Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Featured] Power Level Discussions

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power Level Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Toby_Temple View Post
    There are readers who are too enamored of the title master and grand master, missing the fact that there are murims who are already master level, even grand master level based on martial arts skill alone.

Like Dokhengrang/Lone Wolf. Anybody calling him master? No? So he's fodder trash among the murim? Didn't think so.

Even 9AD refered to Glasses Dude as a hidden master- type after their first skirmish.
    See now that's the problem with that concept shioon was going to clobber glasses dude does that make him a master? Hell no. In combat and ability yes he has too much to learn to be considered a master though. That's kinda my point though masters grand or not no one knows how these are determined in the Murim world. Everything is based off opinion really.
    Mr. Wonderland
    Psn: verbalinter39

myanimelist.net/Ishmael

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for fun, I punched in 'Martial Arts Grand Master' and got the wiki!

It's pretty short and has a number of interesting links.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Toby_Temple's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ish3 View Post
    See now that's the problem with that concept shioon was going to clobber glasses dude does that make him a master? Hell no. In combat and ability yes he has too much to learn to be considered a master though. That's kinda my point though masters grand or not no one knows how these are determined in the Murim world. Everything is based off opinion really.
    Look, that is just one example of a very powerful martial artists making an observation and conclude that X is a master type, which could mean at master level.

Kwon also made the same thing on Cool Guy during his first fight with Shioon.

And you have not address the Lone Wolf scenario. Is he a master level even if it was never mentioned or is he not a master level martial artists because it was never mentioned?

How about Hyuk? From 9AD to several other martial artists, he is referred to as a prodigy. I do not see any character referring to him as "master". So Hyuk is not a master level martial artists?

That is how ILLOGICAL the argument "it was never mentioned that X is a grand master/grand master level" is.
    Last edited by Toby_Temple; November 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    NO to KUROSAKI ICHIGO USING a BOW!!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as official titles go, i'd see it like this :

-Expert (Jinie)
    -Master(ha ill)
    -High master(elder jang jeong)
    -Grand master (elder kwon)

master title would be given by your school/clan, High master title by a grandmaster, and grand master title by the other grand master in place, maybe like a vote.
    well it's a guess anyway.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post
    nope they are talking about MASTER , GRAND MASTER stuff , how to become a grand master , Kang Sung not a grand master level and so on and it becomes a heated discussion so i moved it

and besides it's good to have a thread specifically for power levels because in the future we will not just talk about KANG SUNG or GMR's power levels but a lot of characters too so it's good

and also i agree on ish3's post about GMR always having a handicap and also gonna add that some of his fights are interrupted like the 3 old masters vs GMR Shiho arrived with a car and escaped and yes he hit the Te-Ul and the guy with a stick but that's because the focus of that 2 was on the car talking about that they closed all of the roads

also even if GMR's hand is not broken he could even have a hard time in the MMA building even with Shioon's KI he still got trashed by the FORMER MMA Chief until he went to BoT but that was before we don't know i he got stronger when he was with Kaiser
    9AD never got trashed by the MAA chief once he got Ki from Shioon. As soon as he got the ki he was shot from behind and then Shi-ho shielded him. After that he focused on saving her and didn't fight with the chief until after she was sniped then he destroyed the chief in 1 single hit. He was getting trashed before the Ki transfer because he was completely exhausted, the chief was clearly afraid of 9AD as he wouldn't even fight him until he was virtually out of Ki.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/the_b...9/c064/20.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/530-57969...hapter-72.html

^ In both of these links 9AD is basically stated to be the strongest. I don't see how anyone could possibly consider him below grand master level.

Kwon has never once been shown to obliterate a group of top tiers in an instant. He can blow a group of fodders away in an instant but I believe kangsung blowing away a group of master class fighters in an instant to be far more impressive. I'm not saying kwon would be far behind either of them, the gap between grand master and 9AD/Kangsung should be small but both of them at the very least should be above the grandmasters.

If I had to rank it would be like this.

1-9AD (BOT mode)
    2-9AD/Kangsung
    3-Grandmasters- Kwon/Shik
    4- Top tier munju- Yaoi boy/Sera's master should go here.
    5- Mid tier munju - The people who confronted 9AD with sera's master in part 1
    6- Low tier munju/supernova (Southern red star and the munju that BOT 9AD easily took out go here.)
    7- The stronger master level fighters- (Ha-il and the mountain ect)
    8- Mid tier masters- (Most of 9AD minions and most SUC captains)
    9- Low tier masters- Jini/Sera ect.

Naturally if you're a munju you would be ranked as a real master. I've seen a lot of people underestimate some of the munju that did battle with 9AD in part 1. They only lost after getting distracted by Shi-ho driving into the fight, before that they had a clear upperhand. Naturally any of them would've lost by themselves after a proper fight but I think as a group if Shi-ho didn't show up 9AD probably would have lost or atleast been forced to BOT against them. He clearly wasn't going to win against them with his arm in a sling and 3vs1 although I've seen multiple people say "He owned them".
    Last edited by somerand; November 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post

in terms of power level rankings here is mine

1. Chun Woo Han
    2. 10 Grand Masters
    3. Kang Sung
    4. Elders of a clan or schools
    5. Hyuk So Chun
    6. 4 Supernovas
    7. SUC Captains except Melon-chan and goth Girl
    ???? - Shioon (we don't know what Shioon is capable of)
    gonna change this

MMA
    1.10 Grand Masters
    2. Munjus/Elders
    3.Super Novas
    4.Lesser Clans

DRAGONS
    1. Chun Woo Han - Nine Arts Dragon
    2. Kang - Sung - Three Arts Dragon
    3. Lee Shioon - One Art Dragon (Seismic Step)
    --------------------------------------------------->>> i made a category on the Dragons because as i posted in the 10 Grand Master Thread GMR existence is not from this world , Kang-Sung near God status in Murim , Shioon's instinct is out of this world (Hyuk said it)

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ogag's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game Re: Power Level Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by somerand View Post
    If I had to rank it would be like this.

1-9AD (BOT mode)
    2-9AD/Kangsung
    3-Grandmasters- Kwon/Shik
    4- Top tier munju- Yaoi boy/Sera's master should go here.
    5- Mid tier munju - The people who confronted 9AD with sera's master in part 1
    6- Low tier munju/supernova (Southern red star and the munju that BOT 9AD easily took out go here.)
    7- The stronger master level fighters- (Ha-il and the mountain ect)
    8- Mid tier masters- (Most of 9AD minions and most SUC captains)
    9- Low tier masters- Jini/Sera ect.
    I agree with this ranking except for the mid tier munju. i think the other two munjus who confronted 9AD with sera's master were both top tier munjus. my top tier would also include hyuk so chun and the masked man who once collided with elder kwon. for mid tier munju skill level, my list would include lonewolf, glasses guy and dakeshi and demitri of black forest group. shioon as of now, should easily fit into top tier munju above glasses guy and lonewolf because of his spirit/copy technique.
    Last edited by Ogag; November 24, 2013 at 06:58 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Toby_Temple's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The munjus with Sera's sensei 9AD fought are essentially clan heads with the same position(murim title) as Unwol.

They had disciples who also competed in the Shinmujengpe. All lost to Chunwoo, who is Unwol's disciple.
    NO to KUROSAKI ICHIGO USING a BOW!!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think one mistake people are making is using the titles of 9AD and 3AD to measure Kang and Chun-woo.

The "X Arts Dragon" title comes from a tournament that the Murim holds to compete in the nine martial arts. The number you get is dependent on how many of the nine competitions you win. Now while it seems like Kang was just too weak to win all Nine seats, that would be a misconception. The murim felt that one person winning all nine seats would be too dangerous and upset the balance of the murim. Thus, it became tradition to NOT go for the title of Goomoonryong.

Kang clearly cares about the Murim and would be the type to simply stop at winning 3 seats once he saw the effect that his victories were having. 3 seats is still nothing to take lightly and if Kang WILLINGLY decided not to go after the last 6, it makes him an incredibly powerful fighter. That being said, I would have to say that Kang and Chun-woo are equal in strength. The two of them must know this since they are the only ones to have multiple seats; Chun-woo might even already know that Kang has the power to be a 9AD himself.

Edit: After re-reading the last five chapters of the first part of the series, Kang is clearly much more powerful than we give him credit for. While 9AD was in BOT, Kang was not only easily dodging his attacks but was also trying to subdue him; he probably could have killed 9AD if he wanted to. Also, Chun-woo seemed really spooked that Kang was ready to fight him. Though it could be because of their relationship, part of 9AD's power does come from his need for revenge.
    Last edited by Skyhound; December 18, 2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Adding more info.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dont think GMR is that powerful, I would rank him ( if there is an internal ranking of the 10 greatest masters) on the lower 5... idk say 8 or sth. Kang is a person of experience and a calm minded fighter totally contrary to GMR and that gives him an incredible advantage. I kind a agree that there are masters who can win 9 seats but didnt since murim might crumble.
    Not to mention 9AD couldnt defeat Hyuk in BOT and got slammed by the previous murim head and then scurried away on the heli saying its a good thing he is going away... ya right almost all of the 10 great masters on the roof while kang was enough to counter him and its a blessing he is going away and he expects people to believe that rot.

---------- Post added December 31, 2013 at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was December 29, 2013 at 08:21 AM ----------

Incidentally i think Uwol was the strongest character shown in the whole manga.. prolly difference between GMR and uwol is similar to say difference between Shiwoon and Gmr himself. Uwol was a srs bad@$$

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Elder Kwon's title as a grand master is really 100% accurate because of chapter 145

and now i'm gonna change my list again hahaha

Power Levels
    1.10 Grand Masters
    2.Clan Elders
    3.Chun-Woo Han
    4.Kang-Sung
    5.Supernovas
    Last edited by kidopitz27; January 26, 2014 at 06:15 AM.

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Feature] Power Level Discussions

9AD vs Kang - do you agree with my statement in saying 9AD was far more powerful than Kang?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    9AD vs Kang - do you agree with my statement in saying 9AD was far more powerful than Kang?
    Yes! Yes I do. But the difference isn't so much in ki level as it is in their fighting styles. Kang Sung fights too honestly and conventionally whereas GMR makes much of it up as he goes along. He even uses many of the same skills but in more unconventional ways.

Even the previous MAA Chief thinks similarly about Kang Sung. Although it is a different situation.
    Last edited by Wowzers; February 15, 2014 at 08:35 AM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    Are you referring to their recent fight or is this a general question?

As for the recent fight, yes Chun Woo Han was indeed shown more powerful and superior to Kang Sung. I think Kang Sung relied too much on his reflection technique and lacked lethal strikes. It was clear from the beginning that this technique won't bring him far against someone like Chun Woo Han without the additional usage of some powerful offensive techniques. On top of that, the reflection technique was rendered useless by Chun Woo Han in a matter of seconds/minutes, which was quite impressive. But the fight was interrupted before Kang Sung could use the All Counter Origins Strike. Which leads to two possible scenarios:
    • Kang Sung is able to connect the All Counter Origins Strike and kills Chun Woo Han and himself.
    • Chun Woo Han is either able to avoid/dodge or survive the All Counter Origins Strike.
    The first scenario places both of them on the same level, the latter obviously puts Chun Woo Han above Kang Sung. Plotwise Chun Woo Han takes it anyway.
    • ⁞ Signature by ThePowha ⁞ •

• ⁞ Tower of God Section136th FloorToG Section's Lighthouse ⁞ •

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Power Level Discussions

i just noticed this but is Kang-Sung that kind of land based fighter? i mean he doesn't have an aerial attacks? i mean he earned the title of 3AD and yet no aerial attack?

when he fought 9AD (Breaker and Breaker NW)he only used 3 techs (Split Heaven Kick, Focus Stomp , Reflection Tech) and no aerial attacks i mean 9AD saw the weakness of Reflection Tech and yet Kang-Sung always want to use the reflection tech even knowing that his tech was useless anymore

i mean if Kang-Sung fights Elder Kwon the result will be Elder Kwon schooling Kang-Sung

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast