Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 757 by cnet128 , Bleach 593 by cnet128 , Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does Toriko compare to the other manga you're reading?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Buranchi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How does Toriko compare to the other manga you're reading?

I'd have to say it's my favorite, easily. As for why, well, there's a multitude of reasons.

- Amazing characters. Seriously, I love most, if not all of the characters in this series. They all have unique personalities with unique abilities.

- Varied world. So many amazing locations. Toriko can pull off things that other series can't. Ice cream mountains? Sure. Gum drop forest? Why not? It's akin to Willy Wonka.

- Awesome fights. As I said previously, everyone has such unique abilities. Plus, Mitsutoshi knows how to perfectly hype a fight, and actually manage to live up to it.

- Stellar pacing. This one goes without saying. Anyone that's even remotely familiar with the series knows exactly what I'm talking about here. There's under 300 chapters, and yet the series feels like more has progressed than series who have 2 to 3 times as many chapters.

There's more reasons, but I think you guys catch my drift.
    Last edited by Buranchi; December 01, 2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Clarification.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How does Toriko compare to the other manga you're reading?

Well, I don't really know if it's good to compare Toriko to other manga. Mostly because they are too diffirent.
    At the same time I would say that Toriko is one of my most favourite manga along with One Piece.
    It has so many things to offer: great plot, vivid characters and interesting villains. Also the concept of the Toriko world is so unique and interesting!

P.S. It would be great if you managed to elaborate a bit more in your opening post.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    Well, I don't really know if it's good to compare Toriko to other manga. Mostly because they are too diffirent.
    I meant, enjoyment wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    P.S. It would be great if you managed to elaborate a bit more in your opening post.
    Done.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, enjoyment wise I see Toriko among the top Shounens currently. Only One Piece can battle it IMHO.

The pacing is really incredible. It might be the best for now. Not too fast and not too dragged.

I enjoy characters and their designs. The only thing Toriko might lack are hot women. It might be one of the reasons why it doesn't have as many followers as Big Three.

I agree about the fights. As for me they are among the best ones currently. I also like that most of fighting styles are connected to manga theme - eating Food.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Cedre's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

But Toriko treats its female characters as human and no fanservice objects.

Which is something more mangas should do. Also I agree with Buranchi´s points on the first post.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like so many other manga play up the female sex appeal thing. It's pretty refreshing that Toriko doesn't focus on that. Although, yeah, it probably doesn't help with the popularity of the series. Plus, it doesn't seem like Mitsutoshi can draw women all that well, so it's probably for the best, lol.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member senadtm87's Avatar
    Country
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

I fell wird when i see Toriko fighting for his "friend"(Komatsu) like he is most valuable person on the planet(which should be his future wife), and the crying should stop eventually, but its still one of the best mangas. I read a lot of magic/fighting/supernatural mangas/manwhas so its long list of comparisons.
    Because we have lack of sexy female characters its good that we dont have sexual focused scenes
    (excluding Rin, Nono ,Tina,Melk II but they arent main characters except maybe Tina)
    Last edited by senadtm87; December 03, 2013 at 08:20 AM.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

We are talking about the manga tho, and tina is an anime character. Toriko has several female characters

(outdated, needs Joahze in the very center)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member junjun2's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko's my favorite too. Toriko, Kingdom and Hunter Hunter are my current favorite manga in battle/action category. Actually I can say that Kingdom and Hunter are my top 2 battle manga in all time. One piece? Shingeki? Terra Formars ? nah... *Just my opinion.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece, Toriko, and One Punch Man are series I can count on to be entertaining each release. Though, Toriko and One Punch Man have better pacing than One Piece. One of the big things I enjoy in series like these is the vastness of the universe and how the world is built. The strong can be found anywhere and you aren't going to win every battle (except in the case of One Punch Man).

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko does quite fair compared to other serieses I've read so far. I really enjoy reading it. But I won't praise this story to the skies, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buranchi View Post
    I'd have to say it's my favorite, easily. As for why, well, there's a multitude of reasons.

- Amazing characters. Seriously, I love most, if not all of the characters in this series. They all have unique personalities with unique abilities.
    To me, many characters look the same. Buranchi for example is to me based off the same character concept like Ichiryuu, Toriko and Zebra...

Unique abilities is what Toriko has in common with other Shounen series.

- Varied world. So many amazing locations. Toriko can pull off things that other series can't. Ice cream mountains? Sure. Gum drop forest? Why not? It's akin to Willy Wonka.
    No difference to One Piece except it's a world made of food instead of rock, water and clouds.

- Awesome fights. As I said previously, everyone has such unique abilities. Plus, Mitsutoshi knows how to perfectly hype a fight, and actually manage to live up to it.
    Uhm, I wasn't hyped for any battle in Toriko manga anyway more than I was in One Piece, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball or any manga I've read that involve fights while not ending up in reciting attack names mechanically.

- Stellar pacing. This one goes without saying. Anyone that's even remotely familiar with the series knows exactly what I'm talking about here. There's under 300 chapters, and yet the series feels like more has progressed than series who have 2 to 3 times as many chapters.
    The pacing will become slower after about 300-400 chapters. It's natural for long-term manga serieses with a TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedre View Post
    But Toriko treats its female characters as human and no fanservice objects.
    Fan Service doesn't treat female characters like objects necessarily - fan service is as much part of the manga culture as brutal and bloody fights.

Anyways, there aren't many good looking female characters in Toriko which anyone would want to see fan service of... What readers get instead are naked muscular male characters - which is also fan service.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but the OP New World (and the Grand Like back then) were overly hyped as really dangerous places, yet you get in there and see regular powerless people having cities and living normal lifes (of course depending on the pirates that are around)

Yet Toriko gives a single step into the Gourmet World and he´s obliberated within seconds. It´s not just landscapes made of food. Is nature beating the fuck outta you for coming before being ready.

In OP the problem of most places is the people in there. In Toriko is the nature hitting you back and forth for getting cocky.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but the OP New World (and the Grand Like back then) were overly hyped as really dangerous places, yet you get in there and see regular powerless people having cities and living normal lifes (of course depending on the pirates that are around)
    So? The sea was said to be rough and dangerous. That didn't mean that no one lived there.

New World can't be overhyped as readers just have seen the second island. And one of them was nearly inhabitant. We should judge about NW once it's over.

Yet Toriko gives a single step into the Gourmet World and he´s obliberated within seconds
    Nowhere different from Luffy fighting Magellan in Impel Down or Luffy fighting the Admirals in Marineford... He barely survived, too.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    To me, many characters look the same. Buranchi for example is to me based off the same character concept like Ichiryuu, Toriko and Zebra...
    Zebra I can understand, since they're both bad boys (which was specifically noted in-story) but I'm not seeing the similarities to Ichiryuu and Toriko?

Unique abilities is what Toriko has in common with other Shounen series.
    Sure, but I'm of the opinion that Toriko's abilities are more unique than most other series. At least, of the ones I've read.

No difference to One Piece except it's a world made of food instead of rock, water and clouds.
    This isn't a fair criticism, since you can literally compare anything with anything else if you over-simplify it to it's most basic elements.

Uhm, I wasn't hyped for any battle in Toriko manga anyway more than I was in One Piece, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball or any manga I've read that involve fights while not ending up in reciting attack names mechanically.
    Okay? I didn't say that everyone had to be hyped, or that everyone necessarily was. I was really only talking about my personal experiences/opinions. I've spoken to a lot of people (not on this forum) that were extremely hyped, though.

The pacing will become slower after about 300-400 chapters. It's natural for long-term manga serieses with a TV show.
    I'm talking about the here and the now. I don't have a crystal ball that can see into the future. Toriko airs right before One Piece, so it'll probably get decent ratings even if they have to start doing filler arcs.

Nowhere different from Luffy fighting Magellan in Impel Down or Luffy fighting the Admirals in Marineford... He barely survived, too.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you keep making One Piece comparisons?
    Last edited by Buranchi; December 08, 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I am looking forward for Toriko more than other manga in Jump even though I am a huge OP fan.
    For all the manga I am reading compared to Toriko well all are on the same level that I am looking forward to the next chapter but TOG/Kingdom/Toriko/One Piece are the ones that I really look forward to

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast