Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shingeki No Kyojin, Gaiden: Kuinaki Sentaku (A Choice with No Regrets)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BobobVanBlob's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Shingeki No Kyojin, Gaiden: Kuinaki Sentaku (A Choice with No Regrets)

Because of the first chapter of SnK Midget Edition, we can now open a proper discussion thread for this spin-off, therefore...

Story :
    Gan Sunaaku
    Art : Hikaru Suruga
    Published in : Aria

Story based on the A Choice With No Regrets visual novel. This manga focuses on Levi, and the events happening in it are prequel to the main story by Hajime Isayama.

Because "Levi spin off ?" is not the best type of thread name, and well we need to celebrate this first chapter !

Enjoy, genle(wo)men !
    Last edited by BobobVanBlob; November 28, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    WAHAHA~ My anime list - - tsil agnam yM ~AHAHAW

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki No Kyojin, Gaiden: Kuinaki Sentaku (A Choice with No Regrets)

Well, all I can say is my favourite character senses are going nuts over cute, little Isabel How cute is she!

Wish it had been paced a bit differently, giving us more time to explore the trio instead of going straight to Levi giving in to Kyuubey Erwin. (On that note, the little girl they showed in one panel resembled Madoka.... the weird Madoka-related jokes in this chapter had me giggling for longer than they should've. Much longer.)

But overall, this was solid, and I can't wait to see where they're taking this.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Farlan and Isabel will join the Survey Corps too...

Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the impression that Erwin was after Levi only, but it could well be that once he makes the choice to join, they will want to follow (Farlan somewhat less so/with more hesitation than Isabel), depending on how close they consider themselves to be.

Once and if that happens though, we know for sure they're dead.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much of an opinion since this chapter was a bit underwhelming for me. Nothing happened, and the stuff that did happen we already knew about or we already predicted. The pacing was slow and there was very little dialogue, not a bad thing, but for a first chapter I was expecting a bit more. Maybe it's slow because they are converting the visual novel into a monthly manga.... gotta stretch it for all that it's worth...butI don't think that ACWNR is going to be a super long manga series.

The first chapter starts off with Erwin and company going to the underground to chase Levi and the other two. Why? Does it have to do with that 10 page prologue? I interpreted the chapter just like Faerie. To me, Erwin was just going after Levi so he probably knew quite a bit about him, about his crimes and heard how good he was with the 3DMG, and thought that he could be a good asset to have in the Survey Corps. After all, in the prologue, Erwin had a "look" that clearly said he was interested in getting Levi and in chapter 1 he got him.
    What kind of crimes did Levi and crew commit? hopefully we will know about them in the chapters to come.I am really curious about that. Is he an arms trafficker? human trafficker? does he steal from the rich to give to the poor? Does he steal stuff just for himself and his crew alla Lupin? idk...but since Erwin said that he could forget about Levi's crimes as long as he joined the survey corps then I think the plot will close the door on this and not mention his crimes again, maybe we will get something in passing.

At this stage, I'm not really interested in Isabel and Farlan, they are gonna disappear soon anyways, probably titan food. All I want to know is how they die (if they die, they could be alive or have disappeared somehow) and what impact their deaths (disappearance/whatever the situation) had on Levi. I see them as props to further Levi's character development than anything else.

I can't wait to see more of Erwin, Mike and Hanji. I want to know about Erwin's past as well, so hopefully ACWNR will include something (anything!) about that.
    Last edited by Georgie; November 29, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the chapter, even if only because it had more interesting content (and characters I care about) than Before The Fall has had so far. The 3dmg-off was fun for me to take in. Would be awesome to see that animated, but even just reading and imagining it for myself (with my own choice of "camera angles," lighting, and so on) is fun too. I was also quite surprised about Erwin recruiting Levi just like that (though technically I was spoiled on it in the other thread ). As others have said, I expect Isabel and Farlan to join Recon along with Levi and then bite it pretty fast of course, and that will be a major point of development for Levi obviously. But you know what else? I used to think that Erwin and Levi (in the present storyline) might have secretly had a longstanding antagonistic relationship, but as of chapter 51 and this prologue, I no longer think so. I think now that Erwin's going to play a huge role in consoling/inspiring Levi after the death of his comrades. Then, Levi will probably mentally convert each and every member of the Survey Corps into surrogates for his lost friends (who are probably like family to him). So I'm very interested to see what happens!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kokeshi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shout out/Thanks BobobVanBlob, Faerie, TheOwl, Georgie & kannazuki-san (I still can't 'thank' or 'like' your posts, I have Java issues). I've read all of your posts.

So, IMO, I haven't given up on learning more about Levi's past in the underground (and about Farlan & Isabel, for that matter) just because we jumped into Erwin's immediate appearance and demands. ACWNR is published in ARIA, a shojou mangazine, not a shounen mangazine (shoujo tend to go into more back-history/personal details more frequently, but again, that's IMO). Even Isayama himself has his characters remember past scenarios in untimely circumstances, so maybe we'll see see more of the recent/distant past as the story progresses. Damn, I hope so.

I think since all 3 (Levi, Isabel, Farlan) are amazing w/3DMG, capturing all 3 was a win-win-win for Erwin (not just catching Levi). Farlan makes it clear to Levi that whatever he chooses, they will follow, so I assume all 3 head into the Survey Corps.

My biggest disappointment so far has been the Erwin is wearing the infamous 'bolo-tie' of power, only worn by commanders/highest ranking chiefs in SNK military. In the SNK manga & anime, Erwin hadn't received that rank yet as of the year 844. I'm hoping for canon clarification, but its honestly not significant enough to keep me up at night.

Other than that, Levi probably wants to kill Erwin for forcing him to make death-sentence choices for not just himself, but for his 2 comrades as well ... or maybe its because Erwin had Mike shove Levi's face in nasty sewer/toilet mud several times. Enough to hate someone controlling you.

Lot's of fangirl/fanboy Levi shots (and Erwin shots, and Mike shots), no doubt, but it makes sense for Isayama to have given a thumbs-up to this side-story for Levi (while not writing/drawing it himself). I think Isayama is open to the directions the SNK fandom leap into (and is willing to profit from it as well, he's no fool), but I DO NOT think that Isayama will allow anything major to happen to his characters in either side story (Choice with No Regrets & Before the Fall). Maybe minor infractures, but nothing that will not be important in SNK manga itself.

Last, I've read complaints about the artwork in ACWNR. Everything outside of Isayama's art is a Choice with No Regrets for Isayama himself. My biggest complaint is for the skinny bobble-headed advertisements (that still crack me up).

9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kokeshi View Post
    Lot's of fangirl/fanboy Levi shots (and Erwin shots, and Mike shots), no doubt, but it makes sense for Isayama to have given a thumbs-up to this side-story for Levi (while not writing/drawing it himself). I think Isayama is open to the directions the SNK fandom leap into (and is willing to profit from it as well, he's no fool), but I DO NOT think that Isayama will allow anything major to happen to his characters in either side story (Choice with No Regrets & Before the Fall). Maybe minor infractures, but nothing that will not be important in SNK manga itself.
    Right, but some decently tension- and conflict-ridden character-building events would be nice.

Quote Quote:
    Last, I've read complaints about the artwork in ACWNR. Everything outside of Isayama's art is a Choice with No Regrets for Isayama himself. My biggest complaint is for the skinny bobble-headed advertisements (that still crack me up).
    What kind of complaints??? I think I saw something too but strangely, I've forgotten what the complaint was, aside from characters like Isabel looking out of place while the others look like cleaner emulations of Isayama's drawings. If it's only the odd character here or there, it doesn't bother me overly much though. Kind of like your bolo tie of awesomeness deal.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I've not heard many complaints about the art yet, but I guess it is very "pretty" compared to Isayama's gritty, shonen style.
    As far as shoujo manga go, it's not too bad though... so far, I quite like it.

If I could have one wish, it would be that, defying absolutely every single last expectation, Isabel and Farlan magically do not die and are still part of his life to this day (like Oruo's family we got to see in the anime. Important to the character, but not to the overall plot). And do not get used as just predictable plot-devices.
    Kyuubey-Erwin, I am willing to become a mahou shoujo and make a contract with you for this wish. Please contact me.

Since that's not likely to happen, reiterating what I was worried about when this was first announced, I hope that there will NOT be any real fanservice, I already got a bit queasy seeing some fangirls basically lose it about which of their yaoi pairings would now become (!!!) canon. Actually, "become canon".... v___v
    I hope that remains the realm of fan works, just out of respect for those who aren't interested fujoshi-type material- there are separate shows and series for that taste.
    Same as when I first said it, no offense intended to those who enjoy fanservice, yaoi and related series, I just would not like to see something I enjoy turned into something it wasn't conceived to be.

Ideally, I'm hoping for some surprises that we don't already expect. Probably not though, but either way, I can't wait to see Hange! Will she still be in her angry phase? That will be fun

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call the art style especially "pretty," though. Nothing's glittering or covered in flowers as of yet. It's just got cleaner lines and more proper shading than Isayama's drawings do. I wasn't under the impression he had rough lines on purpose anyhow. It's just part of the evolution of his style. If you look at the early draft and one-shot of SnK and, you can see how he's been working on making his own art style cleaner too. That's just the norm in the industry really.

Hahaha good luck on the mahou shoujo thing.

There are always going to be fans who say and do things we don't like or aren't interested in. It's probably best not to concern yourself with what every single fan out there thinks of the story or its characters. I can understand people not liking BL (I don't really care for the vast majority of it myself), and everyone's free to talk about what they do/don't like about the genre but can we please not just outright bash people who enjoy the BL genre?

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the clean art style in ACWNR. I don't think Erwin, Mike and Levi look that much different than in SNK...they just look cleaner, smoother, brighter. lol. But I really do hate how Isabel and Farlan are drawn, they look like typical shoujo characters, especially Isabel who looks like a magical girl with her big round eyes and "anime hair" and bubbly personality and Farlan looks like your typical handsome love interest...ugh....I'm surprised they don't have pink and green hair...the horror. Anyways, even though I don't like their designs, I can overlook them, because, well, they are gonna probably die soon anyways.

pppppfffft don't worry about those shipping wars. Some fangirls can be insane. All the drama was coming from one side anyways. It was hilarious to see it happen at the same time extremely annoying. No one was talking about the chapter itself, instead they concentrated on shipping. Can they not?

Anyways, I'm ranting, like I said, the chapter was underwhelming and very slow. I'm sure chapter two is going to be way more exciting and we will find more info and answers.

It will be really cool to see how Erwin's squad all got to know and trust each other.

Also, I am very curious to know their ages. ah!
    Last edited by Georgie; December 02, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Highgarden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I also quite like the art. It's very crisp and clean. Any new characters would initially look out of place, I think, that just comes with the lack of familiarity alone- adapting pre-existing characters is easier than imagining how someone else would design new ones. Out of the two, Farlan looks more like he could've been designed by Isayama and not stick out if he appeared in the main series. At least I can easily imagine him in that art style. It's Isabel's hair and weird green trousers that stick out a bit, because it's drawn so spiky. Imagine her pigtails and fringe a bit more soft and naturally flowing and the trousers more mossy rather than bright, artificially green, and it's not too bad. She only sticks out to the extend that Rico (or Christa) sticks out in the main series.

Not sure I'd call her bubbly exactly, she reminds me a bit of a female Eren, weirdly, whereas a friend thought she was "crazy" (harsh xD). Farlan's personality is pretty typical though, from what we can tell, but that's why I'd like to see them fleshed out a bit before their inevitable demise, so they're not just plot devices without much else going for them.

Bit lengthy explanation of my previous BL-related statement:
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by Faerie; December 02, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather than "bubbly" I'd call Isabel something like "prickly" or "impish."

Spoiler: @Faerie: show

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kokeshi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI...
    White Flower Translations has the English Chapter 2 posted on their tumblr account, as well as the SNK Visual Novel: A Choice with No Regrets parts 1-3 (it's the same story but ahead of Aria's, so major spoilers for future Aria editions)...

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have to say this second chapter seals a certain two people's fate, as well as making it harder not to get attached to them...
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast