playstyle should counter Shiraishi.

I didn't mean that it would counter his playstyle, more that since their stats are so even the difference maker would be play style. Since Shiraishi takes off his gauntlet, his power would increase and his technique would most likely increase (and most likely stamina too).

The only things that wouldn't be effected would be mental and speed like Kaoz mentioned. I think judging based on the magnitude of the weights, it would be enough to beat Akutsu by a narrow margin.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

^Actually, I believe the areas that are boosted when he's removing the gauntlet are Speed and Stamina.

Also @Hardy, Yukimura and Fuwa have the same stat total as well, so it's not necessarily an exception to stats mattering.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Akutsu wins. All Shiraishi has is his Bible (AKA basic tennis) and the Roundtable Shot, which Akutsu can react in time for due to his flexibility. Plus, Akutsu's basic tennis shouldn't be scoffed at either, as he can hit the 10-ball with no problem. We dunno if Shiraishi can do that.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oishi/Niou had lower stats, but still won, which helps prove that stats aren't everything

Mitsuya lost to Inui, who has some of the lowest stats of all

I said the 12-19 matches, not 11-20, because I knew Yukimura and Irie had better stats than Akiba and Fuwa

Momo and kenya had lower stats than their opponents and won because of a new technique developed in NPoT, so they still won, which helps prove that stats aren't everything

Akutsu having a natural talent for tennis, being a genius with an unpredictable playstyle actually gives Shiraishi the edge, as that was the same situation when he played Fuji

We haven't seen Shiraishi or Akutsu get serious in a 1 on 1 match in NPoT(except when Ryoga made Akutsu look silly), we've seen them both in doubles, we saw Shiraishi spank 3rd court, and Akutsu get spanked by G10, so we've seen all that Akutsu has to offer, but we haven't seen if Shiraishi has any new techs

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna say this, inb4 replies, "the best doesn't always win".

Oishi/Niou had lower stats, but still won, which helps prove that stats aren't everything
    Not really. They didn't win because of a tech, they didn't win because of a tennis strategy, they just won because of a trick, almost cheating. They didn't show that they were superior ,and that's what we are looking for here, to know who's better, Shiraishi or Niou. The Mutsus are a better pair than Oishi/Niou, regardless if they lost.

Mitsuya lost to Inui, who has some of the lowest stats of all
    Inui's merit in that victory was as big as Mitsuya. He was careless, because he had 67 % chance of winning (or something like that). Again, Mitsuya is better here. And Mitsuya had destroyed 2 people before their match.

I said the 12-19 matches, not 11-20, because I knew Yukimura and Irie had better stats than Akiba and Fuwa
    ...how convenient, lol.

Momo and kenya had lower stats than their opponents and won because of a new technique developed in NPoT, so they still won, which helps prove that stats aren't everything
    I know.

Akutsu having a natural talent for tennis, being a genius with an unpredictable playstyle actually gives Shiraishi the edge, as that was the same situation when he played Fuji

We haven't seen Shiraishi or Akutsu get serious in a 1 on 1 match in NPoT(except when Ryoga made Akutsu look silly), we've seen them both in doubles, we saw Shiraishi spank 3rd court, and Akutsu get spanked by G10, so we've seen all that Akutsu has to offer, but we haven't seen if Shiraishi has any new techs
    What? Fuji is predictable as f@ck, all his counters were returnable back then. His improvement is unpredictable, not his moves. It's actually the opposite of Akutsu. In fact, the moment Fuji got a new counter (something unpredictable), Shiraishi lost like 4 or 5 games in a row.

Shiraishi's playstyle is actually the opposite of using special moves, so don't expect anything. And if his databook doesn't say anything new, then I dunno why we should even consider it.

Shiraishi has NOTHING in his favour here. His stats are worse, his playstyle shouldn't be as effective against an unpredictable guy, he has no techs, he isn't good enough to hit 10ao... like seriously, I like Shiraishi and everything, but he has no chance.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna say this, inb4 replies, "the best doesn't always win".

Not really. They didn't win because of a tech, they didn't win because of a tennis strategy, they just won because of a trick, almost cheating. They didn't show that they were superior ,and that's what we are looking for here, to know who's better, Shiraishi or Niou. The Mutsus are a better pair than Oishi/Niou, regardless if they lost.
    Combining Nious ability to turn into one of the Mutsu's with Oishi territory wasn't a trick or cheating(in the NPoT universe), they both used their strengths to come up with a strategy, which is a sign of a good player. They had a superior ability to come up with a mid game strategy - Mutsus use synchro, Niou turns into one, they stop using synchro, Niou becomes Eiji and they use synchro

Inui's merit in that victory was as big as Mitsuya. He was careless, because he had 67 % chance of winning (or something like that). Again, Mitsuya is better here. And Mitsuya had destroyed 2 people before their match.
    Inui was able to beat a guy with much better stats by using the data he gathered in the match with Renji and his own determination to win

What? Fuji is predictable as f@ck, all his counters were returnable back then. His improvement is unpredictable, not his moves. It's actually the opposite of Akutsu. In fact, the moment Fuji got a new counter (something unpredictable), Shiraishi lost like 4 or 5 games in a row.

Shiraishi's playstyle is actually the opposite of using special moves, so don't expect anything. And if his databook doesn't say anything new, then I dunno why we should even consider it.

Shiraishi has NOTHING in his favour here. His stats are worse, his playstyle shouldn't be as effective against an unpredictable guy, he has no techs, he isn't good enough to hit 10ao... like seriously, I like Shiraishi and everything, but he has no chance.
    Fuji and Akutsu are both natural talents who needed to be defeated to get the motivation to improve. When Fuji played Shiraishi, he had four counters, by the end of the match, he had upgraded the first three, and created the "final counter", which was supposed to be unreturnable. Shiraishi was able to return all 8 of those shots(4 counters, 3 improved versions, 5th counter) in the match. Shiraishi lost some games, but was able to counter everything Fuji was able to come up with.

Shiraishi focuses on the fundamentals, his technique is called perfect tennis, and based on matches we've seen him in, he hasn't faced any shot or technique that he can't figure out how to return during the match.

What Shiraishi has going for him is that he can figure out how to return any tech used against him. As far as the 10 ball thing goes, he might be good enough for it, Tezuka is more skilled than any mser who does have 10 ball but we've never seen him hit it, the only way to know if he can hit 10 ball is if it's used against him and he can't return it

Sanada has 5 ball tech, but he's got better stats than 10 ball tech Akutsu, Sanada has never shown he can hit 10 balls at once

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Combining Nious ability to turn into one of the Mutsu's with Oishi territory wasn't a trick or cheating(in the NPoT universe), they both used their strengths to come up with a strategy, which is a sign of a good player. They had a superior ability to come up with a mid game strategy - Mutsus use synchro, Niou turns into one, they stop using synchro, Niou becomes Eiji and they use synchro
    ...that didn't happen.

All we know is that Niou used synchro with the Mutsus, and that's it. Niou tricked the Mutsus. He and Oishi didn't show to be better. They won? Yes, but that's another topic (I already said this in my last post ).

Inui was able to beat a guy with much better stats by using the data he gathered in the match with Renji and his own determination to win
    Did I say that didn't happen? no. But we DO KNOW that Mitsuya was overconfident and, if he had been completely serious or had some data about Inui, he would had won. Mitsuya is better, we know that (...if you don't agree, say why in the tier thread). "The best doesn't always win"(I said this in my last post x2).

Shiraishi focuses on the fundamentals, his technique is called perfect tennis, and based on matches we've seen him in, he hasn't faced any shot or technique that he can't figure out how to return during the match.

What Shiraishi has going for him is that he can figure out how to return any tech used against him. As far as the 10 ball thing goes, he might be good enough for it, Tezuka is more skilled than any mser who does have 10 ball but we've never seen him hit it, the only way to know if he can hit 10 ball is if it's used against him and he can't return it

Sanada has 5 ball tech, but he's got better stats than 10 ball tech Akutsu, Sanada has never shown he can hit 10 balls at once
    Actually, Shiraishi said that if Fuji's last shot in their match had been in, he would had lost... so apparently he can't return everything. Same with Kenya scoring 3 times against him using just speed (no special moves).

"What Shiraishi has going for him is that he can figure out how to return any tech used against him" Sadly, Akutsu doesn't have any techs... so, again, how's Shiraishi better?

Also, Shiraishi isn't Sanada nor Tezuka, not even close, lol.

As I said before, if people want to make this a popularity contest I don't mind it, I like Shiraishi way more than Akutsu, but it's just urealistic to think that he's better "just cause". Akutsu has the upper hand here.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Btw, I dunno why I kept thinking that Akutsu has better stats, they both have 20.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Philia's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I pick Shiraishi. Because he's much more calm. Given enough time I think he'll adjust with Akutsu's style. Once Shiraishi starts dominating its over for Akutsu.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

...that didn't happen.

All we know is that Niou used synchro with the Mutsus, and that's it. Niou tricked the Mutsus. He and Oishi didn't show to be better. They won? Yes, but that's another topic (I already said this in my last post ).
    When Niou was Eiji and they were using synchro, they were winning, when Mutsus started using synchro, then Oishi had an idea, and they put it into action

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/new_p...04/c061/6.html

Did I say that didn't happen? no. But we DO KNOW that Mitsuya was overconfident and, if he had been completely serious or had some data about Inui, he would had won. Mitsuya is better, we know that (...if you don't agree, say why in the tier thread). "The best doesn't always win"(I said this in my last post x2).
    If he wasn't completely serious at first, wouldn't he have started to be once he started losing?

Actually, Shiraishi said that if Fuji's last shot in their match had been in, he would had lost... so apparently he can't return everything. Same with Kenya scoring 3 times against him using just speed (no special moves).

"What Shiraishi has going for him is that he can figure out how to return any tech used against him" Sadly, Akutsu doesn't have any techs... so, again, how's Shiraishi better?

Also, Shiraishi isn't Sanada nor Tezuka, not even close, lol.

As I said before, if people want to make this a popularity contest I don't mind it, I like Shiraishi way more than Akutsu, but it's just urealistic to think that he's better "just cause". Akutsu has the upper hand here.
    If akutsu doesn't have any special techs, how would he score on Shiraishi?
    Depending on the translation you look up, Shiraishi can also be seen saying that if he hadn't scored that shot, the game would have been tipped in Fuji's favor

Btw, I dunno why I kept thinking that Akutsu has better stats, they both have 20.
    really? I was wrong too, I thought Akutsu was better by like 1

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Akutsu vs Shiraishi

Depending on the translation you look up, Shiraishi can also be seen saying that if he hadn't scored that shot, the game would have been tipped in Fuji's favor
    Yeah there are Translations saying "had that shot gone in... I'd have been in trouble"
    But they all imply Fuji would have taken Shiraishi out.
    Since after 5thCounter, if Shiraishi cannot return the insane lob that comes after 5thCounter, considering they were at a tie-break, it would have definitely been Fuji's win.
    Which is why Kenya comes over to give Shiraishi some assurance that "The winner will win. Right?" or something like that.

If akutsu doesn't have any special techs, how would he score on Shiraishi?
    Akutsu is able to hit an Offensive shot from any physical position.
    In other words, no matter what awkward position he is on the court, he can hit back a shot that is either a lob or a drop or a strong forehand or backhand regardless.

Akutsu can definitely take points off of Shiraishi the same way Matsudaira/Miyako were in Doubles.

Actually its implied Niou stayed as one of the Mutsu's.
    Since Mutsu/Mutsu pair would utterly trash Oishi/Kikumaru!Niou Synchro.
    Niou Synchro-ing with the Mutsu's means he and Oishi knew everything in their minds and put Niou basically like... 10 steps ahead.
    You pretty much can't win a single point if your opponent knows every single place you're trying to hit the ball or how you're going to react a shot in exact detail.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast