Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 587 by BadKarma , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think HxH can still work well if some of it's characters were genderbent?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Dark Matter's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think HxH can still work well if some of it's characters were genderbent?

I was thinking about this considering the ambiguity of Kurapika's gender in Nippon's adaption, despite we know pretty well he's male. Kurapika as a female IMO wouldn't really make that much of difference concerning his character, especially when Kurapika's smarts and level-headedness can present itself fantasically even if Togashi made him a girl. Seeing her on the path of vengeance would be a bit tougher to see considering what pain she goes through along the way. Leorio as a young lady when he's got that bro-like air around him would be a headache for me. Female Killua would still be pretty cool and tomboyish, but may appear to be more frail than her male counterpart when it comes to Illumi and her 'curse'. I can't help but think that Girl Gon would be really amusing to watch consider how bright, determined, and short-tempered she'd be. Female Gon would be a bit more scarier seeing a small girl showing that insane and monstrous aspect of her as the series continues. Would also prefer if both Killua and Gon were of the gender since their little rivalries and friendship seems to be more entertaining that way, and I'll be a little less inclined to think that one of them share 'special' feelings for each other, which would kind of ruin it for me.

So that's my take on it. What about you guys? Are any other characters you can/can't picture getting genderbent too? This basically involves little to no difference to anyone's personality and background btw.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Zoro Zoldyck's Avatar
    Country
    Iraq
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you think HxH can still work well if some of it's characters were genderbent?

Hmm idk it's a cool idea but I like my HXH guys XD , Nice Kuroko avatar btw :P

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Coyote Starrk's Avatar
    Country
    Chile
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you think HxH can still work well if some of it's characters were genderbent?

Girl Leorio would be really disturbing lol, but yeah some characters like gon or kurapika actuallly could be fun to see a girl version of them
    I am not alone.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Illumi?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a female Hisoka? lol

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hokageji's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Hisoka is not genderbent, or orientation bent.... he seems to be paedophilic... lol
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” - Terry Prachett

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the zoldyk kids minus fatso and killua are genderbent

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apellon's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

nop , i like the way it is right now … kurapika actually could be actually a girl eventho i m not sure it would add anything to the story…
    but i like how Killua is right now ,,, the anime especially the new ones ( 2011), make him sound a little too much on the" love " with Gon …. that sometime leads to beleive that it could be more than just bro'love …. but in the manga , its very clear ... killua only real friend and brother he really ever had or wished to have is gon , gon is the only person that could make killua change and could open him up to who he really was inside , under the skins of the assassin he was trained to be … thats why he respect and love him so much … but love as in family brother love...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

The only character who could work genderbent is Kurapika. It would have actually been cooler if he was a girl bcuz you usually don't see girls be apart of vengeance plots. Also he would have been a strong female character which there are a severe lack of in anime. And on top of that she would have been ruthless which is again something you don't see in girl characters that often. He could have been that japanese kill bill lol. And it would have diversified the main cast and ppl wouldn't be able to compare kurapika to kurama and the main cast to the YYH main cast. But oh well. Togashi just loves makin dudes look like girls (like Kalluto, Pitou, Alluka etc.).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member GalekC's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people already think Kura's a girl. even the 2011 anime-only watchers.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GalekC View Post
    Lots of people already think Kura's a girl. even the 2011 anime-only watchers.
    Nah togashi doesnt draw his girls like that, kura with the longer hair in that one intro song looked kind feminine but overall his traits all point to male

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i would really love hisoka being female.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member GalekC's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REN KOUEN View Post
    Nah togashi doesnt draw his girls like that, kura with the longer hair in that one intro song looked kind feminine but overall his traits all point to male
    I'm talking about how there are some who pay no mind to Kurapika being referred to as 'he.'

Perhaps that has to do with the scene between him and Chrollo..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I don't think it'll work. Mainly due to recurrent themes of Gon growing up and becoming a man which I don't think it'll work the same with female characters.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurapika and Pitou are the only ones here i can think of.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast